Sponsored by:

Dealer Gripe - what would you do.

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2006, 12:47 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealer Gripe - what would you do.

Had Main Subaru Dealer fit PPP to my 03STi in 2003. Car has seemed OK but went to Scoobyclinic last thurs for a remap and thought it wise to check the fuel pump. Surprise, standard pump found, SC fitted me a Walbro and sorted the mapping with great results.

3 years have passed since the Dealer charged me for a fuel pump and didn't fit it and I'm not happy about being ripped off and having my engine put at risk. What chance do you you think I have of getting any satisfaction over this after 3 years. I have all the paperwork and the offending pump.

Cheers, Diccy.
Old 09 August 2006, 12:50 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

If you still have your original reciept for the fuel pump as part of the ppp, i would get scoobyclinic to give you a letter stating it was not fitted to the car and then speak to the dealership. See what they say and if they put up a fuss give the details to trading standards and wouldn't hurt to let the local newspaper know!! Give them a bit of bad press!!
Old 09 August 2006, 12:51 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

My biggest fear. You pay someone for something and they dont do it, un- beknown to me.

I would give em 'ell. I don't know what you'd get other than the price of the Walbro item, if that, as they didn't supply it. The timeframe shouldn't matter, how were you to know it hadn't been fitted.

That's shocking though!
Old 09 August 2006, 12:54 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would CERTAINLY be looking for compensation!!

The letter from ScoobyClinic is vital (as long as you have no connection with them other than on a purely business footing).

Cheeky fooookers!!

They should pay for the new fuel pump AND give compensation!!

Pete
Old 09 August 2006, 12:56 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

My STI is in for ppp next week so hope i don't have the same issue.
I would gather evidence and take it to the manager of the garage and let him tell you what they WILL do about it to compensate you.

Out of interest what do you think of PPP compared to your standard car?

Amongst things, i'm hoping the Prodrive back box sounds better than the standard one.

Nik.
Old 09 August 2006, 01:14 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
My biggest fear. You pay someone for something and they dont do it, un- beknown to me.
This is my biggest fear too. I had PPP fitted to my 05 STI last June, and I have always thought "Have they fitted the fuel pump". The dealer has a bad reputation so I've always wondered

D1CCY. Which dealer was it? Wasn't GMD of Durham was it?
Old 09 August 2006, 01:16 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Wow, that's stirred things up. To answer the points in order:

Rossi,
Yes I have the original receipt (pump was charged at £178.72 inc VAT plus fitting)
I'll have to ask Adam at SC for a letter, Adam sorry in advance if you're reading this.
This Dealer already has a diabolical local reputation but I need to give them a private opportunity to resolve first, if you need to know then PM me. Will save for later if necessary.

Gaz,
Walbro 255 was £150+VAT fitted, on special at SC.

psl,
SC letter as above, you sound as offended as I am.

nik,
PPP (03STi) is much better than standard car (more drivable and torquey), BUT remap is light years better - no kidding, downside is permanent diet of Optimax. To be fair to Prodrive they have to map for any old 97 fuel and be well safe.
When I remapped SC persuaded me to change exhaust middle and rear to their own 3" system for less back pressure. I'd say the PPP BB gives a deep note on the verge of being boomy. The SC BB has a slightly but not a lot louder sound which is offset by a lighter note which personally I prefer.

stilover,
Only way to be sure is to get someone you trust to pull it out which is exactly what I got SC to do for me, I sure feel better for asking as I could have had a disaster although I suspect Pat the mapper would have spotted the under fueling straight away. For ID see my post in General Technical "fuel pump identification".
No it wasn't that dealer and sorry I don't want to name on the forum. If the dealer is reading this he will know it's him from my forum ID.

Thanks, Diccy.

Last edited by D1CCY; 09 August 2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09 August 2006, 01:38 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Default fuel pump

my new Sti will be going for PPP - what do I look for to make sure the correct fuel pump is fitted?

cheers

Mark
Old 09 August 2006, 01:49 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Oh bullucks,

Hi guys, i had PPP fitted to my STI 05 at 1000 miles and asked them to give me the old bits in the boot, i only got the exhaust in there, does the 05 revised model still need the pump aswell?

BTW im at SC on sat so will get them to look (if it should have been changed)

Simon
Old 09 August 2006, 01:54 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Mark,

Ask to see them changing it and get the old pump back, pump is fitted inside the fuel tank so there is no visual check afterwards. With hindsight that's what I should have done. One thing to spot is that the job is safer done outdoors as they expose the top of the tank which would be quite a fire risk in a workshop (SC took it right to the end of their "yard").

Simon,

Funny that's exactly what I got, exhaust and no pump, that's why I always wondered although it would smell so why would you want it put in your boot. Prodrive only list 03 then 06 STi kits so I suppose yours is the same and should include the fuel pump. I suspect SC will be checking everybody's now.

Cheers, Diccy.

Last edited by D1CCY; 09 August 2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09 August 2006, 02:18 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Thanks DICCY,

Any idea how long it takes them to look, im only in for a service and geo and RR

Simon
Old 09 August 2006, 02:26 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

It was in their yard for about 30 mins. Would take the same time to check as to replace as it has to come out to look at it. Suggest you ring up in advance and ask as its a Saturday, hopefully they can oblige.

Cheers, Diccy.
Old 09 August 2006, 03:35 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Thanks D1CCY et al...

Did not realise it was in the tank - therefore a bigger risk that 'they' might not be bothered, since the installation is a 'fixed price' (i.e. minimise the time spent will maximise the profit). I wonder what effect it really has - is it to do with reliability or pressure or something else?

ta

Mark
Old 09 August 2006, 03:55 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Mark,

Original pump may or may not quite deliver enough fuel (marginal) so there is a risk of fuel starvation when flat out - easily cause det and massive engine damage, a major reliability problem. Truth is most of us probably never drive flat out for long enough to cause damage hence I've driven around for 3 years without noticing.

Just a thought to help with identification, my old pump made a light whine when the ignition was turned on, the Walbro 255 that SC fitted manages a slightly deeper growl and doesn't run for so long to pressurise the system before I turn the starter. Might be worth familiarising yourself with the "before" noise. I believe the PPP pump is a disguised Walbro.

This is doing wonders for my post count.

Cheers, Diccy.

Last edited by D1CCY; 09 August 2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09 August 2006, 03:58 PM
sti5vltdnick
Scooby Newbie

If you don't get any joy from the dealer in question, send letters of complaint to Subaru U.K. head office and prodrive and let them deal with the thieving S.O.B. after all, it's their products reputation that is indirectly being tarnished by this sort of dishonest service.
Good Luck.
Old 09 August 2006, 04:01 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markmarkymark
my new Sti will be going for PPP - what do I look for to make sure the correct fuel pump is fitted?

cheers

Mark
Get them to give you the old one.

As a habbit is always ask for the replaced parts back. (Except for oil filters etc). If only for the chance to revert to standard.
Old 09 August 2006, 05:01 PM
PHILYB
Scooby Regular

Who was the Dealer?

Jordans or Welptons?

Regards.
Old 09 August 2006, 05:31 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
This is my biggest fear too. I had PPP fitted to my 05 STI last June, and I have always thought "Have they fitted the fuel pump". The dealer has a bad reputation so I've always wondered

D1CCY. Which dealer was it? Wasn't GMD of Durham was it?

They should stick to Fiats!
Taking my car to SG Petch in Richmond for ppp rather than use those clowns.
Nik.
Old 09 August 2006, 06:48 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by D1CCY
Had Main Subaru Dealer fit PPP to my 03STi in 2003. Car has seemed OK but went to Scoobyclinic last thurs for a remap and thought it wise to check the fuel pump. Surprise, standard pump found, SC fitted me a Walbro and sorted the mapping with great results.

3 years have passed since the Dealer charged me for a fuel pump and didn't fit it and I'm not happy about being ripped off and having my engine put at risk. What chance do you you think I have of getting any satisfaction over this after 3 years. I have all the paperwork and the offending pump.

Cheers, Diccy.
Hope you get a good response from the dealer, if not you could possibly raise it with IM or even Prodrive.

So I tempted you with the remap then? LOL
Old 09 August 2006, 06:54 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

when the ppp kits were first fitted to sti's the pump wasn't part of the kit, subaru then found out it needed it and advised the dealers. i can't remember if it was down to the dealer or subaru to let the customer know.
Old 09 August 2006, 07:04 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by markmarkymark

cheers

Mark
You will hear it m8, the ppp pump is very noisy compared to the std one.
Old 09 August 2006, 07:37 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by D1CCY
Yes I have the original receipt (pump was charged at £178.72 inc VAT plus fitting)
Thanks, Diccy.

Scobyboy you will find that Diccy has been charged for the fuel pump
Old 09 August 2006, 08:37 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx

They should stick to Fiats!
Taking my car to SG Petch in Richmond for ppp rather than use those clowns.
Nik.
Yeah, I use SG Petch for all my servicing/warranty work now. Top blokes down there. If it wasn't a hassle, I'd ask them to check the fuel pump for me when I book it in for it's 6months/5000 miles oil & filter change (late October).

I had a long thread about the utter **** service I got from GMD, when I had the PPP fitted there at it's 1000 miles service (bought the car from them). If I'd known about there reputation, I'd have deffo had the PPP fitted at SG Petch.
Old 09 August 2006, 09:07 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I bought my car from GMD but no way are the fitting the PPP,
wont even let them service it.
Jennings in Boro dont seem much better either.
Hopefully Mark at SG's will see that ppp and rear shockers will all be done hasstle free next week.
Nik.

Originally Posted by stilover
Yeah, I use SG Petch for all my servicing/warranty work now. Top blokes down there. If it wasn't a hassle, I'd ask them to check the fuel pump for me when I book it in for it's 6months/5000 miles oil & filter change (late October).

I had a long thread about the utter **** service I got from GMD, when I had the PPP fitted there at it's 1000 miles service (bought the car from them). If I'd known about there reputation, I'd have deffo had the PPP fitted at SG Petch.
Old 10 August 2006, 07:58 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

philyb yhpm.

dealer is NOT GMD.

Area is Yorkshire, if anyone needs to know I will PM on request. I don't want to publically state who.

Plan is to send letter detailing their mistakes and my claim which will be c£370 (will include not aligning the car after Prodrive springs and not resetting throttle angle after fitting PPP) by recorded delivery in anticipation of documenting case to go to small claims court (I have the time and patience). Copy of letter will be sent to Prodrive as the dealer is damaging their reputation and they need to know the detail. I have all the bills, the as found settings from TSL for the misalignment, and the offending fuel pump.

I expect to be stonewalled to start with until I convince them I,m serious. Will update when things move, may take a while. Thanks for all your support.

Cheers, Diccy.
Old 10 August 2006, 10:16 AM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
I bought my car from GMD but no way are the fitting the PPP,
wont even let them service it.
Jennings in Boro dont seem much better either.
Hopefully Mark at SG's will see that ppp and rear shockers will all be done hasstle free next week.
Nik.
Jennings are top. highly recomend them. I was invited in the work shop to inspect and learn about bits when mine was in.
Old 10 August 2006, 12:44 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

My gripe with Jennings is they didn't get back to me.

Took the car in two and a half weeks ago to have shockers inspected and was told new were required.
They said they will phone me next day to say when to bring the car in which didn't happen. I phoned them back one week later and was told after being on hold for ten mins shockers may be on back order due to short supply, again they said we will phone you back the next day. This didn't happen either and i still havent heard a dicky bird.
Gave up on monday and phoned SG Petch who ordered the parts straight away as plenty were in stock in the factory. Phoned me today to say parts were in (shockers and ppp kit) ready for fitting monday.
Thats what i call service.
Jennings didn't seem interested, hence i now use SG Petch.
Nik.

Originally Posted by C2forWRX
Jennings are top. highly recomend them. I was invited in the work shop to inspect and learn about bits when mine was in.
Old 10 August 2006, 02:00 PM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

Just a small point - how do you know, and can prove, that the pump wasn't fitted by the dealer and then removed by somebody else in the 3 years since the dealer charged you for fitting it?

Whilst it's highly likely that the mechanic at the dealers didn't fit the uprated pump you need to be able to prove it if you start talking about taking them to court.
Old 10 August 2006, 02:32 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Its only been at the offending garage, then another dealership and finally SC.

An interesting challenge but why would anyone do that. I have two other omissive issues that would support my position about how sloppy they are that I will raise at the same time with the dealer.

If it goes to small claims court then its up to the Judge to decide who is truthful. That's why these things end up in court. Time will tell.

Diccy.
Old 10 August 2006, 03:06 PM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

Good luck with it, but if it does go to court the suspect dealer will accuse the other dealership and SC of removing the uprated pump.

Quick Reply: Dealer Gripe - what would you do.