Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Full detail on my 03 WRX PPP by Steve Graves

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2006, 09:54 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Full detail on my 03 WRX PPP by Steve Graves

You have to register to view in the Detailing World Show Off section, so to save you the hassle here ya go....

Posted on Detailing World by Steve Graves

Subaru Impreza.

This 52 plate came today for a detail.

David had seen the work we’d carried out on one or two other Impreza’s, and wanted the same quality of finish on his pride and joy.

Here’s how it arrived –

Complete with a bug bomb or 2 –

And one or two other issues to be addressed through the day-

There’s only one product I reach for when faced with bug bombs, this one-

A good spray of the Einszett –

Then a coat of foam from the Gilmour –

This is a 50:50 mix of Snow Foam & Chemical Guy’s Maxi Suds II

Gave the foam 5 minutes to do it’s work, then rinsed with the Gilmour. Tommy then set too on the now sufficiently cooled wheels with Chemical Guy’s Maxi Blue Wheel cleaner, while I did the arches with Meguiar’s Super Degreaser at 10:1-

Rinsed the car a second time, then time for the hand wash stage. Using 2 buckets, Meguiar’s Shampoo Plus and Lambswool washmitts from Car Wash’n Wax, Tommy gave the Impreza a good careful handwash.

Rinsed the car a third time, then I treated the lower sections with Panel Wipe solvent, to remove any tar before claying. The Panel Wipe also took care of the adhesive remaining on the bootlid after this Impreza had been debadged.

Rinsed for a fourth time, then out with the clay. Using Sonus Grey clay from “Clean your car”, and using Megs Last Touch as lube, I carefully clayed only a little contaminant from the car. Because the tar had been taken care of by the Panel Wipe, the clay stayed cleanish, apart from pulling out a little touch up-

Rinsed the car a fifth time, then up to the polish shop for prep and polish.

After drying using Megs Last Touch and Water Magnets, the swirls and Random In Depth Scratches (R.I.D.S.) easily visible under the harsh shop lights (but not easily photographed)-

I took a full set of readings using my Elcometer 456 Paint Thickness Gauge, and inspected the depth of the scratches using my Elcometer 121 PIG. This Impreza showing sign’s of being a genuine one, with the trade mark Subaru 50 micron variance across each panel.

Time to crack on with the swirl removal. My current favourite new product is Chemical Guy’s Spider Swirl & Scratch remover –

After priming a LC orange pad with QD, I used 2 x 1” lines of product for a 1’ x 1’ section. Speed 1 to spread, 2 x passes at speed 4 with good pressure, followed by a spritz of QD then a final pass at speed 6. Any deeper but removable R.I.D.S. were gone, or greatly reduced after these 2 sets. The swirls and spider webs gone after the first set. The polish working very well on the Horizontals, but needed a little spritz of QD to remove the residue on occasion-

The Subaru bonnet after 2 sets of passes with the Chemical Guy’s Spider Swirl & Scratch remover –

The horizontals were a lot clearer of swirls and scratches, so we used Chemical Guy’s Medium Compound on a Sonus White SFX polishing pad. This leaves a last step ready finish, nice.

Any scratches were dealt with using Chemical Guy’s Heavy Duty Compound, and the expected haze from such a coarse compound was removed using Chemical Guy’s Professional Polish on a white SFX pad.

The bumpers, spoilers etc were dealt with using the CG’s Heavy Duty compound on a 4” Yellow spot cutting pad from LC, and the marring removed using CG’s Professional Polish on a 4” LC orange pad. We used the slow cut method to remove the defects, and the Pro polish to restore a brilliant gloss.

After wipe down using some ‘bargain’ work cloths from Car Wash ‘n Wax, it was time for the Glaze. David had seen the Blackfire on Scoobynet, and wanted this applying to his car.

David applied the Blackfire Gloss Enhancing polish by PC on a blue SFX pad.

After wiping down, we then applied a coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond by hand.

The alloys given a protective coat of Chemical Guy’s Rim Wax.

The trim treated to a coat of Chemical Guy’s New Look Trim Gel.

The tyres and inner arches to Meguiar’s Hyper Dressing cut 2:1

The glass to Meguiar’s Glass Cleaner Concentrate.

The rubber seals around the windows to Einszett Plastic Cleaner.

It was then time to buff off the Wet Diamond. The amount of static created by buffing off this stuff was a little worrying. After 5 minutes of making one anothers hair stand on end with the static charge filling the shop, we solved the issue with a quick wipe of Chemical Guy’s Anti Static Poly Wipe QD.

The afters –

StiPPP had popped in to the shop mid afternoon in a rather dusty Impreza, so as not to let the side down, we gave it a quicky detail-

Wash with Gilmour foam, Snow foam:Maxi Suds II 50:50 mix.
Wash by hand with Chemical Guys Extreme Bodywash.
Spritz with Chemical Guy’s Pro Detailer to aid drying.
Quick wipe down with Chemical Guy’s Insta Wax.
Dress trim with CG’s New Look Trim Gel.
Clean glass with Meg’s Glass Cleaner Concentrate.

Not bad for a quicky?

Some of the products mentioned in this write up-

CLICKY to see the whole thread.
Old 02 July 2006, 11:48 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

As always, superb work by L200 Steve. The amount of steps this man achieves in a day always impresses me. Got to love the Blackfire finish!
Old 03 July 2006, 12:03 AM
killa
Scooby Regular

another top job by Steve...