Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

RIP Windows XP

Old 11 April 2014, 11:41 AM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
You really need to work on the whole language/communication thing
Im tired of complaints about the way you interact with the community so you now have a month to go and work on yours...

Last edited by Evolution Stu; 11 April 2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11 April 2014, 02:35 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Old 11 April 2014, 07:10 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good and about time to imo. I was thinking it probably wasn't the brightest idea venting his gob about PC's and Windows when the forum owner is a passionate PC user/gamer/modder
Old 11 April 2014, 08:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Haha, I can see cyclical detention for F1 and Jack some way into the future.
Old 12 April 2014, 08:17 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bioforger
Good and about time to imo. I was thinking it probably wasn't the brightest idea venting his gob about PC's and Windows when the forum owner is a passionate PC user/gamer/modder
Just about sums it up. Take your differing opinion elsewhere.
Old 12 April 2014, 09:28 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Point being you should not deliberately set out to deride/promote any particular system

:idea3:
Old 12 April 2014, 10:14 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Or in other words - don't risk free speech!
Old 12 April 2014, 11:06 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Or in other words - don't risk free speech!
Free Speech doesn't truly exists as many words can have consequences in law and social standing.

If you conduct a factual critique comparing 2 or more subjects then you can justify it's existence. Once you start adding in emotion and feelings, you can sure as hell bet that you are going to offend someone. Resorting to personal insults you are no longer exercising free speech you are a hate monger setting about upsetting anyone that doesn't agree with you.

If you want the privilege of free speech it comes with responsibility to make your point in an adult and constructive fashion which clearly someone in this thread was unable to do without accusing people of sucking **** or worse, hence my departure. I had no complaint about f1_fan I merely removed myself from the situation as unwinnable and resulting in further insults directed at me.

That is how adults act, as who wants to really see 2 people trading insults on a forum? I would imagine Stu thought the same.
Old 12 April 2014, 02:36 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Sticks and stones - let people say what they want! It takes two to argue and if that's what they wish to do then fine! Plenty of other stuff to read on SN although it seems to be getting quieter all the time round here!

Last edited by Brun; 12 April 2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12 April 2014, 03:21 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Sticks and stones - let people say what they want! It takes two to argue and if that's what they wish to do then fine! Plenty of other stuff to read on SN although it seems to be getting quieter all the time round here!
It is called keyboard warrioring, you wouldn't speak like that to someone's face so why do it on a community forum?
Old 12 April 2014, 04:09 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

I wouldn't but I'm sure some would!
Old 12 April 2014, 09:15 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Just about sums it up. Take your differing opinion elsewhere.
Except he wasn't banned for having an opinion, he was banned for being over opinionated and blatantly rude, there is a slight difference
Old 13 April 2014, 02:50 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RIP f1_fan

Anyone else think the thread title could now do with a bit of a re-edit?

Last edited by markjmd; 13 April 2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 13 April 2014, 11:16 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by markjmd
Anyone else think the thread title could now do with a bit of a re-edit?

Being banned is nearly as funny as him saying it was fact that XP is better than Win7 and then tries to lectures others on the differences between stating opinions and facts

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 13 April 2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 14 April 2014, 12:16 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

But he preferred XP therefore it must be worse and everyone elses opinions are irrelevant what a bellend.
Old 14 April 2014, 10:57 AM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Galifrey
If you want the privilege of free speech it comes with responsibility to make your point in an adult and constructive fashion which clearly someone in this thread was unable to do without accusing people of sucking **** or worse, hence my departure. I had no complaint about f1_fan I merely removed myself from the situation as unwinnable and resulting in further insults directed at me.

That is how adults act, as who wants to really see 2 people trading insults on a forum? I would imagine Stu thought the same.
Exactly.
Old 15 April 2014, 11:42 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Wins 7 and 8 have support for most printers........
May be for most but not all. Not with the Windows 8.1.

Although as soon as I upgraded to Windows 8.1, my printer Lexmark X4550 stopped working with my laptop. I know it's only a bog-standard inkjet, but it DID work with Windows 7 and 8. I looked into it, and found that it was a driver issue, and Lexmark X4550 didn't have a driver for 8.1. Now whether Lexmark X4550 didn't have the driver for 8.1, or whether Windows 8.1 weren't so kind to accept Lexmark X4550, I really do not care. What I do know is that a day before my printer worked with Windows 8, and then it let me down as soon as I upgraded to Windows 8.1.

However...............had I upgraded my printer, and if it stopped with my whichever Windows, I'd blame the printer. But that wasn't the case. It was the Windows I upgraded that rejected not only my printer but also my perfectly fine USB mouse. So, it is the Windows 8.1 being so snobbish for not letting my little printer print my docs.

It was a nerve-wrecking situation, as there was no warning before the Windows upgrade of that sort, and I was stuck to print some very important docs that day. I got rescued by someone else in their office, but I shouldn't have had to beg them to print my docs.

Basically, I had to go out and buy a new Officejet printer, which is actually top notch.

The aftermath is that I'm stuck with a perfect but redundant 3-in-1 Lexmark X4550 with original expensive unpacked cartridges, and no one wants that printer with all that even for 20 quid. Nice.
Old 15 April 2014, 11:48 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Just noticed that f_1 has been banned!

Reading this thread from the very beginning, you did self-fulfill your ever-longing prophecy, Chris. LOL and I bet you'll have a good break, and see you around when you get back.
Old 15 April 2014, 02:18 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
May be for most but not all. Not with the Windows 8.1.

Although as soon as I upgraded to Windows 8.1, my printer Lexmark X4550 stopped working with my laptop. I know it's only a bog-standard inkjet, but it DID work with Windows 7 and 8. I looked into it, and found that it was a driver issue, and Lexmark X4550 didn't have a driver for 8.1. Now whether Lexmark X4550 didn't have the driver for 8.1, or whether Windows 8.1 weren't so kind to accept Lexmark X4550, I really do not care. What I do know is that a day before my printer worked with Windows 8, and then it let me down as soon as I upgraded to Windows 8.1.

However...............had I upgraded my printer, and if it stopped with my whichever Windows, I'd blame the printer. But that wasn't the case. It was the Windows I upgraded that rejected not only my printer but also my perfectly fine USB mouse. So, it is the Windows 8.1 being so snobbish for not letting my little printer print my docs.

It was a nerve-wrecking situation, as there was no warning before the Windows upgrade of that sort, and I was stuck to print some very important docs that day. I got rescued by someone else in their office, but I shouldn't have had to beg them to print my docs.

Basically, I had to go out and buy a new Officejet printer, which is actually top notch.

The aftermath is that I'm stuck with a perfect but redundant 3-in-1 Lexmark X4550 with original expensive unpacked cartridges, and no one wants that printer with all that even for 20 quid. Nice.
Sadly this is Lexmark's problem as they are responsible for writing the drivers. All the manufacturers submit their drivers to MS for inclusion on the installation disk while they are testing 8.1 in beta. The sole reason for them getting beta OS's is so they can write drivers for their products. I notice that they don't have a windows 8 or 8.1 driver for that printer so you may have just got away with the older windows 7 driver for 8 that went **** up when you installed 8.1.
Old 15 April 2014, 03:25 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Galifrey
Sadly this is Lexmark's problem as they are responsible for writing the drivers. All the manufacturers submit their drivers to MS for inclusion on the installation disk while they are testing 8.1 in beta. The sole reason for them getting beta OS's is so they can write drivers for their products. I notice that they don't have a windows 8 or 8.1 driver for that printer so you may have just got away with the older windows 7 driver for 8 that went **** up when you installed 8.1.

Oh, right. Thanks for explaining that, Galifrey.

Lexmark's scanner continues to work with my Windows 8.1 laptop, so what I will do is that keep using Lexmark scanner/copier to chong the ink cartidges to their last drop. Then I won't feel so gutted. My daughter with Windows 7 is offering to paint my new fence panel for the Lexmark for her Uni work, so that may be a better business deal for me. Mind you, her dissertation will be churning out via my other laser printer, so I think Lexmark will simply gather dust at her place, or print out her Uni party pics until all the ink cartritges are empty. Oh, well. It will get used one way or other, and that brings my blood pressure down a bit.
Old 15 April 2014, 03:37 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Old 16 April 2014, 07:34 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Oh, right. Thanks for explaining that, Galifrey.

Lexmark's scanner continues to work with my Windows 8.1 laptop, so what I will do is that keep using Lexmark scanner/copier to chong the ink cartidges to their last drop. Then I won't feel so gutted. My daughter with Windows 7 is offering to paint my new fence panel for the Lexmark for her Uni work, so that may be a better business deal for me. Mind you, her dissertation will be churning out via my other laser printer, so I think Lexmark will simply gather dust at her place, or print out her Uni party pics until all the ink cartritges are empty. Oh, well. It will get used one way or other, and that brings my blood pressure down a bit.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/after-installing-windows-81-lexmark-x4550-will-not/e8ca18ee-f350-4fab-92fb-e5dc7cff6912
Old 16 April 2014, 10:50 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/after-installing-windows-81-lexmark-x4550-will-not/e8ca18ee-f350-4fab-92fb-e5dc7cff6912

http://answers.th.com/en-uk/snforum/software/yes- and-this-confirms-that-there-are-some-printers-that-don't-work-with-Windows 8.1/enda-ofb alfabetagamatheta456

Old 16 April 2014, 03:53 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Well in over a week my wife's spoke to me today and they've had to shut all computers as they're infected

They're running Xp
Old 16 April 2014, 05:07 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ant
Well in over a week my wife's spoke to me today
Result - hit her harder next time, and see if you can do two weeks
Old 17 April 2014, 08:10 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
Result - hit her harder next time, and see if you can do two weeks
I was gonna ask, why's she not spoken to you for a week .. but that explains it
Old 19 April 2014, 11:38 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If anyone is looking to replace their aging OS with a more stable, faster and secure OS, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS has been released, and best of all it's free!
Old 19 April 2014, 04:25 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jonc
If anyone is looking to replace their aging OS with a more stable, faster and secure OS, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS has been released, and best of all it's free!
I am using 13.10 I really like ubuntu. , my hp laptop boots in seconds and runs well. I will definitely be upgrading to 14.04. It's free!

I still have xp pro on my other ssd, I only keep it for connecting to my motorcycle ecu and rooting my Android phones haha

Installed Trusty Tahr 14.04LTS, running smoothly

Last edited by andy97; 22 April 2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12 May 2014, 08:16 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Well a month on and the fact remains that XP is still Microsoft's most popular and best operating system. I think certain people missed the point. The Beetle was VW's best car, sure it's not better than their current cars, but at the time.... and many are still running today!

Anyway as a result of this thread I have decided that I will just keep out of the tech section in future (something I had been doing due to all the Mac vs PC crap when for some stupid reason I decided to come back and post in here again) so there will be no further need for anyone to run to the mods in future over my posts in here. Oh and my ignore list has gained a new member too so all good

Last edited by f1_fan; 12 May 2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12 May 2014, 10:43 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Kaspersky recently stated 25% of machines getting updates from their servers are still XP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RIP Windows XP