ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

will a wrx/sti run ok on 95 ron?

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2013, 01:00 PM
scoobysteve1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daphne01
Any problems switching between V power and Tesco momentum. I think they both have the same 99 rating so wouldn't expect there to be any issues but...
as the closest shell station is quite a detour for me, i did try a tank of momentum but to be honest, the car felt a bit flat. i dont know if it was more down to the weather being warmer or the actual fuel but it just didnt feel right, especially compared to v power on a really cold morning! now i just take a trip to shell whenever i need to fill up.
Old 01 April 2013, 01:04 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car is mapped on momentum and runs fine, but i never use v power.

i would use v power if there was a station near me though.
Old 01 April 2013, 10:33 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markyscoob
Blah Blah, This thread is getting caught up in Ego bashing and ***** waving right now.

Let's stop this and just summarise all the crap with some cold simple facts.

ANY modern car comes with an ECU that will use the sensors and particularly the Oxygen sensors to determine mixture, A/F ratios and ignition timing. They start with a base map and modify from there to get the best A/F ratio they can.

However. Many manufacturers base map is based on 95RON petrol for UK or Euro spec cars and the car may retard ignition or richen fuel ratios from there, but will not advance beyond the base setting, i.e. there will be no benefit to using 97RON fuel.

The cars have knock sensors to detect detenation and retard to protec the engine.

Nissan Micra's do this, Kia's, Vauxhalls and Mercedes. Our Subaru's are no different in this respect except for the base map on a Subaru imported to the UK is set to 98RON. Subaru chose to do this.

Your ECU cannot know what fuel you have put in, it will aim for the correct A/F and ignition for it's map which should give you the book performance. However, it needs to detect the knock to correct for it. You therefore WILL GET DETENATION if you use 95RON fuel.

Of course, once this happens a few times, the ECU will then retard the ignition and remember the new settings. Now you get less power and no more detentaion. However, switching back to 98RON fuel will now not give you the original performance until the ECU is reset. Even a ful STI can therefore run happily on 95RON forever more. It will however have tax and insurance for an STi and run like a WRX.

A Mapped car will have that base level set for the particular engine, removing some of Subaru's cautiousness and generalisation, as each engine is slightly different.

However, the programming for the Knock detection and correction is still there in the ECU and it will retard as before when it detects knock. Of course, if it knocks with much higher temps and pressures than before, it may cause damage before the ECU can react.

There is another way.......to avoid knock and detenation on 95RON, don't rev it and don't use full boost. Disconnect the 3 way (with car turned off) and you get lower softer boost and avoid the knock until you can refill with 98RON fuel.

i.e. DRIVE GENTLY!!!!!

Fuel burns at a rate of 60ft per second. From the plug, it will burn progressively across the piston crown building pressure on the piston and building pressure as a result of increased temperature of the gas. This progressive pressure rise allows for the piston to rise over TDC and start to come down to a point where the pressure can be applied eficiently to the rod and crank. Detenation is where the high pressure and temperature of the air/fuel mixture is ignited early be a hot spot in the combustion chamber and literally explodes causing a sudden pressure/temperature rise too soon. As ignition may be 30 or so degrees prior to TDC, the result will apply pressure down to the crank too early, and the piston will not react meaning it is stuck at TDC with higher temperature and pressure than it was designed for....result is localised heating and shock loading that can cause failure.

This then causes Tony Burns to say I told you so and jump up and down smiling......
I can't see and ego's or ***** waving here, just opinion or advice based on knowledge, experience or past advice.
The first point is when subaru (who made the car) say 98ron or above says to me you should use 98ron or above. Yes the ecu should try and adjust if it detects knock from lower ron fuel but the key words in that sentence are ""try" and "detect".
Try as in it will say retard timing but there is a limit in how much it can adjust and that may not be enough to stop detonation. Detect as in it will only try and make the adjustment once the knock sensor has heard detonation. So you have already hurt the engine before any adjustment starts plus you are putting all your faith in the sensitivity and performance of the sensor and ecu.
I read lots of "forum talk" about all cars sold in the uk have to by law be able to run on the lowest quality fuel (95ron) or there not alowed to sell them. I've personally have never read this from any official source so will treat it as an urban myth.
The minimum octane rating is not printed in the hand book and a sticker place in the filler cap just for the fun of it !

If you KNOW different from the points i mention then please feel free to correct me with FACT and i will stop waving my sizeable ***** at you.
Old 01 April 2013, 11:02 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

The only bit i can correct you on is on what it says in the handbook (it says you can use 95 if 98 isnt availabe with only a loss of performance mentioned) but the rest i wouldnt know.
Old 01 April 2013, 11:44 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
The only bit i can correct you on is on what it says in the handbook (it says you can use 95 if 98 isnt availabe with only a loss of performance mentioned) but the rest i wouldnt know.
Yeah, loss of performance as in stay off boost if you have any sense or mechanical sympathy. It will run on 95ron but that grade is not recommended if you intend to use the vehicles performance. If your were very low on fuel on a trip and thats all you could get then you would use it. You should then drive accordingly ie off boost and fill up with the correct grade as soon as possible. Using a low grade in an emergency and driving accordingly and using it all the time and pushing the engine to its performance levels are 2 different things. You can put your faith in the ecu making enough adjustment to guarantee det free performance and you may get away with it. Then again you may not and its unlikely you would know if det were occurring during you drive causing expensive damage. At the end of the day these are performance engines and 99ron aint that great. Its just the best we can get in the uk.
Old 01 April 2013, 11:47 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Or 97 if in Northern Ireland ! (mine is mapped for it BTW)
Old 01 April 2013, 11:54 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
Or 97 if in Northern Ireland ! (mine is mapped for it BTW)
You did the right thing in having the map tweaked to run on the fuel available to you, so you know your det free on that grade rather than assume the standard map is up to the job. I have duel maps on mine, one for 99ron and one for 95ron. I never use the 95ron map and hope i never have to, but its there just in case.
Old 24 February 2014, 02:03 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

I read the same as what Charly posted in my Subaru manual and often used 95, 97 or 99 depending what was on offer at each garage.Having read this post I'll certainly be sticking to Vpower or momentum from now, thanks guys