Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Overclockers.co.uk - Crap service

Old 29 December 2003, 12:00 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
--You are wrong also... it has nothing to do with purchase price either.

Like for Like is your arguement.--

So what about insurance, new for old? I had a £250 ceramic hob replaced with the manufacturers latest equivalent, which cost £1000....
Old 29 December 2003, 12:03 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

--I ordered a £600 monitor one year ago, it has now packed up... their replacement is a £300 equivalent. I cannot argue or ask for my money back.--

Visa and trading standards argued that at the time of my original purchace of my card was the best available for £300 and I should recieve a similar replacement, i.e. the best available card for the same price of £300. OC agreed. Why did they do that then? I think you've been had.

[Edited by Jye - 12/29/2003 12:04:49 AM]
Old 29 December 2003, 12:04 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

For gods sake.. that equivalent could have cost £50 quid! Shows how much you know about replacements
Old 29 December 2003, 12:06 AM
ChrisB

Because you bought a monitor of x" in size, with y Mhz refresh rate, z max resolution etc etc.

Therefore when it broke, you get the nearest product of equivalent specification, even if the price is 50% less.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree here though

Chris.
Old 29 December 2003, 12:07 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Oh well, I think Visa/trading standards know more than you, but feel free to argue all night. They could not offer me the 'same' card, the equivalent card was to be the same spec as at the time of purchace, i.e, the best available for the price I paid. When i get the time I'll look out all the documents. Im not talking crap, this was how the case was settled.
Old 29 December 2003, 12:09 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Jye.. after a year I cannot ask for a smilarly priced monitor. I can only ask for a monitor of the same specifications as that I have lost. And being a year.. I have lost a lot havent I. That is the pace of technology and the pace I expected.

Thank **** we have not stood still. Thank **** my pc has been upgraded 3 times this year. Thank **** all this still really turns me on

[Edited by Soulgirl - 12/29/2003 12:11:12 AM]
Old 29 December 2003, 12:13 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Last post Im half asleeep, no malice Soulgirl just stating 'facts'.

--I ordered a £600 monitor one year ago, it has now packed up... their replacement is a £300 equivalent. I cannot argue or ask for my money back.--

If it was exactly the same specification/quality/size/refreshrate/ etc etc then yes you are correct. I was also talking 6 months, you were talking one year. OC could not offer me that card as it no longer existed. They had to me offer the nearest card to it, which was the Gainward GF4. What do you think they should have offered me when the GF3 Golden Sample no longer existed, a GF2MX, cos thats what they did?

Cheers

John
Old 29 December 2003, 12:13 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Jye.. what ever.. you obviously feel dominant and the winnnnnnar. You are teh winnar as they say in the US.

Old 29 December 2003, 12:15 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

soulgirl ..... "turns you on" ! weird Its just all chips

As I understand the replacement rights ... soulgirl has hit it on the head ... it is the same spec as when you brought it. You can get a better deal dependant on the company ... for example leadtek (I think) replaced a gf2 64mb with a gf2 pro 128mb (not exactley sure a long while a go) for me because that is what they had available ! The longer you have had the item the less chance you have of getting a better replacement. Insurance increase their premiums to allow for new for old.

Dave.

Old 29 December 2003, 12:15 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

--Thank **** all this still really turns me on--

You damn computer nerd . Hey I know you are very PC literate, it’s just I think in my case there were differences from yours.

Damn I made another post.

Sleep tight girl
Old 29 December 2003, 12:18 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

What I am trying to say is... so, you bought X for £500 and 6 months later it dies. X is now worth £100 and you want in replaced so Mr Company replaces your X for another product retailed at £75 pounds. Oh dear... how sad.. NO.. how real... that is the speed of advancement these days.

No, you cannot buy a computer component at £500 and expect it to be replaced by a £500 component 6 months to a year later.

End of story.

Old 29 December 2003, 12:19 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

--for example leadtek (I think) replaced a gf2 64mb with a gf2 pro 128mb--

Is this not just what I have been saying, or am I missing something Dave?

Soulgirl I dont want to be the winner, honestly. Sorry you think this
Old 29 December 2003, 12:21 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

You know I am NOT a computer nerd.

[quote-]for example leadtek (I think) replaced a gf2 64mb with a gf2 pro 128mb[/quote]

That has no guarantee that a 128 card is better than the 64 card.

And you know that suppliers are not stupid either. do you think, for one moment, they are going to replace your top of the range card for another top of the range? Exactly. It all moves on, and you will be lucky to benefit from your dodgy hardware failure.

[Edited by Soulgirl - 12/29/2003 12:24:13 AM]
Old 29 December 2003, 12:23 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Talking

Spotted the difference here

the value of the item it is being replaced with is not part of the equation ... it is of equivilant spec that matters.

I got a better card because that is what they had, if I had paid £200 for mine and a new higher spec one was only £100, that would of been the outcome. I could not ask for the £200 card just the same or better spec whatever the cost.

Dave.
Old 29 December 2003, 12:24 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

PS can I win ,,, it was my thread about delivery

*Humour* in case it is missed
Old 29 December 2003, 12:26 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

feckin hell.. If I had every component replaced that had failed, but chose to accept the cash, I would be £10k up!

[Edited by Soulgirl - 12/29/2003 12:26:49 AM]
Old 29 December 2003, 12:28 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

--You know I am NOT a computer nerd.--

That was a compliment, strange as it seems, but I looked at your webbie a while a go and thought hey, Soulgirl is up to speed, good on her, I couldnt have done it.

I'll have a look at the info tomorrow, and post it here. Seriously if you pay £300 for a card of a particular spec then they must give you a similar spec. The GF3 had been superseded by the GF4 so that is all they could give me. They offered a GFMX, which was a lower specced card. GFX card names, specs, numbers are all smoke and mirrors, its a complicated business working it all out. Do you know what the Golden Sample cards were/are?

I'll speak to you again tomorrow, please don’t go to your kip thinking I'm a pedantic sh*t, I’m only relating my experience and as the outcome was favourable surely this is one up for the consumer for a change.

[Edited by Jye - 12/29/2003 12:30:25 AM]
Old 29 December 2003, 12:28 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Talking

Better still , insure em new for old and then drop and run over the pc putting in the car for a lan game

Dave.
Old 29 December 2003, 07:32 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better still , insure em new for old and then drop and run over the pc putting in the car for a lan game
And watch yours and everyone elses premiums go up on contents insurance because of Fraud......
Old 29 December 2003, 09:12 AM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

LOL - I make a little comment & it explodes

Jye, I do have a fair good understanding of consumer law. The reason why you won is because credit card companies have to much power [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Credit card companies only care about their customers not the supplier. They don't give a damn if the supplier is right. It comes down to one thing - who is bigger & has more resources to fight - supplier or credit card company. IMO credit card companies are bullies & it will be a great day when a new law comes into play that changes the current situation.

Anyway, no hard feeling....... it only a discussion
Old 29 December 2003, 10:55 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

NP m8, just the 'usual' SN debates

So the moral is buy nothing over the net without Visa

But, I noticed the law has changed slightly since March 2003, it states that:

Reduction in price or getting a refund instead of a repair or replacement

If one of your rights under consumer law has been breached, and you bought your goods on or after 31 March 2003, you may be able to get the price reduced, or even to get a full refund if:-

it is impossible to replace or repair the goods, or

replacing or repairing the goods would cost more than reducing the price or giving you a full refund, or

the trader did not replace the goods or repair them within a reasonable period of time, or was not able to do so without causing you significant inconvenience.

I reckon OC UK would fail on this one as I was without a working PC for over 1 month.

Repair or replacement of goods

You may have the right to a repair or replacement of your goods, but it will depend on when you bought them. If you bought the goods before 31 March 2003, you do not have the right to ask for a repair or replacement, but you may choose to accept one if the trader offers it to you.

If you bought your goods on or after 31 March 2003 and one of your rights under consumer law has been breached (see under heading Getting a full refund for goods ), you can ask the trader for a free repair or replacement. You can do this at any time within 6 years of buying the goods (within 5 years if you bought them in Scotland), as long as it is reasonable for them to have lasted this long. If you do not discover the problem within 6 years (5 years in Scotland) of buying the goods, you will not be able to use your rights under consumer law to claim a repair or a replacement.

The five/six year time shocked me. Does this then mean you could claim compensation for a faulty PC component up to six years after purchace?

Im glad I won anyway, I also think consumers need more protection, not less. Still, look at the thread in general, crap service, I'd say so

Cheers anyhow

John
Old 29 December 2003, 12:03 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

The new law is a bit misleading because the supplier would normally refer you to the manufactures warranty. Also you have terms & conditions from the supplier which no doubt say after xx mths the warranty is covered by the manufacture. When you purchase goods you agree to those terms & conditions. One thing I do know is that the main stream website like OC would have no doubt had trading standards go through their terms & conditions to see if they are inline.

Within the first 6mths the credit card companies can re-claim the transaction without hushing a word. This is annoying because they re-claim the full transaction even if the customer is saying they want a refund for say 20% of the total transaction. IMO this is where the law should step in to prevent the credit card companies from taking this liberty. Its very annoying because a proper investigation should be carried out.

The moral of the story is that credit cards companies are school bullies, they can be handy if you need them