Notices
Trader Announcements Announcements (including special offers, product/service information) made by Authorised Advertisers

Latest results S206 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2009, 09:01 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duncatr
Can I ask what this "revised turbine" is? Was there an older design or is this specific to the one turbo?
It's a modified turbine wheel, designed to allow more flow for the 2.5 versions.
From our tests, and Zen's independent results, we can see it works a treat!
Old 03 December 2009, 09:54 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billsandhu
My car is a 98, a built 2.5 with sti4 heads. Prior to the revised turbine, and Zen custom intake, it was making 445lbft @ 4500 and 425bhp @ 5500. 1 bar on the dyno by 3.4k and full boost (1.8bar) by 3.9k. and roughly 1.75bar at peak power, and then boost quickly dropping off.

After the mods there were gains in the whole power curve and better spool up, (we did expect a drop off in spool, but had the reverse so was an excellent result) The headline figures were 463lbft @ 4300, and 477bhp@ 6300, with no real drop off. At 6500rpm we have seen a gain of 80bhp I dont have a boost plot, as the ink in Paul's printer had ran out. But now it holds 1.8bar.

I tried taking a picture of the power graph but its unreadable as the lines are very faint.

On the road, with the long uk gearing it is very deceptive, with power feeling smooth, and pulls very strongly to 7k+
I'll get some comparisons up shortly.
Old 04 December 2009, 06:19 PM
786omar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mus 1st class sti type r
just want to add i have had the car back a little over a month i haven’t been able to drive due to house refurbishment went out in it yesterday for a spirited drive and my word it was hard keeping the car on the road its absolutely mental full boost just after 3000 rpm and power right down to 7000rpm it just gets faster and faster had to left of on more than one occasion and really had to grip the steering wheel it’s a bloody animal. Off boost driving was so smooth with ZERO LAG and pleasant the s206 is a very responsive turbo and packs one hell of a punch and all of that was just on the v-power map.

mus
Damn , Im thinking I shouldn't have sold my car now
Old 04 December 2009, 06:39 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by 786omar
Damn , Im thinking I shouldn't have sold my car now
Come on down Omar, we'll build you another one..
Old 04 December 2009, 08:27 PM
scoobydog63
Scooby Regular

Is the 206 any good on a 2.0l sti or would you recommend something else Alan?
Old 04 December 2009, 08:38 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydog63
The turbo is intended for 2 litre engines, although they are great on 2.1's and we now have a 2.5 version out. We started out using the Evo version of these, making great figures, and decided the Impreza needed one as well. There's no doubt it would make 500 bhp on a 2 litre with the right mods. We've surpassed that figure many times with 2.1's mainly because we are building so many of them right now! Certainly we haven't had any bother going well over 450 bhp on V power on the 2 litres we've done so far.

Last edited by Alan Jeffery; 04 December 2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: added something!
Old 04 December 2009, 08:50 PM
786omar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Come on down Omar, we'll build you another one..
lol I may be back pretty soon with another Subaru possibly newage or maybe even a late Evo, either way im pretty keen on trying out the S206, looking foward to taking Mus's car out for drive from what I heard its stupidly quick, I guess we'll have to see how it compares to some Rotry power :P
Old 05 December 2009, 10:04 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 786omar
lol I may be back pretty soon with another Subaru possibly newage or maybe even a late Evo, either way im pretty keen on trying out the S206, looking foward to taking Mus's car out for drive from what I heard its stupidly quick, I guess we'll have to see how it compares to some Rotry power :P

car is ready and raring to go give me bell tell me where and ill be there rolling start private road
Old 05 December 2009, 02:05 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

This turbo is awesome on my 2.0

Originally Posted by mus 1st class sti type r
car is ready and raring to go give me bell tell me where and ill be there rolling start private road
mus i'm up for a run, let me know when and where?
Old 05 December 2009, 02:08 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Harryr34
This turbo is awesome on my 2.0

mus i'm up for a run, let me know when and where?

2 scoobies one rotary one outcome ill pm you mate
Old 05 December 2009, 02:09 PM
scoobydog63
Scooby Regular

would it be ok for an everyday car? im only looking for around 400bhp max and want something thats not to laggy.
Old 09 December 2009, 09:33 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On behalf of our good friend BillS and Zen Performance, here are the graphs for their results on Bills 2.5.

We also have some results in for a built 2 litre featuring stock WRX V4 heads and cams, built over 4 years ago by ourselves this one still seems to be doing quite well.

Straight Vpower, no booster meth or WI and 1.8 bar boost at peak power.
Old 09 December 2009, 09:43 AM
scoobydog63
Scooby Regular

Whats the drive in drive out price on this turbo?
Old 09 December 2009, 10:47 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Whats the drive in drive out price on this turbo?
Like any quote, it depends on the details! The turbo is £995 plus vat
(£1144.25) The downpipe is £180 plus vat (£207)
The 3" inlet would normally require manifold risers, and of course a 3" intake hose.
I'd say the S206 turbo starts rather than finishes at 400 bhp, so it wouldn't be my first choice for your application. I'll PM you with an alternative.
Old 09 December 2009, 12:26 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Like any quote, it depends on the details! The turbo is £995 plus vat

(£1144.25) The downpipe is £180 plus vat (£207)

The 3" inlet would normally require manifold risers, and of course a 3" intake hose.

I'd say the S206 turbo starts rather than finishes at 400 bhp, so it wouldn't be my first choice for your application. I'll PM you with an alternative.

hang on a mo, if you need intake pipes, downpipes, manifold risers how can it be a bolt on?
Old 09 December 2009, 01:28 PM
duncatr
Scooby Regular

Bare in mind that any 3" inlet turbo will require a 3" inlet pipe (thats pretty much required for 450+)
And then look at the downpipe being included in the price (£1351.25 inc vat and delivery) so still cheaper than most turbo's of this capability 450bhp to 500bhp!

By bolt on, there will always be a bit of "give" in the description. Some need part of the block grinded off. I take "bolt on" as being "non rotated" so normal up pipe fits in oe location with inlet under the IM etc.

For me the biggest difference with the S206 is that you need to modify your FMIC pipe work as the inlet it at the other side of the housing. But IMO its worth it to get rid of that horrible 180 degrees bend.

IMHO if you are heading beyond 450BHP you should be willing to accept that at the very least some minor modification is going to be needed to fit what you want.

Last edited by duncatr; 09 December 2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09 December 2009, 01:41 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Bare in mind that any 3" inlet turbo will require a 3" inlet pipe
And then look at the downpipe being included in the price (£1351.25 inc vat and delivery) so still cheaper than most turbo's of this capability 450bhp to 500bhp!

By bolt on, there will always be a bit of "give" in the description. Some need part of the block grinded off. I take "bolt on" as being "non rotated".

For me the biggest difference with the S206 is that you need to modify your FMIC pipe work as the inlet it at the other side of the housing. But IMO its worth it to get rid of that horrible 180 degrees bend.

IMHO if you are heading beyond 450BHP you should be willing to accept that at the very least some minor modification is going to be needed to fit what you want.

so theres inlet changes as well? this turbo simply isn't bolt on is it.

What other work that needs to be done to fit it?

so whats the labour cost involved with doing all of that, the cost of the intake pipe changes and other mods to get to fit?

if its not a direct bolt on then should be advertised as that.
Old 09 December 2009, 01:53 PM
duncatr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
so theres inlet changes as well? this turbo simply isn't bolt on is it.

What other work that needs to be done to fit it?

so whats the labour cost involved with doing all of that, the cost of the intake pipe changes and other mods to get to fit?

if its not a direct bolt on then should be advertised as that.
If you need to ask then you cant afford it

Nah, seriously, if you are going beyond 450BHP then you are spending a lot of money anyway!!! Forged bottom end, 6,speed / PPG, uprated clutch etc etc etc. So a few small changes to make a turbo fit is a small thing. TRUST ME!!

Cost wise - 3" inlet pipe is around £100 up to £300 depending which one you go for. Or you can have a custom steel one made with a small length of silicone hose to connect to the turbo.
The Front Mount Intercooler (and you will need one at this power) pipe can be chopped and alloy welded to line up with the new position. 1 / 2hrs labour Max.
Old 09 December 2009, 02:01 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

If you need to ask then you cant afford it

Nah, seriously, if you are going beyond 450BHP then you are spending a lot of money anyway!!! Forged bottom end, 6,speed / PPG, uprated clutch etc etc etc. So a few small changes to make a turbo fit is a small thing. TRUST ME!!

Cost wise - 3" inlet pipe is around £100 up to £300 depending which one you go for. Or you can have a custom steel one made with a small length of silicone hose to connect to the turbo.
The Front Mount Intercooler (and you will need one at this power) pipe can be chopped and alloy welded to line up with the new position. 1 / 2hrs labour Max.
don;t worry im not disputing that to get to that stage down pipe is least of your worrys lol

although begs the question will a standard fitment 3' downpipe fit or is it a custom fitment? in fact if your adjusting the intake to fit then downpipe must be custom.

what im saying is its just not bolt on, which is what is claimed to start with, seems like a flase claim.
Old 09 December 2009, 02:46 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

i had mine fitted and mapped all on the same day and to be honest with less pipe work it makes the engine bay look a lot neater
Old 09 December 2009, 03:04 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does look a very neat install having seen in the flesh but the MD321V was an absolute straight bolt on for me.

There is no nasty 180 degree bend on the FMIC pipework of my APS DR725 FMIC so fitting an S206 would introduce one unless you swapped both sides around and would mean all new custom pipework.

Interesting results though even though the last graph does seem to be running at around 1.3CFM per BHP on std fuel compared to the norm of around 1.5 (which we see in the graph that Paul did on the 2.5)

Last edited by dynamix; 09 December 2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09 December 2009, 05:09 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
It does look a very neat install having seen in the flesh but the MD321V was an absolute straight bolt on for me.

There is no nasty 180 degree bend on the FMIC pipework of my APS DR725 FMIC so fitting an S206 would introduce one unless you swapped both sides around and would mean all new custom pipework.

Interesting results though even though the last graph does seem to be running at around 1.3CFM per BHP on std fuel compared to the norm of around 1.5 (which we see in the graph that Paul did on the 2.5)
And if you calculate the size, weight and wing area of a bumble bee, you'd also see it couldn't possibly fly.

Re the pipework, it's a radical improvement on a classic, and not at all difficult to sort out on a new age. Not everybody has APS DR725's!
We have a goodly number running around out there now, and they are all very happy with the performance, what it's all about as far as I recall.
Maybe the drag strip will sort that one out next year?
You pays your money and you takes your choice..
Old 09 December 2009, 05:20 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah that's ok then ... it all comes down to Bumble Bees.
Old 09 December 2009, 06:30 PM
monkeyboy173
Scooby Regular

Not the best pic but the reversed compressor housing definately makes the engine bay neater. I havent got the Samco intake as Engine Tuner have a had a couple of issues with it sucking shut so they have made me an alloy intake pipe with a straight 3" silicone joiner. The breathers are now redirected to a catch can.

Name:  Work1022.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  127.0 KB

I can see what people are saying about it not being a "bolt on" replacement but the package that Engine Tuner put together for me was very reasonable

At the end of the day the results speak for themselves on the road its really smooth, responsive and best of all goes like stink!! Cant wait to get back down there now to sort the fuel system out and turn the wick up abit a concervative map & 442bhp is plenty for the road but 500 sounds like a much better figure!!
Name:  P1020575.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  79.3 KB

Last edited by monkeyboy173; 09 December 2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09 December 2009, 09:01 PM
duncatr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix

Duncan - I'm no expert mate, and I'll not pretend to be one. But what I am is a greedy scotsman so I try and do as much research as possible before I spend any single pound!!!

I am a great fan of the MD series and I have been talking to Mark on this subject, but IMHO there is a gap in the market for a turbo to give 470-490BHP on V-Power and more importantly one that won't be too laggy on my 2.1 without vvt heads. For the power I am looking for I'd need a to go to a V on the MD series. A T+ would struggle to get there all be it with a different power band. Another aspect that I consider here is intended use. My car is no daily driver and more intended for track so I can afford to sacrifice a little spool for more top end as thats where its going to spend a lot of time.

What I want is something to give 470+ on V-power and 500ish on E85 without being too laggy on the 2.1 and of course at a good price!!!
Not much then eh!!

But the S206 does get close to what I want and seems to be getting good results. So at the moment its on my shopping list.
Old 09 December 2009, 09:49 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm over the moon with my S206, not really laggy and pulls VERY well!! 453/430 at the moment and I'm off down Saturday for a wee tweek now I've got nigh on 4k miles on the engine Can't wait
Old 14 December 2009, 08:53 PM
Subs Lee
Scooby Regular

if i was to go for the s206 what additional cost would it be to rotate the turbo, because i have reversed my inlet manifold and i have the idle control valve in the way where the 3" inlet pipe would go. is this possible?
Old 14 December 2009, 09:22 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Subs Lee
if i was to go for the s206 what additional cost would it be to rotate the turbo, because i have reversed my inlet manifold and i have the idle control valve in the way where the 3" inlet pipe would go. is this possible?
Yes it is. We can make anything work if we want to, although I'd say the fact of the turbo layout means the reversed manifold is only barely worth having.
We'd need to modify the turbo up pipe and downpipe to suit the twisted turbo, and we'd only be gaining by two feet of intercooler pipe at the most. We've been through this a couple of times, and ended up going back to the stock manifold position. I don't blame you for wanting to be enterprising!
The beauty of the S206 is the power available without having to twist the turbo. If you're going for over 550 bhp then you might as well just fit the RCM twisted kit, and go for a GT35R.

Last edited by Alan Jeffery; 14 December 2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 14 December 2009, 10:50 PM
monkeyboy173
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mervil
I'm over the moon with my S206, not really laggy and pulls VERY well!! 453/430 at the moment and I'm off down Saturday for a wee tweek now I've got nigh on 4k miles on the engine Can't wait
So come on then spill the beans what did it make on Saturday? Im interested as I think we have a very similar setup
Old 15 December 2009, 09:28 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyboy173
So come on then spill the beans what did it make on Saturday? Im interested as I think we have a very similar setup
It's next Saturday! Logistics...

Quick Reply: Latest results S206 turbo