Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House prices

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2014, 12:21 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Then the is no market only landlords unilaterally charging whatever rent they feel like. I have to laugh at your post.

Yes it's true that landlords can charge what they want on the tendency agreement but it doesn't mean that they will get anyone to sign it. Contary to what you may think not all rental properties are BTL so the BTL landlords have to compare with non-BTL landlords for 'customers'.

You still haven't explained why BTL landlords are not charging more now. According to you they can just charge what they like.
You've just answered your question again.

Last edited by jonc; 21 August 2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 21 August 2014, 12:42 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonc
You've just answered your question again.
I don't see the logic, perhaps you can spell it out?
Old 21 August 2014, 12:48 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Ok, maybe you should just stick with landlords being nice.
Old 21 August 2014, 12:49 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Choose your parents carefully..!!
Old 21 August 2014, 12:51 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Choose your parents carefully..!!
Old 21 August 2014, 12:56 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Ok, maybe you should just stick with landlords being nice.
I'm afraid you have no argument. The rental market cannot just tolerate price rises to any levels that landlords see fit. People move overseas, move back in with parents, house share, this is the demand side of the supply and demand.
Old 21 August 2014, 01:21 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid you have no argument. The rental market cannot just tolerate price rises to any levels that landlords see fit. People move overseas, move back in with parents, house share, this is the demand side of the supply and demand.
I wasn't trying argue a point, merely trying explain to you why landlords charge what they charge for rent. I have no idea where you got that idea that landlords can charge whatever they like. And now you've just stated what I have said all along, that the market dictates what is charged. Until you move overseas or back in with your parents, or house share, you will continue to tolerate the levels that landlords charge.

See, I told you that you'd be able to answer your own question.
Old 21 August 2014, 03:37 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I wasn't trying argue a point, merely trying explain to you why landlords charge what they charge for rent. I have no idea where you got that idea that landlords can charge whatever they like. And now you've just stated what I have said all along, that the market dictates what is charged. Until you move overseas or back in with your parents, or house share, you will continue to tolerate the levels that landlords charge.

See, I told you that you'd be able to answer your own question.
You continue to equivocate between what landlords would like to charge and what the market will bear. You still haven't explained how landlords are able to pass on the costs of rises in interest rates. Trying to say that because I might tolerate a small increase in rent (which you haven't demonstrated even) then the market price would rise is a form of an ecological fallacy.

For any normal good the demand goes down if prices rise.
Old 21 August 2014, 04:13 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1036752128/h98B4FC84/
Old 21 August 2014, 04:51 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I have no idea where you got that idea that landlords can charge whatever they like.
See below:

Landlords charge whatever the market rate is, ie what people are willing to pay. When interest rates rises, you can bet landlords will pass on the rate increase to their tenants.
Old 21 August 2014, 04:55 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

It just gets better with you.
Old 21 August 2014, 05:25 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
It just gets better with you.
Did you find out why the rental market doesn't function like a market for normal goods?

Let's call it your homework.
Old 21 August 2014, 07:15 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you find out why the rental market doesn't function like a market for normal goods?

Let's call it your homework.

Because having a roof over your head is not the same as buying coffee??
Old 21 August 2014, 07:20 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Because having a roof over your head is not the same as buying coffee??
I already showed examples of how demand can diminish in response to an increase in price. It that sense rental properties are like any other commodity.
Old 21 August 2014, 08:11 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

I have no idea where you got that idea that landlords can charge whatever they like.
See below:

Landlords charge whatever the market rate is, ie what people are willing to pay. When interest rates rises, you can bet landlords will pass on the rate increase to their tenants.
Nothing like a bit of selective quoting out of context! Try reading the rest of the quote.

You continue to equivocate between what landlords would like to charge and what the market will bear.
Quote me where I've done that.

You still haven't explained how landlords are able to pass on the costs of rises in interest rates.
Yes I have, not my fault if you chose to ignore it.

Trying to say that because I might tolerate a small increase in rent (which you haven't demonstrated even) then the market price would rise is a form of an ecological fallacy.
If you say so.

For any normal good the demand goes down if prices rise.
Yes it does but currently demand for rental property far exceeds supply hence why people are currently prepared to pay more.
Old 21 August 2014, 08:45 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Yes it does but currently demand for rental property far exceeds supply hence why people are currently prepared to pay more.
So why aren't landlords maximising profit at the moment and increasing price so the market is at equilibrium?

Please explain.
Old 21 August 2014, 08:49 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Yes I have, not my fault if you chose to ignore it.
No just simply asserted that they can pass on price. Apparently talk of rental agreements and contract is 'evidence' that they can pass prices on. You confuse the fact that prices can be increased (your claim) with the facts of their increase (the use of rental agreements).

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 21 August 2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 21 August 2014, 09:41 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Look TDW, I'm not here to educate you, if you want answers on market equilibrium of the rental market, use Google. I've given you common sense answers but clearly that is not enough for you and I've gone as far as I'm willing to go on this discussion, well I say discussion but it's more like talking to a brick wall. There has already been countless discussions in numerous threads going over the same thing and it's clear you are not looking for answers, but merely to feed your obsession with landlords and property. We get it, you rent and clearly you hate it, but no one is forcing you to rent so get over it.
Old 22 August 2014, 01:52 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

On the subject of rents its often stated that they have increased drastically. I don't think they have actually.

Given the high price of property and low wage growth at the moment the only way to really get a good yield is with a HMO. It's something I've been looking into, basically I need to squeeze ten TDWs into one property and sharing kitchen and bathroom facilities to get that yield up
Old 22 August 2014, 02:21 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

On the subject of rents its often stated that they have increased drastically. I don't think they have actually.

Given the high price of property and low wage growth at the moment the only way to really get a good yield is with a HMO. It's something I've been looking into, basically I need to squeeze ten TDWs into one property and sharing kitchen and bathroom facilities to get that yield up
Been doing it for years, my grand mother started it in the late 50's, boarding house for working men, mostly Irish up to 4 men sharing one room in a big old victorian house, pack em in like sardines.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 22 August 2014 at 02:23 AM.
Old 22 August 2014, 03:38 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Been doing it for years, my grand mother started it in the late 50's, boarding house for working men, mostly Irish up to 4 men sharing one room in a big old victorian house, pack em in like sardines.
Yup, we are back to that 'Rising Damp' type set up (if you are old enough to remember)

I've been trying to avoid it but it may well be the only way forward in London. I have encountered people making a living from 'rent 2 rent'. They will pay you, for example, £1500 pcm for your house but then rent it to others at £500 pcm per room including the living rooms so for a 3 bed, 2 rec house that's £2500 pcm. So they'll make £1000 per house without ever needing to find the capital or taking the risk of actually buying.

Now that my dear TDW is a real rentier even in my books
Old 22 August 2014, 08:04 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Yup, we are back to that 'Rising Damp' type set up (if you are old enough to remember)

I've been trying to avoid it but it may well be the only way forward in London. I have encountered people making a living from 'rent 2 rent'. They will pay you, for example, £1500 pcm for your house but then rent it to others at £500 pcm per room including the living rooms so for a 3 bed, 2 rec house that's £2500 pcm. So they'll make £1000 per house without ever needing to find the capital or taking the risk of actually buying.

Now that my dear TDW is a real rentier even in my books
The owner must be lazy as hell.