Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

What's the best phone?

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2014, 11:08 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CutMasterT
Fairly sure my battery is knackered. But also this phone has been very buggy ever since I got it. Turning itself on and off randomly and crashing/freezing. Also I'm with 3 and never get signal

To be fair most others with Galaxy's seem ok, I probably got a bad pick off the line
Definitely sounds like it, or the device itself is fubar. Does it also take a long time to charge the battery? that would be another sign.

I'm also with 3, but get 100% signal everywhere i go :s
Old 01 August 2014, 11:22 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive noticed quite a few apps on droid seem to only display in portrait

Natwest app
Asda app

Few others

Ive also noted that the volume on android is low compared to apple, common issue so i see on the net, needing third party apps to try boost it, not great i must say, although the z2 does include noise cancelling headphone which help with this known issue and damn good they are too

Is there anyway to change this or are they not orientation aware
Old 01 August 2014, 11:32 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

ASDA app All the apps i use work in landscape, that's down to the app design anyway not android nor the device. Volume isn't an issue with decent earbuds, the standard ones are usually cack. Volume on the S5 is fine on the speaker as well.
Old 01 August 2014, 12:36 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
ASDA app All the apps i use work in landscape, that's down to the app design anyway not android nor the device. Volume isn't an issue with decent earbuds, the standard ones are usually cack. Volume on the S5 is fine on the speaker as well.
****e design then lol all apps should adapt

As for headphones I'm using some of the best IEMs out 300 quid up android just doesn't seem to be as loud as Apple and that's not just me google agrees

One of 100s
http://galaxy-note2.wonderhowto.com/how-to/music-not-loud-enough-heres-increase-volume-limits-your-samsung-galaxy-note-2-0144571/

Anyway back on track z2 or htc would be mine

Last edited by Littleted; 01 August 2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01 August 2014, 12:41 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Agreed, if the app has only been written to work in portrait its an oversight of the developer. I rather have an app that has been developed to work properly in landscape to one which adapts and is poor.

Get your hearing tested then i guess Max volume on mine with Sennheiser earbuds is too loud for me.
Old 01 August 2014, 04:26 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how bad is the camera on the HTC One M8?
Old 01 August 2014, 04:40 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

Definitely sounds like it, or the device itself is fubar. Does it also take a long time to charge the battery? that would be another sign.

I'm also with 3, but get 100% signal everywhere i go :s
Yer the battery takes a while to charge fully, overnight charging will get it fully charged. But as soon as i take it off charge it will go flat within 1 hour without me even using it lol.

I was using the sat nav on it and had it plugged in to the ciggarrete lighter to charge and It couldn't maintain the charge rate so went flat on charge

Due for an upgrade in a few months, will probably go for S4 - fairly sure they'll be cheap eneough. Not too fussed on having the latest greatest phone, as long as its not like my current S3 lol
Old 01 August 2014, 04:44 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Really i would try for a S5 the S4 isn't particularly good a lot of S3 owners who upgraded to it had lots of issues. I had an S3 before my S5 and it was spot on, never had a problem with it.
Old 01 August 2014, 04:47 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
One word, grainy. Results just look poor in any light condition.

Whereas the S5 produces some of the best pictures i've ever seen from a phone. You can get some excellent results using HDR on the S5 as well.
Old 01 August 2014, 09:30 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it's tested to IP67, then it's IP67, end of. waterproof up to 1M, at IP66 you can jet wash it, but you say
It's designed to repell rain or small drops of water, not to go swimming or a have a bath with it.
how can they obtain IP ratings so high if it only repel's rain?

Old 01 August 2014, 10:22 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

IP67 doesn't mean its properly waterproofed, it just means it can withstand being dipped in 1M of water for short periods of time. So if you add pressure into the mix like swimming with it or spraying it with water, that's pushing its resistance. None of their marketing mentions it being fully waterproof only water resistant. I don't why you find it hard to distinguish between the two. Just look at the phone's design it only has a thin rubber gasket inside the casing to protect the battery and the charging point has a flimsy flap, water can get in there easily.
Old 01 August 2014, 11:13 PM
grey_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
I have a HTC one M8 and the camera is sweet. I am a designer and I use the camera daily, if set up in the correct mode it takes unbelievable images. Hype that the camera is w*nk! it is not by any means. The HDR setting on the M8 takes as good a picture as my pocket Panasonic Lumix.

As for grainy images ? Meh...Not one image I have taken is grainy.
Load of ****!I will post a few pics to you if you like, proof is in the pudding.

I have had latest Nokia's, i-phones (which IMO are not worth shouting about) and this HTC makes them all seem... poor!

Last edited by grey_boy; 01 August 2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01 August 2014, 11:18 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

meh biased as you own one, i've used both a lot and the S5 cam is vastly better.
Old 01 August 2014, 11:42 PM
grey_boy
Scooby Regular

Yup! Love it
Old 03 August 2014, 03:38 AM
JDM_333
Scooby Regular

I have a Sony Xperia Z2 coming from an iPhone and I think its awesome, but I do have 2 iPads in our family so I don't lose touch with Apple! Apple if u want quality and Google if u want flexibility.
Old 03 August 2014, 09:11 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_333
I have a Sony Xperia Z2 coming from an iPhone and I think its awesome, but I do have 2 iPads in our family so I don't lose touch with Apple! Apple if u want quality and Google if u want flexibility.
Agree on that, I don't really use any kind of flex on my phone I just need them to work, side loading xbmc onto sony was a pnice one.

JDM qq then, you must have the sony issue then, when using Facebook app videos posted most always crash, does it on my phone z2 and tablet z2, seems it's specific to sony that issue.

As for camera the HTC was known to have one of the best, however sony does 20 meg pixels and uses special settings to get very vibrant colours, my dad's a pro photographer who pro dominantly uses NIKON, but has said that the sony processors and lens nowadays are some of the best there is. Thephone also records on 4k unsure of the others.

My vote would still,be HTC or Z2 , s5s are nice and the waterproof option that the s5 and z2 bring add an element of safety

Sonys do get some nice bloat ware too, I got 6 free films with mine
Old 03 August 2014, 09:45 AM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really i would try for a S5 the S4 isn't particularly good a lot of S3 owners who upgraded to it had lots of issues. I had an S3 before my S5 and it was spot on, never had a problem with it.
really?
dont see much of difference between s4 and s5, waterproof gives me nothing I dont live under water
S3 design plus 720p a lot more visual ,power differences between s4 than s4 vs s5,
Wouldn't touch htc M8 looks like cheap plastic toy, probably my next phone will ne s6 or note4
No one mention nokia ,strange how You can kill a name in short time period
G3 is best at the moment but brand push me off

Last edited by fawor; 03 August 2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03 August 2014, 10:29 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
really?
dont see much of difference between s4 and s5, waterproof gives me nothing I dont live under water
S3 design plus 720p a lot more visual ,power differences between s4 than s4 vs s5,
Wouldn't touch htc M8 looks like cheap plastic toy, probably my next phone will ne s6 or note4
Samsung's are far more plastic fantastic than HTC.
Old 03 August 2014, 05:07 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
really?
Yes really, everything about the S5 is better than the S4, screen, cpu, ram, camera, touchwiz (the biggest issue on the s4) are all better.

What seriously, HTC has better build quality than the Sammy's.

G3 is ok, but the screen isn't as good as the S5's.