Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03 February 2005, 13:38   #1
ChrisB

Trader Score: (0)
Default Disconnecting a gas cooker - CORGI Job?

I want to move the stand-alone gas cooker out my kitchen to decorate and get some flooring put down.

I presume it needs a CORGI engineer to disconnect / re-connect?

Chris.
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2005, 13:44   #2
alcazar
Orange Club

Trader Score: (2)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.
Question

OK, I'm not an expert, but I'd say if it has one of those bayonet mount connectors, you can do it, and if not, get a fitter.

If you do end up needing a gas fitter, it might be an idea to have him fit a bayonet mount connector for the next time. The flexible tubes aren't dear, nor is the connector, just his time to pay for, really.

Alcazar
alcazar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2005, 17:07   #3
Mog
Scooby Regular

You will need a CORGI engineer to ensure that when the hose is disconected, the bayonet has shut off 100%.

Mog
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2005, 18:48   #4
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog
You will need a CORGI engineer to ensure that when the hose is disconected, the bayonet has shut off 100%.

Mog
You don't have to have call an engineer - he wouldn't be breaking the law if he didn't.

What's the point of a bayonet fitting if you need to call an engineer out to see if it's closed?
gsm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2005, 19:34   #5
Mog
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm1
You don't have to have call an engineer - he wouldn't be breaking the law if he didn't.

What's the point of a bayonet fitting if you need to call an engineer out to see if it's closed?
Is a householder capable of telling if the O ring seal is intact or that a bit of debris hasn't lodged in the valve as it closed ?????

Mog
Old 03 February 2005, 19:41   #6
mj
Scooby Regular

out of interest, how does a CORGI engineer check?
mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2005, 19:50   #7
zxr750Nick
Scooby Regular

Has the nanny state gone mad...... Turn off at mains, disconnect bayonet and then get a match and turn the gas back on. NOT..........
zxr750Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2005, 20:48   #8
Clart
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
out of interest, how does a CORGI engineer check?

By performing a gas soundness test with a manometer.
Clart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2005, 21:05   #9
mj
Scooby Regular

Quote:
By performing a gas soundness test with a manometer
connected to what? test points that probably don't exist, or are they on the meter?

you mean a drop test?

my money says a mix of fairy liquid & water squirted on the female bayonet will pick up any flaws in the fitting.

total cost - 6p
Old 03 February 2005, 21:33   #10
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
connected to what? test points that probably don't exist, or are they on the meter?

you mean a drop test?

my money says a mix of fairy liquid & water squirted on the female bayonet will pick up any flaws in the fitting.

total cost - 6p
Proper leak detection fluid should be used-Not fairy liquid-it can degrade the rubber in the o ring over time.

Gary
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2005, 21:42   #11
mj
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Proper leak detection fluid should be used-Not fairy liquid-it can degrade the rubber in the o ring over time.
fairy-nuff
Old 03 February 2005, 21:46   #12
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
fairy-nuff
Oh dear,oh dear
Old 03 February 2005, 21:51   #13
RR
Scooby Regular

Its dead easy.
RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2005, 21:56   #14
mj
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Its dead easy.

I know, or is that a play on words on the dangers of quick release domestic gas fittings?
Old 03 February 2005, 22:01   #15
Clart
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj

you mean a drop test?

total cost - 6p

"Drop test" on the test nipple at the meter.

Last edited by Clart; 03 February 2005 at 22:05.
Old 03 February 2005, 22:06   #16
gsm1
Scooby Regular

I'm not being funny but in the few times I've seen Corgi guys do a complete gas install they've never used a manometer to check for leaks.

A mate just had a complete outside meter to kitchen pipe run installed by a BG guy (cash job). The leak was actually in the kitchen but he convinced him that the whole pipe needed replacing. After lecturing him on the possibilities of corroding copper pipes he leaves them all with crap loads of flux dripping down them!
Old 03 February 2005, 22:26   #17
mj
Scooby Regular

I can see why people go for CORGI - it is a mega money spinner.

I need to get some gas pipework tested next week, its a supply to a gas turbine CHP at 6 bar - after about 40 phone calls and every CORGI registered firm within an 80 mile radius I am still no further on in sourcing a company.

Mention 9 bar test pressure and the phone goes quiet - it's not all bad though, one kindly chap said he'd be happy do do it but he would need to go back to training for the correct cert, as long as we paid his training costs 's - funny guy
Old 03 February 2005, 22:33   #18
Clart
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
I can see why people go for CORGI - it is a mega money spinner.

I need to get some gas pipework tested next week, its a supply to a gas turbine CHP at 6 bar - after about 40 phone calls and every CORGI registered firm within an 80 mile radius I am still no further on in sourcing a company.

Mention 9 bar test pressure and the phone goes quiet - it's not all bad though, one kindly chap said he'd be happy do do it but he would need to go back to training for the correct cert, as long as we paid his training costs 's - funny guy

CHP???

What is this?
Old 03 February 2005, 22:44   #19
mj
Scooby Regular

Chopped Ham and Pork.

Old 04 February 2005, 09:16   #20
ChrisB

Blimey - bit of a can of worms!

I'd prefer not to gas myself or my good lady, so I think I'll leave it to a professional...
Old 04 February 2005, 09:40   #21
alcazar
Orange Club

Trader Score: (2)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB
Blimey - bit of a can of worms!

I'd prefer not to gas myself or my good lady, so I think I'll leave it to a professional...
Like the one that came to service my dad's boiler, BG, Corgi registered?

Left the large nut to the main gas valve finger tight, so gas was weeping out, you could HEAR it if you got the front off and down to it!

Luckily, I went round just after he'd left, smelled gas and tightened it!

Alcazar

CORGI: "Come On Ripoff Guys: Invoice!"
alcazar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2005, 09:57   #22
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Gas smells for a reason. If the fitting is leaking then you will smell it.

Gas needs a mixture of approximatly 12% gas to air to ignite and at that level the combustion is fairly sedate.

Just do as above, turn off gas at the mains disconnect cooker and move out of the way. If you are just decorating quickly and can stand to leave the gas turned off then finish the decorating then arrange for a corgi guy to reconect and turn gas back on. I have unplugged and replugged my cooker several times and not had a problem, just don't do it if you have a cold or a blocked up nose!!!!
Nexuas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2005, 10:33   #23
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcazar
Like the one that came to service my dad's boiler, BG, Corgi registered?

Left the large nut to the main gas valve finger tight, so gas was weeping out, you could HEAR it if you got the front off and down to it!

Luckily, I went round just after he'd left, smelled gas and tightened it!

Alcazar

CORGI: "Come On Ripoff Guys: Invoice!"
Corgi guy came to change my meter. I could smell gas but put it down to him having just worked on it. 2 days later - still a smell of gas. Called Transco and the call out engineer finds he's left one of the nuts totally loose.

Yes, there are good Corgi engineers out there but many have just been handed a certificate for nothing and others are more concerned with over doing the work to a standard.

You'll either know if you're competent or not to deal with gas. If not then call an engineer. If you do call an engineer let us know whether he bothers using any kind of test equipment (unprompted of course).
Old 04 February 2005, 10:49   #24
ChrisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexuas

Gas needs a mixture of approximatly 12% gas to air to ignite and at that level the combustion is fairly sedate.

Just do as above, turn off gas at the mains disconnect cooker and move out of the way. If you are just decorating quickly and can stand to leave the gas turned off then finish the decorating then arrange for a corgi guy to reconect and turn gas back on. I have unplugged and replugged my cooker several times and not had a problem, just don't do it if you have a cold or a blocked up nose!!!!
Hmm, good point. The only gas powered thing in my house is the cooker...
Old 04 February 2005, 20:27   #25
Mog
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clart
CHP???

What is this?
Combined Heating and Power
Old 04 February 2005, 20:47   #26
Chip
CYMRU AM BYTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexuas

Natural gas being methane doesnt actually smell. It's the odourant that has the smell in it.

The explosive limit (LEL) of natural gas is 5-15% GIA.

Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2005, 01:02   #27
hades
Scooby Regular

I know of CORGI registered fitters who use fairy liquid, whilst noting what you say about using proper leak detection fluid. Have to admit that I have disconnected and re-connected a fitting myself in an almost identical situation to yours. I did the fairy liquid trick, was a little paranoid and sniffed a lot for a few days. No problems since (waits for explosion from kitchen . . . . . )
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2005, 12:33   #28
ChrisB

Little twist - my oven (the cooker came with my house) has always seem a bit keen when cooking things.

I got an oven thermometer yesterday and tried it out last night.

Gas Mark 1 on the dial equated to GM 5 by temperature. Dial-in GM 5 and the actual temp inside was the far side of GM 9

Me thinks it'll get disconnected and shipped to the tip!
Old 10 February 2005, 09:36   #29
paul w
Supporting Member

Just to add my bit,

Had my corgi guy out last week to do some landlord certs and asked him about the gas pipe that needs installing in my old mans bungalow,i am more than capable of doing the job and he knows that and told me law states i can do it under the condition that i am doing it not 'For gain' if i get any gain out the job then i am breaking the law.

Couple of years ago i had him put a gas pipe in for combi,i cut and bent the pipe and he soldered it,showed him job in next house and he said save yourself 100 quid paul and do it yourself so i did and he tested it when doing landlords cert and all was well.

Corgi tests and standards are there for a reason but come on ffs if you know what your doing do it yourself and most boilers nowadays are room sealed.

Another thing he was going on about was gas cookers,no flue on them and look at the burning power of them,carbon mono is only produced when things go wrong.
paul w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2005, 19:32   #30
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul w
Just to add my bit,

Had my corgi guy out last week to do some landlord certs and asked him about the gas pipe that needs installing in my old mans bungalow,i am more than capable of doing the job and he knows that and told me law states i can do it under the condition that i am doing it not 'For gain' if i get any gain out the job then i am breaking the law.

Couple of years ago i had him put a gas pipe in for combi,i cut and bent the pipe and he soldered it,showed him job in next house and he said save yourself 100 quid paul and do it yourself so i did and he tested it when doing landlords cert and all was well.

Corgi tests and standards are there for a reason but come on ffs if you know what your doing do it yourself
Sorry to be straight to the point-but what a load of bull ****.

Not meant to be aimed at you personally,but this is how "accidents" can happen by not really knowing all the regs/knowledge ect

Its a bit like saying that its ok for me to drive a HGV on a normal car licence as long as theres no "gain" out of it-i could drive a HGV but i wont because its illegal !!!!!!!!!

Last edited by easyrider; 11 February 2005 at 22:29.
Old 11 February 2005, 19:32

Tags
bayonet, certificate, connecting, cooker, corgi, cost, disconnect, disconnecting, drop, fitting, gas, reconnected, shut, standalone, test, valve