Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 05 December 2003, 08:23   #1
Nate
Orange Club

Trader Score: (2)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.
Question

Can the flue from a balanced flue boiler (which at the moment is coming straight out of the wall), be extended and/or have a 90 degree bend put in it and lengthened ?

Thanks in advance

Nate.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2003, 15:38   #2
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Yes, but there are various rules and regs about how far you can extend it, how many bends, exit point etc. Best thing is to contact the manufacturer and ask them what kits they do for extending the flue - describe what you want to do with rough measurements and they should be able to advise you.

tiggers
tiggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2003, 17:03   #3
Nate
Orange Club

This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.
Thanks Tiggers.

Nate.
Old 05 December 2003, 17:07   #4
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Im certain you cant alter a Balanced flue ,flue.

Are you sure its not a Fanned flue??(RSF),seeing as though its a combi?.Unless its a older combi?.

your best bet it to ring Corgi with the name and model of the boiler.They are there to help.

Dunc
scooby nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2003, 22:36   #5
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Max flue length will be in the spec for the boiler. For every 90 degree bend, the max length is reduced significantly. Also depends on flue orientation. See here for an example.
dr_ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2003, 00:14   #6
Nate
Orange Club

Arrow

The make is Vokera .... Going by that chart, from where the flue exits out of my wall , a 90 degree bend and up about 12" would do it ..... The reason is, I have a flat roof going at about 2" lower than the level of the bottom of where the flue exits the wall. The length of the flue at the moment from the boiler is approx. 3' maximum.

Nate.
Old 07 December 2003, 10:26   #7
Mog
Scooby Regular

Its very unlikely that you will be able to take the flue upwards or along due the final position of the flue terminal, also unless it is a condensing boiler the condense running back into the boiler will rot it very quickly.

Mog
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2003, 22:49   #8
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Nate, should be no problem. This is approximately the same config as my boiler flue. Corrosion no problem as a) burning methane produces H2O and CO2 (assuming complete combustion), neither of which are especially corrosive and b) flue material is generally stainless steel (stuff on my Worcester combi is anyway).

Cheers, Ming.

[Edited by dr_ming - 12/7/2003 10:49:59 PM]
dr_ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 December 2003, 05:17   #9
Mog
Scooby Regular

Flue materials on most boilers including Worcesters are steel for the air duct and aluminium for the flue gas duct both of which can corrode as can the internals of the boiler, this is why the flue ducts of condensing boilers are made of plastic. Taking any flue gas products upwards will produce condensate as the gases loose temperature down to the dew point.

Mog
Old 08 December 2003, 17:32   #10
Nate
Orange Club

Mog,

If I take that into consideration , Whats the worst that will happen. My flue will need replacing in a couple of years time? If so , I can live with changing it when the time comes.

Thanks

Nate.
Old 08 December 2003, 20:49   #11
Mog
Scooby Regular

The worst that can happen is that the internals of the boiler will corrode and cause a problem with the combustion process etc. Also most boiler manufacturers flue systems are designed for internal use only with only the flue terminal exposed to the outside.

Mog
Old 09 December 2003, 18:18   #12
Nate
Orange Club

Mog,

Would you suggest that the best idea would be to raise the flue INSIDE the house, so that the flue comes out higher up (meaning I make a fresh hole through the wall) from where the terminal comes out at the moment ??

Nate.
Old 09 December 2003, 21:01   #13
Mog
Scooby Regular

Now's the time to ring the boiler manufacturer to get advice and then get a Corgi Reg. engineer to do the work if possible.

Mog
Old 09 December 2003, 21:01

Tags
90, 90degree, balanced, bend, bends, boiler, boilers, combi, degree, extending, flue, gas, inbalanced, made, material, put, versus