Notices
Trader Announcements Announcements (including special offers, product/service information) made by Authorised Advertisers

scoobyclinics turbo's just got billet I mean better!

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2010, 11:54 AM
The Gaffer
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
What would be the engine drivetrain requirements needed to run the SC36 on a UK MY00 Classic ?

Let's as an example say...

Ecutek
FMIC
440 Injectors (standard)
Uprated fuel pump

Standard gearbox

If mapped conservatively for safety of the car would this detract from the turbo's fast spool up etc or is this just a little step to far forward for a relatively standard set up and more suited to it's sti equivalent.

Reading through this thread has been very interesting indeed it has to be said I'm running a vf28 at the minute, and looking at examples for upgrades the step appears to be in the area of vf34 vf35 Td05-16G but all seem to be on the safety limits of the virtually standard set up.

Interested to hear if the SC36 falls into this next step or just a little outside it for the car as it stands.

Regards
Simon
Hi,

The SC36, can be mapped to suit but you wont feel full benefits due to us needing to limit the boost, to safeguard both pistons and gearbox.

Another problem is we find that running a bigger turbo combined with a FMIC on a version 5 seems to cause air flow meters to fail at an alarming rate, some people will not agree with that statement but it is our findings.

It is more suited to the sti as they have forged pistons as standard but the gearbox and air flow meter problem does still exist, gearbox's topping out at around 365 bhp, we do have a few out there on standard gearbox's running 400 bhp but the drivers treat them with respect, if used in anger they will fail.

So a set of decent pistons, a gearkit and a speed density ecu, such as syvecs will allow you to run a meaty turbo, its all down to cost I am afraid.

Thanks for your interest in this thread, at least I hope it has given you food for thought.

cheers
Kev
Old 12 July 2010, 04:01 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for that Kev, a very open and honest reply there

I did had a feeling it may just be that little step to much which is a pity in some respects because it looks like a peach of a turbo even with it being the baby one of the list, but saying that if it's not for the car then that's the case.

Roll on the SC32

Cheers
Simon
Old 12 July 2010, 04:04 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just to let everyone know how good these turbos are i think ill use a quote from the wife when i put my foot down lol ;
grabbing for the handle screaming .... Im terrified mick im bloody terrified ahhh ..........
So in summery if you have one of these fitted have some fun but dont take the wife lol
Old 12 July 2010, 04:04 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

just to let everyone know how good these turbos are i think ill use a quote from the wife when i put my foot down lol ;
grabbing for the handle screaming .... Im terrified mick im bloody terrified ahhh ..........
So in summery if you have one of these fitted have some fun but dont take the wife lol
Old 12 July 2010, 06:53 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Hi,

The SC36, can be mapped to suit but you wont feel full benefits due to us needing to limit the boost, to safeguard both pistons and gearbox.

Another problem is we find that running a bigger turbo combined with a FMIC on a version 5 seems to cause air flow meters to fail at an alarming rate, some people will not agree with that statement but it is our findings.

It is more suited to the sti as they have forged pistons as standard but the gearbox and air flow meter problem does still exist, gearbox's topping out at around 365 bhp, we do have a few out there on standard gearbox's running 400 bhp but the drivers treat them with respect, if used in anger they will fail.

So a set of decent pistons, a gearkit and a speed density ecu, such as syvecs will allow you to run a meaty turbo, its all down to cost I am afraid.

Thanks for your interest in this thread, at least I hope it has given you food for thought.

cheers
Kev
Completely agree with you re MAFS Kev, hate the bloody things, lol.

Sti 5/6 gearboxes are a lot stronger than people give them credit for though, my own survived countless launches in excess of 500bhp for a year before finally throwing in the towel. Even then £200 had it fixed and back on the road quick sharp. One of my fellow competitors has had his PPG box out 3 times in the last year for selector and gear issues.
Old 12 July 2010, 07:11 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by MartynJ
...Sti 5/6 gearboxes are a lot stronger than people give them credit for though, my own survived countless launches in excess of 500bhp for a year before finally throwing in the towel. Even then £200 had it fixed and back on the road quick sharp....
Martyn, I have a new STi 5 (non R/RA) and it's allegedly covered only 40k miles.

I treat the box with utter sympathy and don't do launches. I always get the car rolling first before tramping the throttle. Do about 5000m pa. I know there are no guarantees, but how long would you say it'd last running 400/400, with the above treatment?

Last edited by joz8968; 12 July 2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12 July 2010, 11:17 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I have found with mine, no shorter a life span than one on a standard car.
Old 12 July 2010, 11:48 PM
CA7636
Scooby Newbie

Hi,
cheers
Kev
I put my money down for a billeted SC36 today and I cannot wait!
I have to take it on a long trek back to Cape Town first but I am sure it will be worth it. My car has been modded with a external wastegate so Kev and the lads are modifying me a SC36 to suit

Kev is a pleasure to deal with........

My car has a built 2.0 STI V motor with forged pistons, 550 injectors, uprated Bosch pump and rails with a SX regulator, Syvecs ecu, STI7 6speed tranny and a bigger custom topmount intercooler.
I want a car that is very nice to drive every day on the steep, twisty roads of Cape Town.......

I promise to report back
Steven

Last edited by CA7636; 12 July 2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 13 July 2010, 12:02 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CA7636
I want a car that is very nice to drive every day on the steep, twisty roads of Cape Town.......
Steven
I'm not jealous at all

Great to talk to you today, I'm looking forward to hearing your report and it's great to know our turbo's are starting to reach distant lands!

leaving Via UPS ASAP!

Ads
Old 13 July 2010, 12:19 AM
CA7636
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by specialx
I'm not jealous at all
Come visit anytime
The drinks are on me and I promise you will have something to drive around in

Steven
Old 13 July 2010, 12:20 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MartynJ
From what I have found with mine, no shorter a life span than one on a standard car.
I'll more than settle for that!
Old 13 July 2010, 06:22 PM
Dutch-TurboWagon
Scooby Regular

Kev,

With your experience, tell me this.
Is the difference between a rotated setup with for example the GT30R billet a lot different in experience with a similar comparison bolt on Turbo like the SC54 Billet ?

Does the rotated setup provide so much more punch and cannot be compared eventhough they roughly produce the same amount of power ?

I notice (on several online bbs's) that rotated is the way to go, and i have my mind set on bolt on ($$$ and less cumbersome), but .....................
Old 14 July 2010, 06:10 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Forgive me for coming late to this thread, I am considering upgrading the VF36 in my Spec C; I did have a Litchfield LM400/420 in mind but I am now also considering one of your twin scrolls now as well.

The car is fairly standard as it stands and is at 350bhp/370 lbs ft, I have not verified it as I have not had it long and haven't put it on a dyno yet. I will be fitting a Miltek 3" exhaust system shortly plus a few other little tweaks.

What turbo would you recommend to achieve 400/420bhp on standard internals and gearbox, I don't want to stress what is already there as the car is not tracked.
Old 14 July 2010, 08:40 AM
Dutch-TurboWagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Forgive me for coming late to this thread, I am considering upgrading the VF36 in my Spec C; I did have a Litchfield LM400/420 in mind but I am now also considering one of your twin scrolls now as well.

The car is fairly standard as it stands and is at 350bhp/370 lbs ft, I have not verified it as I have not had it long and haven't put it on a dyno yet. I will be fitting a Miltek 3" exhaust system shortly plus a few other little tweaks.

What turbo would you recommend to achieve 400/420bhp on standard internals and gearbox, I don't want to stress what is already there as the car is not tracked.
I think you shouldn't go after those values with a stock engine and tranny as it's simply a gamble and you will be waiting for something to give sooner or later.
I think the SC46 would best suited for that goal.
Old 14 July 2010, 09:31 AM
The Gaffer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dutch-TurboWagon
Kev,

With your experience, tell me this.
Is the difference between a rotated setup with for example the GT30R billet a lot different in experience with a similar comparison bolt on Turbo like the SC54 Billet ?

Does the rotated setup provide so much more punch and cannot be compared eventhough they roughly produce the same amount of power ?

I notice (on several online bbs's) that rotated is the way to go, and i have my mind set on bolt on ($$$ and less cumbersome), but .....................

Hi,

the rotated set up flows better than the direct fit range, you can get the same power at less boost, financially its a lot more expensive due to the pipe work, external wastegate, cone filter set up and of course more labour, whereas the direct fit is a true direct fit, same up pipe, same down pipe and same inlet system, labour wise its a 3 maybe 4 hour swap depending on how the bolts come out.

I run an SC54 billet direct fit which made 576 bhp on a meth/V power mix, normal pump gas which I run daily (with the dog in the back) gives 528 bhp and it is stunning, spool is fantastic, makes all the right noises and goes like fu..........

Power delivery, "Punch" as you put it is no different.

Hope the above helps.

cheers
Kev
Old 14 July 2010, 09:33 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

didn't mine spit out a couple of mafs being mapped on a vf34 kev?

ended up going autronics insted to get rid of the maf
Old 14 July 2010, 10:16 AM
MarkC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dutch-TurboWagon
I think you shouldn't go after those values with a stock engine and tranny as it's simply a gamble and you will be waiting for something to give sooner or later.
I think the SC46 would best suited for that goal.
There is a good few running up to 450bhp with no problems on standard engine. There is one impreza running 517bhp have a look at link below.

http://bbs.22b.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...209;p=1#000039
Old 14 July 2010, 10:26 AM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

yeah i agree engine and gear box known to run 400 ok ...
Nothing set in stone but is it ever?
Old 14 July 2010, 10:26 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Talking

...I run an SC54 billet direct fit which made 576 bhp on a meth/V power mix, normal pump gas which I run daily (with the dog in the back) gives 528 bhp and it is stunning...
Must be one "high" pooch!

Last edited by joz8968; 14 July 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 14 July 2010, 10:47 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mark v4 coupe
There is a good few running up to 450bhp with no problems on standard engine. There is one impreza running 517bhp have a look at link below.

http://bbs.22b.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...209;p=1#000039

isn;t that running a 6 speed though?
Old 14 July 2010, 10:52 AM
Dutch-TurboWagon
Scooby Regular

There are always exceptions, just like ordinary people winning the lottery but we all know that we won't have that same amount of luck and achieving those results is just wishfull thinking.
Old 14 July 2010, 11:06 AM
MarkC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
isn;t that running a 6 speed though?
It probably is with that kind of power, but judging by the bhp that impreza is running and im suprised its okay still. To keep things safe it should be okay up to around 450bhp i suppose on standard internals?

Last edited by MarkC; 14 July 2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 14 July 2010, 11:16 AM
The Gaffer
Former Sponsor

Hi,

I would strongly suggest a power run on either our dyno or another well known accurate dyno to see where we are starting from.

Many times we have customers who have been led to believe they have more power than they have actually got, for example a few weeks ago a fella came in with 366 bhp, he wanted to upgrade to the SC46 Billet and not to many more upgrades at the moment due to budget, the spec on his car was such that it could only be 330 bhp tops, we suggested a power run so we had a starting point, power run carried out car produced 310BHP, thats 56 BHP away from where he thought he was.

SC46 Billet and a re-map got him just under 380 BHP, imagine what he would have thought, all that money for just 14 bhp when in reality it was a gain of 70 BHP.

He then went on a few weeks later with a syvecs ecu and a few more mods to see over 400 BHP.

Back on topic, I would recommend the SC46 twin scroll billet for you car,
its proven to do the figures you require, in stock at £1295.00 but on the twin scroll we do need your old exhaust housing as exchange, if you want to keep the old housing then there is a £250.00 surcharge.

all prices + vat @17.5%.

Thanks for your enquiry,

cheers
Kev
Old 14 July 2010, 09:24 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dare I ask what rollers he went on to get such a high read out??
Old 14 July 2010, 09:58 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I would strongly suggest a power run on either our dyno or another well known accurate dyno to see where we are starting from.

Many times we have customers who have been led to believe they have more power than they have actually got, for example a few weeks ago a fella came in with 366 bhp, he wanted to upgrade to the SC46 Billet and not to many more upgrades at the moment due to budget, the spec on his car was such that it could only be 330 bhp tops, we suggested a power run so we had a starting point, power run carried out car produced 310BHP, thats 56 BHP away from where he thought he was.

SC46 Billet and a re-map got him just under 380 BHP, imagine what he would have thought, all that money for just 14 bhp when in reality it was a gain of 70 BHP.

He then went on a few weeks later with a syvecs ecu and a few more mods to see over 400 BHP.

Back on topic, I would recommend the SC46 twin scroll billet for you car,
its proven to do the figures you require, in stock at £1295.00 but on the twin scroll we do need your old exhaust housing as exchange, if you want to keep the old housing then there is a £250.00 surcharge.

all prices + vat @17.5%.

Thanks for your enquiry,

cheers
Kev

Hi Kev

Thanks for the answer is the SC46 twin scroll billet a direct bolt on replacement for the VF36? Also how does it compare in terms of spool?

I did not let you know of some information about the state of tune of my Spec C - it has been previously had an Ecutek map by Bob Rawle, although the only real modification at present is a TSL Green panel filter.

Although I have not had the car on a dyno, when Bob mapped the car for the previous owner they did some Deltadash road dyno runs and the bhp/torque figures were given.

Having had a previous car mapped by Bob and the same calculations carried out and then having had some dyno runs carried out which were within 0.5% which is acceptable to me, given that the ambient temperatures were higher on the day of the dyno runs.

I know that modifying/uprating any car comes within inherent risks but I would be happy to consider around 400bhp given the JDM engines plus the 6 speed gearboxes are able to take and do take more power than I am aiming for.

Regardless of which turbo I decide upon I would also be fitting a set of 650cc flow matched injectors, 3 port boost solenoid, RCM induction kit, SPT induction heat shield and a direct cold air feed via the o/s fog lamp cover plus of course an Ecutek Megarom remap with Bob.

This is something that will not be done until the end of September at the very earliest so I am not in an immediate rush and will weigh up my options.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 14 July 2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 14 July 2010, 10:05 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
Old 15 July 2010, 09:59 AM
The Gaffer
Former Sponsor

Hi,

you may ask.................

Cheers
Kev
Old 15 July 2010, 10:31 AM
The Gaffer
Former Sponsor

Hi Kev

Thanks for the answer is the SC46 twin scroll billet a direct bolt on replacement for the VF36? Also how does it compare in terms of spool?

I did not let you know of some information about the state of tune of my Spec C - it has been previously had an Ecutek map by Bob Rawle, although the only real modification at present is a TSL Green panel filter.

Although I have not had the car on a dyno, when Bob mapped the car for the previous owner they did some Deltadash road dyno runs and the bhp/torque figures were given.

Having had a previous car mapped by Bob and the same calculations carried out and then having had some dyno runs carried out which were within 0.5% which is acceptable to me, given that the ambient temperatures were higher on the day of the dyno runs.

I know that modifying/uprating any car comes within inherent risks but I would be happy to consider around 400bhp given the JDM engines plus the 6 speed gearboxes are able to take and do take more power than I am aiming for.

Regardless of which turbo I decide upon I would also be fitting a set of 650cc flow matched injectors, 3 port boost solenoid, RCM induction kit, SPT induction heat shield and a direct cold air feed via the o/s fog lamp cover plus of course an Ecutek Megarom remap with Bob.

This is something that will not be done until the end of September at the very earliest so I am not in an immediate rush and will weigh up my options.
Hi,

spool is good, not as quick as standard but lets remember its a bigger turbo, however being a billet compressor wheel its 33% lighter and more aerodynamic, so spool is still excellent.

We ran a car on the dyno 2 weeks ago, same spec as yours with a Bob Rawle map, it did exactly what Bob predicted, in this case 340 BHP, so you are in with a chance on the guesstimate being correct.

Here is a graph of a spec C car with a standard engine fitted with an SC46 Billet twin scroll turbo, it is on a meth mix at the customers request.

Name:  SC46Mattwebster.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  102.9 KB

Not bad for a direct fit unit.

cheers
Kev
Old 15 July 2010, 06:14 PM
P555SBR
Scooby Regular

by the sound of things it was charlies at surry rolling road
Old 15 July 2010, 07:04 PM
The Gaffer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by P555SBR
by the sound of things it was charlies at surry rolling road

Hi,

Charlies rollers are the same as ours, Dyno Dynamics, we have done many back to back tests with Charlie's Dyno and saw figures within 1%.

It certainly was not Charlies rollers.

Cheers
Kev

Quick Reply: scoobyclinics turbo's just got billet I mean better!