Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Newage to Classic - Am I mad?

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2014, 07:25 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

New age to classic is the way forward as I'm thinking of moving a few parts from my car to a nice white RA, just need to find the car and make it scare the **** out of you when you accelerate
Old 19 September 2014, 07:29 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

i am also stuck between a newage and a classic as my next impreza.

i have been offered a blinding blobeye with a gt30/zen built 2.5/perrin fmic etc BUT its a blue blob and every **** and his dog has a blue blob thats why im also considering a classic.

rust is my main concern (mainly the rear arches)

the car wont be a daily driver as i have my vectra estate for the daily work hack.

ive never understood the p1 thing as they command such a high price and they are not as good as a type r

as for a £4k rebuild...........there is no need to spend that much at all,motor s gt on here (paul finch) has a rebuilt bottom end (sti 8 spec) for £1700 which is a bargain,just add heads and gaskets (£450) then a timing kit/water pump/oil pump etc and you under £3k

or buy a used sti 8 engine from mattyb on here,he is knocking them out @ £1k at the minute so with all new timing kit etc etc your looking at £2k

i love older cars i really do especially old evos/impreza's and i think if i dont own one now i will regret it.

when i had my 1st impreza i was blind-sided by it as i had always wanted one but it was a wrx blob and i spent buckets of cash turning it into an sti and certain members on here tried telling me its a waste of money but i couldnt see it,looking back now i realise i have wasted my cash thats why my next impreza wont be a rush purchase.
Old 19 September 2014, 07:35 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Gt30 on a 2.5ltr won't be that impressive, it will run out of puff at 6000rpm and depending on spec of the turbo and ecu I would expect 500bhp as a sensible power and add that to the extra weight of the new age.

The good thing with the newwge is once you hit a limit where the chassis on a classic feels it needs a cage the new age is fine
Old 19 September 2014, 07:36 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
New age to classic is the way forward as I'm thinking of moving a few parts from my car to a nice white RA, just need to find the car and make it scare the **** out of you when you accelerate
Always said your old newage had a weight problem Steve get all your gear chucked into a lightweight classic shell drop the power below 600bhp 2 things you get a car that will go like **** off a shovel and reliability of sorts ho and add a cage to make the shell a bit more ridgid

Last edited by gussy; 19 September 2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 19 September 2014, 07:37 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

i know a company that suplys and fits engines for 1000. plus take your old engine.

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Trust me, engine builds are never that simple, or cheap. Plus I couldn't be without a car for a couple of months.
Old 19 September 2014, 07:39 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Gussy, I'm going to be sensible and build a stripped out car around 450bhp and once I have the ***** to go flat out in 5th gear bends in that spec my gt35r goes on and the power goes to a fun level in a very light car
Old 19 September 2014, 07:44 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Gt30 on a 2.5ltr won't be that impressive, it will run out of puff at 6000rpm and depending on spec of the turbo and ecu I would expect 500bhp as a sensible power and add that to the extra weight of the new age.

The good thing with the newwge is once you hit a limit where the chassis on a classic feels it needs a cage the new age is fine
its making 416 @ 1.4 bar at the mintue as the injectors/standard ecu are holding it back

440ftLbs tho
Old 19 September 2014, 07:51 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Don't get too carried away with lbs ft, as 440 isn't much. The 1.4 bar bit would put me off as why isn't it running more? Plus I can't believe it would make that much torque at so little boost? Mine runs 2.3bar on a gt35r so why not run 2.1bar as a safe minimum?

I would be more concerned about what will break due to the car being a budget build

Last edited by stevebt; 19 September 2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 19 September 2014, 07:54 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Don't get too carried away with lbs ft, as 440 isn't much. The 1.4 bar bit would put me off as why isn't it running more? Mine runs 2.3bar on a gt35r so why not run 2.1bar as a safe minimum?

I would be more concerned about what will break due to the car being a budget build
its on the open deck block so big boost is a no-no i think.the graph shows it spools really well and it a zen built motor which should be good enough.

450bhp ish is plenty for me anyway
Old 19 September 2014, 08:00 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car

Gussy, I'm going to be sensible and build a stripped out car around 450bhp and once I have the ***** to go flat out in 5th gear bends in that spec my gt35r goes on and the power goes to a fun level in a very light car
Been the aim with mine Steve just need to get it finished only need the engine loom fitted the syvecs wired in and mapped and its good to go
Old 19 September 2014, 08:59 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gussy
Been the aim with mine Steve just need to get it finished only need the engine loom fitted the syvecs wired in and mapped and its good to go
I want mine as a piece of crap so if I put in in some Armco I'm ok, mine will be pure shell and say a seat
Old 19 September 2014, 09:02 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
its on the open deck block so big boost is a no-no i think.the graph shows it spools really well and it a zen built motor which should be good enough.

450bhp ish is plenty for me anyway
Open deck at a proposed 440bhp, you may as well just buy a car you like and pay for all the upgrades as that one isn't going to last long if you put the power down . Next you will be telling me it still has a five speed box
Old 19 September 2014, 09:07 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Open deck at a proposed 440bhp, you may as well just buy a car you like and pay for all the upgrades as that one isn't going to last long if you put the power down . Next you will be telling me it still has a five speed box
Why would it be a 5 speed? It's a blob sti so it's a 6 speed
Old 19 September 2014, 09:10 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Mine was tongue in cheek . Just ignore me and buy it then .
Old 19 September 2014, 10:28 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I've just bought a classic, had newage wagon before. So I hope all this hype is true as I'm hoping to get it running around the 400 mark with supporting mods along with handling that's half there
Old 19 September 2014, 10:44 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The feel and general ambience of the Classic Imprezas is something everyone should experience. But before making the "retrograde" step I think the OP should have a look at a Newage STI RA, IMO.

My Bug has a lot of the raw feel of a Classic but doesn't feel quite so 1995 inside...
Old 19 September 2014, 10:45 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

350 and sort the handling, more than enough in a Classic and saves a fortune.
Old 19 September 2014, 11:08 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned three classics, and one ppp blobeye. Classic all day long.
Old 20 September 2014, 08:23 AM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lordharding
You won't regret having a classic

Where did you get your underbonnet soundproofing from !?
Old 20 September 2014, 08:33 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i had my 1st impreza i was blind-sided by it as i had always wanted one but it was a wrx blob and i spent buckets of cash turning it into an sti and certain members on here tried telling me its a waste of money but i couldnt see it,looking back now i realise i have wasted my cash thats why my next impreza wont be a rush purchase.
the penny has dropped a bit too late then

id also listen to the other advice about the open deck block 2.5 is its also very good.
Old 20 September 2014, 09:18 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flat4x4-again
Where did you get your underbonnet soundproofing from !?
Mark at v mark made it for me
Nice bit of kit
Old 20 September 2014, 10:16 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a V6 STI and it's an awesome little car, so quick with just an exhaust and remap. Not sure if Subaru did something with the diff setup on the later Sti's but it's got an amazingly planted feel about it through flowing bends over over 70 (on the track) I've had all the other variants from v2-v6 inc type r's

I'd love a V6 Sti in black, mine is dark mica blue, very rare on an Sti but I only bought it because of condition and history as I can't love the colour.
Old 20 September 2014, 10:37 AM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

As many of you probably know, I have been into Impreza's for a good while now, 10 years in fact.

However, I keep hankering back to my 'classic' days.
I just love how they look to be honest and the fact that they are quite a bit lighter and more raw then the Newage.
Am I crazy?
I've just bought a Classic after 10 years away from Subaru. The reason I left was that I was seriously disappointed with the blob eye when I first drove one, and went the tuned diesel with 4WD route. In the time since I've been lucky enough to own or lease a fair few modern quality cars including the latest Audi S3 with an STi-style 300bhp.

What does it for me with the Classic is that you are so connected rather than isolated from everything - the noise, feel from the road, the lack of comfort!

Newer Subarus are far better all-rounders at everything else, but I think every household should have a Classic - plus a diesel estate
Old 20 September 2014, 06:31 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must admit, the white sti 5 at Hurst Cars does look like a great buy. Prodrive brakes too.

Sooooo tempted.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...cars?logcode=p
Old 20 September 2014, 07:22 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

another great looking car
Old 20 September 2014, 10:07 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

I must admit, the white sti 5 at Hurst Cars does look like a great buy. Prodrive brakes too.

Sooooo tempted.

that is one very very nice car,with a sti 8 engine and a 6 speed and a decent blower would make it a even better car
Old 20 September 2014, 10:27 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

with a sti 8 engine and a 6 speed and a decent blower would make it a even better car

like this one
Old 20 September 2014, 10:31 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

What's the spec? ........... looks serious
Old 20 September 2014, 10:41 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Prepfab prepared shell/full s/d T45 cage /seam welded shell/TSS tubular subframes spec-c engine,6 speed box/hotbits suspension/sc 42/46 twin scroll clocked rotated turbo/side exit exhaust AP brakes etc syvecs /custom lightweight mot friendly loom/ lateral rad/intercooler combination digi dash /ID 1000 injectors etc etc the list goes on
Old 21 September 2014, 06:14 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sooooo tempted.

Oi, Hands off she's mine.

I thought you said earlier that every time you washed it you'd be thinking where's the boot.

It's a lovely car and you can't beat a wagon, I should have bought one years ago, they have the best of both worlds. Fresh tyres and a recent cambelt means it's good to go and you'll get a bit of warranty too. I'm sure Max will do you a good deal on your Blob.

If I had the spare cash I'd be very sorely tempted.

Quick Reply: Newage to Classic - Am I mad?