Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2011, 10:15 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Updated in my Project Thread mate:

APRIL 2011
Right.... we are getting there now. The Hawkeye was dropped off to Litchfields yesterday for the turbo work to be completed this coming week.

Due to the fact that I needed to get home and I wasn't going to walk the 60+ miles, Iain gave me a courtesy car to borrow. I was quite priviledged that he gave me one of the most rare and best performance cars he has......... a Subaru R2!

LM Billet
As I have insinuated previously, I was starting to waiver on actually making a decision to whether or not stick with the LM400 or move to a bigger LM450 for this part of the project.

Mel graciously offered to allow me to test drive his LM450 equipped Hawkeye Spec C, as he had organised for some work to be done at Litchfields yesterday, when I was dropping my car off. It was a perfect oppourtunity for me to have a near as damn it comparison between the two turbos.

Mel had decided to have similar chassis mods to what I have done so far in this project thread (Whiteline Anti Lift Kit, ARB's and adjustable top mounts) and the first mod of the ARB's was just about to be done. We had a chat and Mel was unsure how far to take his ARB's (24mm rear or 22mm rear). I explained the differences to him in what it would change with the handling characteristics, but it made sense for Mel to try this first hand, so he went for a spin in my Hawkeye.

Just as I experienced upon having these mods, Mel immediately felt the difference in stability and sure footedness..... he was pretty much "sold" on the benefits of these chassis mods.

Anyway.... unfortunately Litchfields ran in to a problem with their four wheel alignment rig and they were unable to complete the work. This ultimately meant that Mel had to leave the car at Litchfields and I was unable to take his car for a test drive. It was a real shame, but I suspect "him upstairs" was trying to tell me something.

Mel did comment on the fact that his car gives him move of a shove in the back, but you have to take this in context as you would expect that with a turbo that spools 5-600rpm later than what the LM400 does (the "go" with the 400 is more instant and smoother). Add to the fact that Mel's turbo is producing another 40lbft and 60bhp more.... and of course his car is some 70+kgs lighter than mine. It all adds up to make a difference "feel" wise, but I certainly expect the LM450 to make for a quicker car when you are up to boost. However it is interesting that Mel normally uses his low boost setting (which is circa 380bhp). This backs up what I have said previously, in that 400bhp is more than enough for a road car and this is exactly where the LM400 is pitched!

I went on to discuss this with Iain and we decided that since this part of the project was "all about" the LM400 in reality and keeping everything nice and driveable as much as possible, we would stick with the LM400 Billet at this stage.

Don't despair though..... the conversation and agreement has been made, that once the LM400 Billet has been tested for the purpose of this thread, I have the option to move then to the LM450 Billet if I wish. Again, the "staged" approach has been favoured to realise the benefit of some worthwhlile feedback and comparisons.

I spoke to Iain about the changes that have been introduced to make the LM400 Billet and apart from the obvious fact that the compressor wheel is made of Billet, the wheel design has also changed, it is THIRTY % lighter than the current LM400 non billet compressor wheel and Litchfields have taken the opportunity to make the overall diameter of the compressor wheel smaller.

All these area's combined will theorectically improve throttle response and initial spool.

It will be interesting to see what transpires.
Old 04 April 2011, 12:09 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30% is a lot. Some billets I have compred are as little as 12% although the design has been slightly changed.
Old 04 April 2011, 12:51 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by harvey
30% is a lot. Some billets I have compred are as little as 12% although the design has been slightly changed.
Hi Harvey,
Yes it is isn't it. That question in specific was raised off the back of the off-line conversation you and I have had.

Spec's are just numbers though to me.... let's see how it translates when "bolted-up".
Old 04 April 2011, 07:12 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dropping mine off with Iain tomorrow and hope to collect it end of next week, just in time to meet up with JGM at Subaru4You on the 15th for a map tweak
Old 07 April 2011, 06:10 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Just received a text from Litchfields to say the LM400 Billet is now fitted to the Hawkeye!

It's a quick "razz" over to Litchfields first thing tomorrow and then a steady drive to Tracktive Solutions for the remap in the afternoon.
Old 07 April 2011, 06:22 PM
Ilya
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweeeet
Old 07 April 2011, 07:27 PM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shaun
Just received a text from Litchfields to say the LM400 Billet is now fitted to the Hawkeye!

It's a quick "razz" over to Litchfields first thing tomorrow and then a steady drive to Tracktive Solutions for the remap in the afternoon.
The boss has given you another day off
Old 09 April 2011, 08:37 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The Eagle has landed, fitted, mapped and results disected!

It was certainly worth the wait.

https://www.scoobynet.com/846290-sta...ml#post9979646
Old 13 April 2011, 11:54 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Some further information about the LM400 Billet testing:

https://www.scoobynet.com/846290-sta...ml#post9986748
Old 15 April 2011, 08:48 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Collected my car from Iain today having had a billet wheel fitted to the LM480 (and a hole in the Milltek repaired - the second repair the system's needed in 4 years of use), and drove it to Subaru4You for mapping.

We rapidly found that the plugs were knackered, so after a delay while some were found and fitted, it went on the rollers for map tweaking by JGM.

On the second run the oem twinscroll headers shat their pants, blowing the tube from No1 clean off the cylinder head mounting flange, and damaging the flexi joint as well.

Monday will see the headers removed to see if they can be repaired, otherwise I'm either on the look out for a set of headers (oem twinscroll or something better, if they exist) or I may actually flog the LM480/uppipe/downpipe and go single scroll/321V as I'm heartily fed up of all the hassle that seems to be associated with my chosen high power twin scroll route
Old 15 April 2011, 10:34 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by TimH
Collected my car from Iain today having had a billet wheel fitted to the LM480 (and a hole in the Milltek repaired - the second repair the system's needed in 4 years of use), and drove it to Subaru4You for mapping.

We rapidly found that the plugs were knackered, so after a delay while some were found and fitted, it went on the rollers for map tweaking by JGM.

On the second run the oem twinscroll headers shat their pants, blowing the tube from No1 clean off the cylinder head mounting flange, and damaging the flexi joint as well.

Monday will see the headers removed to see if they can be repaired, otherwise I'm either on the look out for a set of headers (oem twinscroll or something better, if they exist) or I may actually flog the LM480/uppipe/downpipe and go single scroll/321V as I'm heartily fed up of all the hassle that seems to be associated with my chosen high power twin scroll route
I really feel for you mate your not having much luck are you. Hope you get it sorted soon.
Old 15 April 2011, 11:02 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Tim,
I can feel your pain.

You should of stuck with 450bhp and LEFT IT ALONE!!

This has just been bad luck mate. I'm sure it will all be sorted.
Old 18 April 2011, 12:22 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Update - headers are off and it's simply the weld between the tube and the mounting flange that's failed. Most of the welds look pretty rubbish so I'm having them all examined and probably re-done, and the flanges checked for flatness.

Looks like my oem twinscroll headers were a Friday afternoon job

Hopefully they'll be sorted this week, then Simon can restart the map tweaking
Old 18 April 2011, 12:43 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Update - headers are off and it's simply the weld between the tube and the mounting flange that's failed. Most of the welds look pretty rubbish so I'm having them all examined and probably re-done, and the flanges checked for flatness.

Looks like my oem twinscroll headers were a Friday afternoon job

Hopefully they'll be sorted this week, then Simon can restart the map tweaking
Who done the welding.........why don't you take it back to them and get them to sort it.
Old 18 April 2011, 12:46 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Have just rang Ian I have to wait another week for a turbo Shaun why are you always at the front of the que!
Old 18 April 2011, 02:15 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Immy as I explained originally the wait is for the small Drive By Wire Compressor covers (which Shaun does not need) which are currently on back order with the foundry. If it helps my demo car is sat waiting as well The cores, turbine housings and billet wheels are in stock

Sorry to here about your problems Tim. You have been very unluck with your exhaust, first time I have heard of a OEM manifold fail and to have a Milltek blow in 2 different places might be related. What are you EGTs like?

Regards

Iain
Old 18 April 2011, 05:14 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by LitchfieldImports
Immy as I explained originally the wait is for the small Drive By Wire Compressor covers (which Shaun does not need) which are currently on back order with the foundry. If it helps my demo car is sat waiting as well The cores, turbine housings and billet wheels are in stock

Sorry to here about your problems Tim. You have been very unluck with your exhaust, first time I have heard of a OEM manifold fail and to have a Milltek blow in 2 different places might be related. What are you EGTs like?

Regards

Iain
Sorry Ian I should of been a little more clear in my post, but thanks for clearing it up for me! A quick drive in your demo before all the work is carried out will be appreciated however am not sure it's necessary as all I've heard is great reviews of this LM400

I am quite surprised your demo is still hanging about tbh I thought it would of been snapped up by now

PS can you send me down a 3" miltek downpipe as I will need it to get this fitted before I can come down as the catback will have to be modified to mate the 3" pipe as discussed on the phone.

Immy
Old 18 April 2011, 07:16 PM
TimH
Orange Club

You have been very unlucky with your exhaust, first time I have heard of a OEM manifold fail and to have a Milltek blow in 2 different places might be related. What are you EGTs like?
I don't know Iain, but sounds like it might be a good idea to get a boss welded in somewhere so I can check them - where is a good place to monitor EGT? Hope it's not the downpipe as it would be a shame to have to take it off AGAIN
Old 18 April 2011, 07:22 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Originally Posted by juggers
Who done the welding.........why don't you take it back to them and get them to sort it.
Hmmm...Fuji Heavy Industries I would imagine, or whoever it is who manufuctures OEM headers for Subaru...not sure now's a good time for a visit to Japan
Old 18 April 2011, 09:17 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Hmmm...Fuji Heavy Industries I would imagine, or whoever it is who manufuctures OEM headers for Subaru...not sure now's a good time for a visit to Japan
Lol I thought you already had them repaired and it happend again. First time ice heard of oem headers busting on a JDM.
Old 18 April 2011, 10:37 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Immy,
Because I'm special!

Just to wet your appetite in anticipation of your new turbo.....

LM400 Billet vs VF37 @ 340/340 flywheel

You should achieve better spool with the Hatch Heads having exhaust VVT as well.
Old 19 April 2011, 01:05 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regards

Iain
no signs of high egt, although the boost creap on the previous turbo did nothing good for EGP.. but no EGT issues.. fuelling safe and good ignition timing.. when you stripped the turbo and replaced the compressor wheel.. one would assume the hot wheel was okay and showed no signs of high EGT?
If the headers were to fail due to high egt I would expect them to crack in a hotter spot..

I doubt anyone has done the mileage Tim has on a set of oe twinscroll headers running 500+bhp.

Simon
Old 19 April 2011, 01:21 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers Shaun!

Can you notice the spool up on the hatch compared to your hawk?
Old 23 April 2011, 01:32 AM
Deadpool
Scooby Regular

Has anyone run the LM450S60 (or L60) on E85, and have dyno sheets? If not E85, meth?

News on prices for the billet models?

John
Old 03 May 2011, 02:12 PM
johnny_0
Scooby Regular

I bought my 450LM from litchfield one year ago. and only now i will fit it in my 06 Type RA. I will updated you about results

of course i will fit other bits like 800 injectors, miltek 76mm full exhaust, gruppeM carbon induction kit, new fuel pump. ecc (and of course a new map). I will use the stock intercooler.

I hope to see 420/430Ps at 1.6/1.7 bar.

Last edited by johnny_0; 03 May 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03 May 2011, 04:29 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by johnny_0
I bought my 450LM from litchfield one year ago. and only now i will fit it in my 06 Type RA. I will updated you about results

of course i will fit other bits like 800 injectors, miltek 76mm full exhaust, gruppeM carbon induction kit, new fuel pump. ecc (and of course a new map). I will use the stock intercooler.

Will be interested in your results, but all things being equal you may find your results are closer to 450bhp on a RR with proper TMIC airflow.
Old 03 May 2011, 05:58 PM
johnny_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Will be interested in your results, but all things being equal you may find your results are closer to 450bhp on a RR with proper TMIC airflow.
yes, infact i hope to reach at least 430ps with good torque. In every case i'm very curious to see the final result.

Last edited by johnny_0; 03 May 2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04 May 2011, 06:21 PM
johnny_0
Scooby Regular

My tuner said that with a 255l/h fuel pump and 800cc in. a fuel pressure regulator is not important so he doesnt want to fit it.

What is your opinion about this?

thks

Last edited by johnny_0; 04 May 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09 May 2011, 03:35 PM
johnny_0
Scooby Regular

My tuner said that with a 255l/h fuel pump and 800cc in. a fuel pressure regulator is not important so he doesnt want to fit it.

What is your opinion about this?

thks
Nobody can reply me, what do you think about an FuelPressureRegulator in my setup?

thks

Last edited by johnny_0; 09 May 2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09 May 2011, 04:50 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody can reply me, what do you think about an FuelPressureRegulator in my setup?

thks
its a nice to have, not essential

Quick Reply: litchfield twin scroll turbo