Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 25 September 2005, 12:29   #1
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Question Water overflowing from Header Tank in loft...

In the last few weeks I've noticed that the overflow pipe coming from the header tank in the loft is leaking water.
I've looked in the loft and found that the ball **** is not shutting the valve off completly and, thus allowing water to drip. If I pull the float up it stops the dripping. But obviously I can't stand there holding it shut!

Do I need to change the valve or could it be just a seal?

A detailed description of how to change these things would be appreciated.

thanks

Nick

PS - What does the header tank do exactly? Is it for maintaining pressure in the system?
skoobidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2005, 13:02   #2
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

Mine started doing that, no problem I thought, it goes out the pipe, get it fixed sometime shortly... and when I came back from a weekend away, it was flowing too much for the pipe, the float had sunk and water had come over the tank, causing Tesco home insurance to send an assessor round and put me up a new ceiling and put down a new carpet. (My tank is in a bedroom cupboard).

All for the cost of a new ballcock valve and float, about a fiver if I remember right. Was straightforward to do, water off, drain tank a bit, undo old valve, arm and float, small bit of ptfe tape, screw and tighten new one on, get someone else to turn water on slowly, you adjust arm and ball to required level. Drain tank again, fill back up, check, drain, fill, check. Keep an eye on it over next 24 hours, job done.

Last edited by v8voodoo; 25 September 2005 at 13:05. Reason: riddled with typos
v8voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2005, 14:46   #3
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Another possibility is that the float has a leak and has water in it which is preventing it from shutting the valve.

Anyway, I had the same problem. Went for the cheapo "replace the seal" option only to find that the bore that it fitted in must have been worn - so I still had a leak. Ended up replacing the whole valve/arm/float assembly. As v8voodoo says, these things don't cost much so you're as well replacing the lot rather than just the seal.

Also as v8voodoo says, make sure that the hole in the tank that the thing fits through is well sealed.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2005, 15:05   #4
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

you can normally hold the float and bend the arm down slightly, 90% of the time will stop your problem
minted_aye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2005, 17:37   #5
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

How do I drain the tank down then? Turning on the hot tap seems to stop the dripping for a while so I guess the header tank feeds the hot water tank?

Nick
Old 25 September 2005, 20:28   #6
alcazar
Orange Club

Trader Score: (2)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

If there isn't a service valve in line, (like a screwdriver operated valve, or a seperate tap-headed brass valve in the inlet pipe before the tank,) you need to shut off the mains water at the stoptap, then turn on some hot water until the level goes down a bit.

In this part of the world, any probs with the ballcock etc are automatic new valve jobs, the limescale destroys 'em and makes stripping them down almost impossible I just put a new one on each time I have to do it, ( I look after the plumbing in my house, my dad's and his elderly neighbour's).

Alcazar
alcazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2005, 18:16   #7
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to CrisPDuk Send a message via Skype™ to CrisPDuk
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcazar
If there isn't a service valve in line, (like a screwdriver operated valve, or a seperate tap-headed brass valve in the inlet pipe before the tank,) you need to shut off the mains water at the stoptap, then turn on some hot water until the level goes down a bit.

In this part of the world, any probs with the ballcock etc are automatic new valve jobs, the limescale destroys 'em and makes stripping them down almost impossible I just put a new one on each time I have to do it, ( I look after the plumbing in my house, my dad's and his elderly neighbour's).

Alcazar
It's not just your part of the world, stripping them down just ain't cost effective.

Try minted aye's solution first coz it's easy and free If it still doesn't stop the flow, your seal's buggered
CrisPDuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2005, 19:13   #8
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Just bent the arm. I'll let the tank fill up slowly and see if the leak stops! Could'nt be arsed to stay up in the loft holding the valve open til it filled up.
Thanks for the advice, I should know by morning if its cured!

Nick
Old 27 September 2005, 20:11   #9
Mog
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobidude
How do I drain the tank down then? Turning on the hot tap seems to stop the dripping for a while so I guess the header tank feeds the hot water tank?

Nick
Thats a strange observation and may indicate a problem with the coil in the hot water cylinder.

Mog
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2005, 16:00   #10
delbert
Scooby Regular

fixing this is fairly easy.(or should be).. (1) turn off the water supply and boiler turn on the hot water taps and let it drain down..(or if there is a stop valve in the loft going in to the header tank just shut that off and dont do #1) (2) go spend ? on a new ball valve will simply be a case of undoing the one thats on and swapping it for the new one which will come with instructions. i was a apprentice plumber when i was 17 did it for about 1 year and this was the kind of job they would make me do as its striaght forward. hope that helps.
delbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2005, 19:46   #11
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Cool, thanks a lot!
Old 05 October 2005, 19:46

Tags
ball, ballcock, bioler, cambray, changing, dripping, header, leaky, overflowing, replacement, stop, tank, valve, water, wont