Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

How to safely and effectively polish Subaru paint by hand and machine

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2008, 07:26 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How to safely and effectively polish Subaru paint by hand and machine

One of the questions that pops up time and time again on here is how do I remove swirl marks and scratches from my paint? Rather than continuing to answer these questions one by one, I thought I would take the time to write a pictorial guide instead. This will hopefully save me some time on the forums, and also serve to reinforce the methods and products we recommend for this task. Some of you will be aiming to try and correct your paint by hand, while others of you will be using dual action machines – this guide will cover both approaches. Okay, here we go...

How to safely and effectively correct Subaru paint by hand

If you choose to work by hand on Subaru paint you've got little chance of removing all of the defects present, so often the best bet is to use a glaze like Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze or Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish to fill and hide the defects and then seal the finish with a decent wax or sealant (to boost the gloss and lock in the fillers). This approach is straightforward and relatively easy in terms of product application and removal. However, if you are happy to put in a lot of hard work, then it is possible to achieve a reasonable degree of correction by hand, providing you use a polish with a high degree of cut but that also breaks down effectively with just hand pressure. Few polishes have these characteristics, but one that does and that we highly recommend is Menzerna Intensive Polish. Here is an example of what can be achieved with it...

Before

All of the usual suspects can be seen here; marring, swirl marks and deeper random scratches. Once again note that swirl marks are not circular patterns. Instead, they are simply the result of a lighting source reflecting off of the edges of widespread multi-directional random fine scratches...

Name:  polishing1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  57.1 KB

Step 1

There are many different types of polish available on the market today, but one of the few that is capable of producing excellent results when working by hand on harder paints is Menzerna Intensive Polish. I recommend applying it using the white side of a German Pad, and buffing off the spent residue with a Poorboys Super Thick & Plush Towel...

Name:  polishing2.jpg
Size:  67.9 KB

Step 2

This is how much polish I recommend using per 12”-18” square area. Use any less and very little correction will be done, use any more and you will struggle to break it down fully...

Name:  polishing3.jpg
Size:  62.8 KB

Step 3

Note that when you first start working it in the residue is a solid looking white colour. You should work the polish in straight lines in all directions using firm pressure...

Name:  polishing4.jpg
Size:  44.3 KB

Step 4

Keep working the polish firmly until the residue thins out and turns clear – this indicates that the abrasives are properly broken down. Don’t be tempted to give up before this happens, otherwise the level of correction will be lower than expected, and you may also leave marring in the paint. I usually find each area needs to be worked for a good 3-4 minutes before the residue is ready to be buffed off...

Name:  polishing5.jpg
Size:  55.6 KB

Step 5

Here is the result of 3-4 minutes of hard work...

Name:  polishing6.jpg
Size:  49.6 KB

Around 80% correction I would say, which isn’t bad at all considering the state of the paint to begin with. However, the deeper random scratches are still visible, and while you could of course keep on and on with the Intensive Polish in an attempt to remove them, a better bet is to accept from the off that full correction can only really be achieved using a machine. Right then, let’s take care of those remaining deeper scratches with a machine...

How to safely and effectively correct Subaru paint by dual action machine

Whilst it is relatively easy to swirl Subaru paints up, it can be very difficult to subsequently correct them, as we saw above. Subaru paints comprise the standard 3 layer system used by most car manufacturers (primer, pigment, lacquer), but the lacquer tends to be harder and slightly more elastic than most. To fully correct defects in such clearcoats requires polishes with ultra-fine, ultra-sharp particles that resist premature breakdown. The latest generation of polishes from Menzerna hits both of these nails squarely on the head and Lake Country's CCS Technology pads have been designed to work perfectly with these polishes. Here is the method I recommend using a dual action machine such as the newly released Meguiars Dual Action Polishing Machine...

Before

Just a quick reminder of the defects remaining after a tiring session of hand polishing...

Name:  polishing6.jpg
Size:  49.6 KB

Step 1

My product of choice for deeper defect removal in harder paints is Menzerna RD3.02. It is quite simply a brilliant product, having enough bite to tackle most defects, yet finishing down almost as well as a finishing polish...

Name:  polishing7.jpg
Size:  57.9 KB

Step 2

In this example, I am using a small Lake Country CCS Light Cut Spot Pad in order to allow you to see more of how the polish is behaving as I work it; however, the method is identical whether you are working with spot pads or full size pads. This is how much polish I recommend using per 12”-18” square area. Use any less and very little correction will be done, use any more and you will struggle to break it down fully...

Name:  polishing8.jpg
Size:  55.6 KB

Step 3

Before starting the machine, it is important to partially spread the polish by dabbing the pad evenly all over the work area...

Name:  polishing9.jpg
Size:  66.4 KB

Step 4

With the pad touching the panel, switch the machine on at speed 1, and make several overlapping passes to spread the polish thinly and evenly over the work area...

Name:  polishing10.jpg
Size:  81.4 KB

Step 5

With the spreading done, increase the speed of the machine to between 4 and 5 on the dial. Then, applying light to moderate pressure, work the machine slowly back and forth over the work area in overlapping passes. I tend to favour moving the machine around at a rate of 4-6 inches per second. Note that during the early stages of the work the residue remains a solid looking white colour.

Step 6

After a few minutes you will see the residue thin out and turn clear – this indicates that the abrasives are properly broken down. Don’t be tempted to give up before this happens, otherwise the level of correction will be lower than expected, and you may also leave marring in the paint...

Name:  polishing11.jpg
Size:  78.7 KB

Step 7

Once the polish residue is fully broken down, switch off the machine with the pad held against the panel, and then buff off, turning the towel regularly (again I recommend buffing off the spent residue with a Poorboys Super Thick & Plush Towel). Here is the result of 3-4 minutes of much easier work...

Name:  polishing12.jpg
Size:  54.0 KB

Step 8

Now we have a finish that is 95% corrected, with just a few feint traces of previous deeper defects. However, the finish isn’t quite as sharp as it could be, so following up with an ultra-fine finishing polish is necessary if we want to achieve a truly stunning finish. My product of choice for refining hard paints is Menzerna 85RD. It is a superb finishing polish, with minimal cut but maximum gloss enhancing characteristics. You don’t quite appreciate how much sharper it makes paint look until you try it...

Name:  polishing13.jpg
Size:  66.7 KB

Step 9

In this example, I am using a small Lake Country CCS Polishing Spot Pad in order to allow you to see more of how the polish is behaving as I work it; however, the method is identical whether you are working with spot pads or full size pads. This is how much polish I recommend using per 12”-18” square area. Use any less and very little correction will be done, use any more and you will struggle to break it down fully...

Name:  polishing14.jpg
Size:  59.0 KB

Step 10

Before starting the machine, it is important to partially spread the polish by dabbing the pad evenly all over the work area...

Name:  polishing15.jpg
Size:  82.5 KB

Step 11

With the pad touching the panel, switch the machine on at speed 1, and make several overlapping passes to spread the polish thinly and evenly over the work area...

Name:  polishing16.jpg
Size:  76.2 KB

Step 12

With the spreading done, increase the speed of the machine to between 4 and 5 on the dial. Then, applying light to moderate pressure, work the machine slowly back and forth over the work area in overlapping passes. I tend to favour moving the machine around at a rate of 4-6 inches per second. Note that during the early stages of the work the residue remains a solid looking purple colour...

Name:  polishing17.jpg
Size:  67.8 KB

Step 13

After a few minutes you will see the residue thin out and turn clear – this indicates that the abrasives are properly broken down. Don’t be tempted to give up before this happens, otherwise the level of correction will be lower than expected, and you may also leave marring in the paint...

Name:  polishing18.jpg
Size:  64.5 KB

Step 14

Once the polish residue is fully broken down, switch off the machine with the pad held against the panel, and then buff off, turning the towel regularly (again I recommend buffing off the spent residue with a Poorboys Super Thick & Plush Towel). Here is the result of 3-4 minutes of refining the finish to perfection...

Name:  polishing19.jpg
Size:  50.2 KB

Around 99% correction or more I would say, and certainly enough to ensure a flawless looking finish in full sun conditions. With the polishing stages complete, all that remains is to seal the finish against the elements using either a sealant or wax. The choice of sealant or wax can greatly alter the way the paint looks, and for more information please see the other sticky threads discussing what to use and why on various coloured paints. I hope that helps some of you, and as always if anyone has any questions please don’t hesitate to ask either below, by pm, by e-mail or by phone.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
polishing6.jpg (49.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 24 January 2008, 08:02 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Thanks PB interesting read as always
Old 24 January 2008, 08:11 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

My pleasure, 85RD posted today...
Old 24 January 2008, 08:26 PM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

thanks PB been holding out for ages for some one just put it to me in nice simple terms at last:notwo rthy
Old 24 January 2008, 09:21 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great read and very informative as usual ..... but I think I`ll let YOU do the hard work mate!
Old 24 January 2008, 10:02 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
My pleasure, 85RD posted today...

Thanks PB any plans to sell dry sunny weather on your site (will it ever stop raining) I would have posted up a thank you thread but to be honest it must get embarrassing all this positive feedback you get , blown away as always with your customer service and the advice that you so freely give…

Thanks again
Old 24 January 2008, 10:21 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by COLZO
Great read and very informative as usual ..... but I think I`ll let YOU do the hard work mate!
Lol, I'll be in touch tomorrow, forums today, e-mails tommorrow, never ever time to get everything done in a day!
Old 24 January 2008, 10:21 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK

Thanks PB any plans to sell dry sunny weather on your site (will it ever stop raining) I would have posted up a thank you thread but to be honest it must get embarrassing all this positive feedback you get , blown away as always with your customer service and the advice that you so freely give…

Thanks again
Always very welcome.
Old 24 January 2008, 10:30 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent!!! Was given a Meguiars Dual Action Polishing Machine for my birthday so will be ordering all the polishes from you soon...and now I have a lot more confidence about how to use it

What's your opinion on Menzerna One Step Acrylic Jacket these days? I notice you don't stock it any more but I have some that I've never used - how would it work with my new machine do you think? Or maybe I should just use it up as a sealant?
Old 24 January 2008, 11:26 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

It didn't sell well enough to warrant keeping it... it seems most folk prefer dedicated products for polsihing and protection, which in many ways makes sense as one step products do tend to be compromised (not enough cut to polish well, limited durability due to lower sealant/wax content). I actually liked Acrylic Jacket a lot, and there's no reason not to use it unless you are happy to shell our for seperates so to speak. It gives a lovely sharp finish on most colours, with great reflectivity. You can also still top it up with the Menzerna quick detailer too.
Old 24 January 2008, 11:32 PM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

awesome!
Old 25 January 2008, 12:53 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Good guide.

G
Old 25 January 2008, 09:05 AM
lovinmescoob
Scooby Regular

PB, Thanks alot for that, many thanks and keep up the good work!!
Old 25 January 2008, 10:38 AM
blagman
Scooby Regular

Top job always informative and in a style that the layman can understand and relate to

Well done PB

Now get those kits together
Old 25 January 2008, 12:07 PM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Amazing, cheers for that!
Old 25 January 2008, 07:26 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Is it easy to use a machine polisher with Subaru paint being so thin?

I ask this question because most people will be unsure of this, including myself. Can you actually go through the paint polishing applying to much pressure or does it depend on what product(s) you are using?

Ant

(Fed up of doing it by hand )
Old 25 January 2008, 08:00 PM
HUDDERS1
Scooby Regular

sounds a daft idea but thinking of purchasing the new Meguiars Dual Action
Polishing Machine. nipping down to local scrap yard for some panel's and having a practice 1st before attacking car.
Old 25 January 2008, 08:26 PM
emerald paddy
Scooby Regular

superb guide guys.
Old 26 January 2008, 01:19 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

If I used "Menzerna Intensive Polish" would I need to follow it up with a wax/sealant? liie the 85RD?
Old 26 January 2008, 05:55 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

great write up that. cheers
Old 26 January 2008, 07:36 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DarrenSTI
If I used "Menzerna Intensive Polish" would I need to follow it up with a wax/sealant? liie the 85RD?

yep you would to Add protection and give the desired effect i.e. “wet look” 85RD is just a Finishing polish not a wax or sealant (Received my one thanks PB with out the card I would have been very confused )
Old 26 January 2008, 07:46 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HUDDERS1
sounds a daft idea but thinking of purchasing the new Meguiars Dual Action
Polishing Machine. nipping down to local scrap yard for some panel's and having a practice 1st before attacking car.
Good question Mark.
Old 28 January 2008, 12:12 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Mods... can we make this a sticky please?

Tony.
Old 28 January 2008, 04:40 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Any prices on the materials involved?
Old 28 January 2008, 07:28 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+
Any prices on the materials involved?
all on PolishedBliss.co.uk
Old 28 January 2008, 08:32 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

*waiting for those Megs DA kits to go up on the site!*
Old 29 January 2008, 03:20 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Cheers folks; we're getting so busy these days that come spring/summer I may not be able to get on much, so the more I can put up like this should mean folk have most of their questions relating to our products answered without waiting around for days.

Okay, covering some of the questions. Firstly, thin paint. Doing the above process typically removes around 1% or so of total paint thickness; in many cases it's hard to measure the loss, even with highly precise gauges. So, it would be quite difficult to polish through the cleatcoat in normal situations. The only time this could happen more easily is if the car had been polished extremely hard in the past, using professional tools.

A much greater danger for newbie polishers on Impreza's is actually backing plate strike; for example, it's easy when running the machine up the bonnet to lose sight of the edge of the scoop; run the machine into this hard and the pad will bend up, potentially allowing the plate to strike the scoop, and more than likely taking a chunk out of it at the same time. Again the risk is minimal, but you do need to watch this when learning from scratch.

Some confusion is evident above with regard to the differences between polishes and protective products (waxes and sealants). The idea above was to correct the paint with a compound (RD3.02) then refine it with a finishing polish (85RD) ready for the subsequent application of either a wax or sealant to lock in and protect the finish. For ideas about what wax or sealant might be best for your colour paint, please see the guides at the top of the car care section (yes, a guide on blue will be appearing soon ).

For those of you interested in machine polishining kits, you may be interested in the new kits added to our store last night. These are designed to give you all the tools you need, simply add the polishes and buffing towels and you'll be ready to go. See here for details...

Meguiars G220 Dual Action Polishing Machine - Meguiars Car Care and Detailing Products

Finally I have asked the webmaster to make this a sticky, but he hasn't been replying to my pm's lately? Anyone know if I should still be speaking to Shaun about these matters, or someone lelse?

Old 01 February 2008, 02:19 PM
Averroes
Scooby Regular

Rich in step 8 above, isnt that a bottle of Final Finish PO106FA rather than Final Finish PO85RD

If so, how do the two differ
Old 01 February 2008, 05:04 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Nope, Menzerna have cleverly adopted the same packaging for both bottles; the only way to tell them apart is to read the bar coded label on the bottom of the bottle. Bloomin' Germans!
Old 01 February 2008, 05:11 PM
Averroes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Nope, Menzerna have cleverly adopted the same packaging for both bottles; the only way to tell them apart is to read the bar coded label on the bottom of the bottle. Bloomin' Germans!
Whats the difference between the two?

Quick Reply: How to safely and effectively polish Subaru paint by hand and machine