Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Contacted VOSA today about fuel line fault wrx

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2010, 08:13 PM
budgie smuggler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone queried this with Dennis Common at Longframlington Northumberland.If so how did they get on.Will the problem get progressively worse?cheers
Old 27 December 2010, 09:16 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by budgie smuggler
Will the problem get progressively worse?cheers
The problem directly relates to temperature. Every morning you start the car in the cold, it will leak fuel slowly out the hoses. Problem will go away over summer, but it'll be back next winter if its not fixed.
Old 27 December 2010, 09:31 PM
sedge69
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive also had the problem with the fuel stinking out the cabin, had a mechanic look but found nowt.

think i'll try ringing my local subaru dealer and see if they will fix for nowt

sedge
Old 29 December 2010, 05:39 PM
blackbugeye
Scooby Newbie

hi guys i have a 52 reg bugeye wrx and i'm glad i found some other people with the same issue,any how after reading the relevent threads i contacted "sg petch" in Richmond and they are going to look into the problem via a "recall scenario" and will let me know if and when it is approved. Otherwise i'll have to replace the pipes myself.
I'll keep you informed as to if they will honour this repair.
Old 31 December 2010, 02:46 PM
AndyWRXBUG
Scooby Newbie

Please Get This Put In To Technical Topics Archive:

Righty then girls and boys heres how I did it for FREE.

Firstly contact VOSA so your not standing on anyones toes. A quick email regarding the smell of petrol when the temperature drops below freezing to:
Martin.Ryder@vosa.gov.uk
He was the investigating engineer on the case and has all the relevant information.

Secondly contact your local Subaru Dealership, explain the problem and that you have contacted VOSA. If you have a problem with a know-all receiptionist ask to talk to the Service Manager.
This is the money saving information you all require.

If the Service Manager has never heard of the problem and is denying all knowledge he may need a nudge in the right direction so make him aware of:

SERVICE BULLETIN
26th October 2010
Subject: Modification of Fuel Pipe
Penultimate Paragraph on the First Page

ask then if he would like to reconsider on proceeding with the work with no charge.

They will probably need a day or so to get the go ahead from Subaru UK as the dealership will require payment from the manufacturer themselves now.
You'll get a call back after the work has been agreed and your car will be booked in for the work.
Mine was in the workshop for 2 days as they had to order in new manifold gaskets as they fall apart when removed. So be aware that it may not just be a days work.

Hope this comes in helpful people.
Old 31 December 2010, 07:35 PM
K30FOY
Scooby Regular

AndyWRXbug, Is yours standard or modified mate?

I take it then all bugeyes with engines starting with 673467 upwards has been sorted?

Last edited by K30FOY; 31 December 2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03 January 2011, 09:35 AM
AndyWRXBUG
Scooby Newbie

Mines standard throughout but realistically it shouldn't make any difference as long as the fuel lines and retaining clips in question (genuine subaru parts) are fitted. Manifold and ancillaries have to be removed and the coolant drained so shouldn't really matter about most mods anyway.
Old 04 January 2011, 10:42 PM
blackbugeye
Scooby Newbie

well people i had a phone call today from sg petch subaru, they are going to honour the repair and have ordered the parts. I'm booked in next week to get the pipes replaced,all under subarus warrenty....whoohoo.and it was painless really.
Old 05 January 2011, 10:58 AM
sedge69
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I spoke to Martin yesterday and then rang local Subaru dealer today and it's booked in for next week FREE OF CHARGE. I agree with Blackbugeye it was very painless

Sedge
Old 25 July 2011, 01:18 PM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

Hi guys just seen this thread, I had this problem last winter and couldnt locate what the issue was. anyone able to advise if the contact details above for VOSA still current if so will send an email within the week to see about getting this sorted.
Is there anything specific that needs to be said in the email to VOSA other than there is a smell of petrol in winter times for them to take note of that helps out with your claim?
Old 25 July 2011, 07:02 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nic1911
Hi guys just seen this thread, I had this problem last winter and couldnt locate what the issue was. anyone able to advise if the contact details above for VOSA still current if so will send an email within the week to see about getting this sorted.
Is there anything specific that needs to be said in the email to VOSA other than there is a smell of petrol in winter times for them to take note of that helps out with your claim?
No m8, the claim is dead in the water... got a letter off vosa months ago saying nothing will be done... Im afraid if you want to solve the problem it needs to be out of your own pocket...... happy days.
Old 25 July 2011, 09:08 PM
AndyWRXBUG
Scooby Newbie

My mate has just had his sorted so it still works
Old 28 July 2011, 01:40 PM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

Contacted Subaru UK who advised me they would carry out the work required on warranty for free all i needed to do was book it in at my local dealer and get them to contact Subaru UK to confirm. This has been done and its booked in for next week. Happy days
Old 28 July 2011, 03:36 PM
Deano1565
Scooby Regular

Contacted Subaru UK who advised me they would carry out the work required on warranty for free all i needed to do was book it in at my local dealer and get them to contact Subaru UK to confirm. This has been done and its booked in for next week. Happy days
How did you get in contact with them? Could you give me the number please?
Old 28 July 2011, 03:50 PM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deano1565
How did you get in contact with them? Could you give me the number please?
I just went into google typed Subaru UK and contact us got this tele number 0121 747 4000 told them about the issue and asked to speak with someone regarding it. In the end I got the okay from a guy called Phill Camwell based at Subaru UK headquarters. Ask if you can speak to him let him know the issue and as this thread states this was a recall in the US but not in the UK he is aware of this and should be able to put the request in to the powers that be who decide. I called at almost 5pm the other night and got a call back the next morning before 10am saying it had been authorised.
Old 28 July 2011, 05:29 PM
Deano1565
Scooby Regular

I just went into google typed Subaru UK and contact us got this tele number 0121 747 4000 told them about the issue and asked to speak with someone regarding it. In the end I got the okay from a guy called Phill Camwell based at Subaru UK headquarters. Ask if you can speak to him let him know the issue and as this thread states this was a recall in the US but not in the UK he is aware of this and should be able to put the request in to the powers that be who decide. I called at almost 5pm the other night and got a call back the next morning before 10am saying it had been authorised.

Thankyou!
Old 05 August 2011, 11:13 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Anything further from VOSA?
Old 05 August 2011, 02:47 PM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aztec Performance Ltd
Anything further from VOSA?
From what I have read from the other posts in this thread is that VOSA is a no go they are not doing anything. You would be better off contacting Subaru direct. I got my car looked at earlier this week and the pipework has been replaced all paid for by subaru.
Old 27 October 2011, 01:53 AM
Chrish_WRX
Scooby Regular

Subaru are still doing this guys...
I phoned up Subaru UK yesterday... they checked my VIN number to confirm it was in the affected Range and told me just to take it to the dealer of my choice and quote a Tech News number to get it done FOC...

The guy I spoke to knew the situation and explained (without me asking) why Subaru North America did a recall and why the UK havent...

If anyone is getting the smell of fumes still they are doing it on an AD-Hoc basis so no harm in giving them a call...

Subaru UK - 0121 747 4000 for those that want it..
Old 30 January 2012, 09:48 AM
lus7y
Scooby Newbie

Hi

Just phoned Subaru UK and the chap on the phone has said this only affects WRX's in extreme weather conditions. Tried to plead my case saying that over the past week or so in the cold mornings the fuel smell is unbearable, but no dice . He said to phone your local dealer for advice, so Keith Price is looking into for me.

Not too happy.
Old 08 February 2012, 10:56 AM
biggi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lus7y
Hi

Just phoned Subaru UK and the chap on the phone has said this only affects WRX's in extreme weather conditions. Tried to plead my case saying that over the past week or so in the cold mornings the fuel smell is unbearable, but no dice . He said to phone your local dealer for advice, so Keith Price is looking into for me.

Not too happy.
I have not had any joy yet but Phill Camwell will sort this out for you pal, his number is 01217474000, have your chassis number ready, good luck.
Old 08 February 2012, 04:01 PM
robd75
Scooby Regular

I had this problem start last week, called Subaru UK and spoke with Adrian Hogg who advised I needed to go to the dealership to get it checked. I have a 2002 wrx wagon.
Went to the garage and they had never heard of the problem and took quite a while to research it but when they found the tech bulletin and spoke with Adrian agreed to submit a warranty request (then while I was there they got another call from someome esle with the same problem)! Also found out that mine is a Belguim import.
Anyway, I got a call from them today confirming that they have accepted the warranty request and the car is booked in for repairs and I will get a courtesy car.
Old 08 February 2012, 04:07 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robd75
I had this problem start last week, called Subaru UK and spoke with Adrian Hogg who advised I needed to go to the dealership to get it checked. I have a 2002 wrx wagon.
Went to the garage and they had never heard of the problem and took quite a while to research it but when they found the tech bulletin and spoke with Adrian agreed to submit a warranty request (then while I was there they got another call from someome esle with the same problem)! Also found out that mine is a Belguim import.
Anyway, I got a call from them today confirming that they have accepted the warranty request and the car is booked in for repairs and I will get a courtesy car.
So subaru are fixing a 10 year old car for free. Wow good on them
If yours is a Belgium import and right hand drive i wonder if it was bought through the NAAFI buy a British serviceman when new?
Old 08 February 2012, 04:14 PM
robd75
Scooby Regular

It is right hand drive and I did not know it is an import.
Apparently there is a recall if you have the fuel smell (although the recall was only issued in 2010). Anyone who has t his problem should contact either the dealer or Subaru UK and they will check if it is one of the affected cars.
They have been really helpful and must say that I was suprised that they will repair a 10 year old car for free but I'm not complaining. They aslo said that there is a recall on the tranverse links on some of them so they will check and do these if needed at the same time, they will also give me a courtesy car while they have mine.
I don't think that you can fault that service :-)
Old 08 February 2012, 10:14 PM
lus7y
Scooby Newbie

Just an update, Keith Price in Abergavenny are going to do this for free, after they inspected the car and spoke to Subaru UK, so a good result ;-)
Old 08 February 2012, 11:40 PM
KojaK
Scooby Regular

Got mine done couple of weeks back,i just rang subaru uk up and told em problem i gave em chassis no,found out mine was euro import but was np,i was told to contact dealer and took to dealer they checked car out and said they would give me call wen the kit arrived to sort fuel smell out and now car is great no smell specially now its bloody cold,really i should of done this 2 years back instead of putting up with it.
Old 09 February 2012, 09:23 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good that folks are getting this pricey fix sorted FOC. My MY 2000 bug's VIN is being looked into by Subaru UK, and now Subaru Japan to see mine's within the remit.

Looks as if it should be as the affected manufacturing date ranges are between 22-09-00 through 12-09-02

Recent posts on this thread too
Old 09 February 2012, 09:17 PM
vc_1985
Scooby Regular

mines booked in to be checked and also the lateral links get a courtasy car too
Old 02 April 2012, 03:25 PM
Sy5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lus7y
Just an update, Keith Price in Abergavenny are going to do this for free, after they inspected the car and spoke to Subaru UK, so a good result ;-)

On an STI?

Thats reassuring as mine has started this problem. E-mailed VOSA so fingers crossed.
Old 02 April 2012, 03:43 PM
EarlierPrism
Scooby Regular

is this only Bug's or does it happen on early Blob's too ?

Quick Reply: Contacted VOSA today about fuel line fault wrx