ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

2008-2010 2.5ltr Engine Failures

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2014, 12:54 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fpan
1. I have not heard of any WRXs going bang.
2. What extra damage is going to be caused if it fails and you stop driving it immediately? Do not panick or get scared by engine builders stories. It might affect big end bearings? The cost of those is so small compared with the major expense which is labour taking the engine out and apart so it doesn't really matter IMHO.

Keep your money and *IF* something happens then fix it.
When an engine fails it will cause damage, the bores will probably get scored (re-bore required) and 99% of the time when they start knocking it takes the crank out, new crank required. it also takes alot longer to clean out an engine thats failed + you need a new modine.
Rebore, crank and modine + another 4 hrs labour for the cleaning +£700 ish
Old 07 April 2014, 01:30 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

2. What extra damage is going to be caused if it fails and you stop driving it immediately? Do not panick or get scared by engine builders stories. It might affect big end bearings? The cost of those is so small compared with the major expense which is labour taking the engine out and apart so it doesn't really matter IMHO.

If your travelling along at say 3600 RPM and the dreaded happens :-

1. You take one or two seconds to react. 120 turns of the engine.
2. You have to slow down and stop, perhaps your on a motorway or main road and can't just stop. 1800 revolutions of the engine.
3. You finally stop and switch the engine off, 3 seconds at a guess. 180 revolutions of the engine.

That's about 2100 revolutions of an engine with bit's potentially breaking up and going into oil chambers, modine, cylinders heads, valves etc etc. If your RPM's are higher then expotencially the damage will be worse.

Unless you hit an imoveable object you cannot "stop immediately" and by putting the clutch in will you stop the damage? No, the engine still turns until the ignition is off.
Old 07 April 2014, 01:39 PM
clyne 08
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815

2. You have to slow down and stop, perhaps your on a motorway or main road and can't just stop. 1800 revolutions of the engine.
3. You finally stop and switch the engine off, 3 seconds at a guess. 180 revolutions of the engine.

That's about 2100 revolutions of an engine with bit's potentially breaking up and going into oil chambers, modine, cylinders heads, valves etc etc. If your RPM's are higher then expotencially the damage will be worse.

Unless you hit an imoveable object you cannot "stop immediately" and by putting the clutch in will you stop the damage? No, the engine still turns until the ignition is off.
Multiply all them figures by 6 if the wife is driving when it happens! If your lucky or she may just continue to tesco or until the car seizes then call you and say the car seems funny!
Old 07 April 2014, 01:56 PM
Seahound007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by clyne 08
Multiply all them figures by 6 if the wife is driving when it happens! If your lucky or she may just continue to tesco or until the car seizes then call you and say the car seems funny!
LMAO
Old 08 April 2014, 10:32 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

It might affect the big end bearings

True, big end shells are not expensive but the crank will be ruined in a big end failure and that is expensive. Plus most folks don't clean the internals of the engine properly when doing a catastrophic failure and particles get sucked back in to the fresh engine and it starts its life weakened.

Engine builders stories are usually based on fact to advise the consequences of not doing the stitch in time. My job is to make sure that anyone that asks about a repair, gets data and reliable costings that they can make a decision on. If they choose to ignore advice that is their decision.

Budget? sure everyone has a budget and it needs to spread as far as possible in all cases. BUT as I have said before:

" There never enough money to do it right, but there is always enough money to do it twice ......."

David
Old 08 April 2014, 10:46 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815

VERY TRUE.

But in my opinion Sebastien Vettel might react in 2 seconds. Most cars have the stereo on and the failure noise needs to rise above road sound and so on as well.

So the likely delay time is probably going to be 30 seconds between start of noise and realisation of a problem. That is what does the damage. The whole thing is tearing itself to pieces long before the noise starts. Then once the protecting soft metal of the bearing surface is wiped away, that is when it gets serious.

The Subaru oil pump has a delivery rate of about 9 gallons a minute which means that in 30 seconds 4.5 gallons has travelled round the entire engine. There is about a gallon in the engine sump So all the oil has been round the engine 4.5 times taking fine particles everywhere.

The filter?, sure, it does as best it can, but the flat four config allows oil [ and particles ]to slosh into the bores and that gets up the side of the pistons and damages the lower portion of the liners. In an upright engine that doesn't happen of course, in a Subaru it is a significant problem.

David
Old 12 April 2014, 08:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by APIDavid

The Subaru oil pump has a delivery rate of about 9 gallons a minute which means that in 30 seconds 4.5 gallons has travelled round the entire engine. There is about a gallon in the engine sump So all the oil has been round the engine 4.5 times taking fine particles everywhere.

The filter?, sure, it does as best it can, but the flat four config allows oil [ and particles ]to slosh into the bores and that gets up the side of the pistons and damages the lower portion of the liners. In an upright engine that doesn't happen of course, in a Subaru it is a significant problem.

David
It amazes me that so few people realise the flow rate of a standard oil pump, not just on a Subaru, but any tin pot shopping car. Anyone who has had the misfortune to split/break an oil filter (erm, me ) will know how quick the sump gets emptied of its entire contents of oil (in the space of 30 seconds I lost 4 litres of oil from a burst filter).

Also not all oil filters are not always full flow, those with bypasses or of poor construction will allow unfiltered oil to bypass it during times of high oil flow/pressure (high rpm), when cold with thick oil or with a clogged/faulty filter.
Old 18 May 2014, 02:00 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

Default 2.5 2007 STI

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...d9e2f.mp4.html

Anyone else thinking the worst?

If so, I have a lovely 07 STI for sale 'great runner.....'

Last edited by smiffywhu; 18 May 2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 18 May 2014, 04:39 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

http://s113.photobucket.com/user/smi...70bd0.mp4.html

http://s113.photobucket.com/user/smi...95d27.mp4.html

Last edited by smiffywhu; 18 May 2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 18 May 2014, 07:46 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Have you been running second hand parts before remap or with no remap?
Old 19 May 2014, 09:45 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris, neither matey
Old 20 May 2014, 08:42 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smiffywhu
Anyone else thinking the worst?

If so, I have a lovely 07 STI for sale 'great runner.....'
Have you had a 'grown up' inspect it yet?
Old 20 May 2014, 10:34 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

The second link is a traditional [?] big end failure sound Loud clicking is a Subaru 'feature '

The 07 car noise is general clatter and seems to sound like the busted ring land noise.

Can be fixed for circa £2300.00 + VAT here and then will be stronger and much more reliable. Finish it off with a proper quality remap, by a reputable mapper, and it'll stay fixed.

David APi

01926 614333
Old 20 May 2014, 01:30 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave, is the 'EJ clatter' (on a non-knackered engine) predominantly the noise of the injectors ticking away?

Or is it an amalgam of those plus timing gear, etc.?

Last edited by joz8968; 20 May 2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 20 May 2014, 03:16 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by joz8968
Dave, is the 'EJ clatter' (on a non-knackered engine) predominantly the noise of the injectors ticking away?

Or is it an amalgam of those plus timing gear, etc.?
Difficult to tell John, the sound file is quite distorted and a listen to the real thing would be more use. It sounds to me like the busted ring land 'chatter', admittedly quite a loud one, but as a good educated guess that's my 5 p worth.

David
Old 08 June 2014, 07:36 AM
FlipC
Scooby Regular

Interesting.
I don't come over to this side that often so I am just now catching this thread and I find it interesting.

Of course I havent read ALL 53 pages.
But did glance the ring land failure pics. We (USA) have ****y gas and many of the 20Ks here are dead from it. Seemingly the 20K ECUs dont pull timing like the 20G units do.

But that aside I assume that these are under warranty so the dealer is changing the oil?
Reason I ask is that since 2007-2011 all car dealers in the US use a 0 weight oil on new cars. ALL manufacturer's are having high ring land failure due to this. Even Subaru.
Old 08 June 2014, 11:09 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FlipC
Interesting.
I don't come over to this side that often so I am just now catching this thread and I find it interesting.

Of course I havent read ALL 53 pages.
But did glance the ring land failure pics. We (USA) have ****y gas and many of the 20Ks here are dead from it. Seemingly the 20K ECUs dont pull timing like the 20G units do.

But that aside I assume that these are under warranty so the dealer is changing the oil?
Reason I ask is that since 2007-2011 all car dealers in the US use a 0 weight oil on new cars. ALL manufacturer's are having high ring land failure due to this. Even Subaru.
I've always been recommended to use 5w40 in all of my cars, though I think I remember a dealer telling me that 2.0 cars typically used 5w30.
Old 08 June 2014, 02:40 PM
Seahound007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
I've always been recommended to use 5w40 in all of my cars, though I think I remember a dealer telling me that 2.0 cars typically used 5w30.
I was recently recommended to put 0w 40 Castrol edge in my 2.5WRX sti.
What would be the difference with 5w 40?
To be honest I am a bit confused when it comes to oil & would welcome any advice.
Old 08 June 2014, 04:19 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Seahound007
To be honest I am a bit confused when it comes to oil & would welcome any advice.
0w40 is a no no - minimum of 5w **
Old 08 June 2014, 05:22 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Surely using such a thin oil would work it's way into bits of the engine it shouldn't be more quickly?

And get into normal bits at a higher rate e.g. causing bearings to spin?
Old 08 June 2014, 06:46 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Seahound007

You just need to look in your owners manual for guidance

Old 08 June 2014, 08:57 PM
Seahound007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
You just need to look in your owners manual for guidance

We have still had a lot of engine failures with drivers following Subaru instructions.
Old 08 June 2014, 09:08 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

The grown up said that knocking was the crankshaft due to low oil,since topping it up I haven't heard a squeak,so it's either only a matter of time until she goes pop or I've been a very lucky boy.I will certainly report back on her if/when she does
Old 10 June 2014, 10:34 PM
Jessy08
Scooby Newbie

Been looking for a new car for the past few weeks. Finally picked the 330s and now just read this thread.

So disheartened but I'm out. Not worth the worry, guess I will never own a Scooby
Old 10 June 2014, 10:36 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Jessy08
Been looking for a new car for the past few weeks. Finally picked the 330s and now just read this thread.

So disheartened but I'm out. Not worth the worry, guess I will never own a Scooby
there not all doomed to failure dude
Old 10 June 2014, 11:04 PM
Jessy08
Scooby Newbie

It would always be hanging over my head though? How likley is it to happen?

I mean a turbo failure or something of the same price to fix I could live with but engine going pop? O.o
Old 11 June 2014, 12:07 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Reading the thread about the one that's done TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND MILES in EIGHT YEARS would redress the balance Jessy. (Welcome aboard btw).

You will have seen the general advice - buy one below your budget just in case. If it goes pop you have the money, and a car that's then worth more than you paid. If it doesn't then slam it all on Kingston Hill to win the St Leger and trade up to a 22B.
Old 11 June 2014, 12:52 AM
Jessy08
Scooby Newbie

Is is possible to buy a 330s for less than 13,000?
Old 11 June 2014, 03:56 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Just had a quick look on autotrader and found a few sti's with forged engines in no time. There are some that have had the bhp up to over 330 so you would have the peace of mind and more power. Or option number 2 is buy a hawkeye and get that forged so you will have the peace of mind and have the opportunity to be the one to run the engine in.

IMO its worth spending some money to get the car you want after all what eles can you get, a bmw or audi. I dont know how much you have looked in to it but with a few simple mods and a map these cars can compete with the likes of rs4 and m3's.
Old 27 June 2014, 08:29 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

It would always be hanging over my head though? How likley is it to happen?

I mean a turbo failure or something of the same price to fix I could live with but engine going pop? O.o

Don't panic Mr Mannering.

Not all have issues. it comes down to wrong Fuel, who you drive and look after your car and if any mods have been added without being re mapped etc.

Quick Reply: 2008-2010 2.5ltr Engine Failures