Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Rules Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read vBLive
Welcome to ScoobyNet

DIY Household DIY, etc

Old 09 May 2006, 21:59   #1
Albert47
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Default gas bottle to gas barbecue adapter?

The barbecue season is upon us, I have a new gas barbecue that uses propane gas.

The regulator fitted to the barbecue does not fit on the propane bottle.

The propane bottle has a screw thread and the regulator has a clip on connection! does anyone know what adapter i need.

I know you cant see it and havnt given you much to go on. Im thinking that there might be generic adapter i need or maybe someone has had the same problem.

Cheers Adam
Albert47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2006, 22:32   #2
john_s
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to john_s

I htink you'll need a new (propane) regulator.

John.
john_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2006, 23:02   #3
Albert47
Scooby Regular

the barbecue is brand new. Im hoping i dont need a new regulator.

There must be some kind of adapter out there.
Old 10 May 2006, 12:23   #4
alcazar
Orange Club

Trader Score: (2)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

A new regulator isn't dear, a few quid well spent. Clip-on ones can be dangerous.

Look in Yell.com under bottled gas, give them a ring and ask, they tend to sell the bits to make it work too. They'll certainly advise.

Alcazar
alcazar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2006, 14:04   #5
trevsubwrx1
Scooby Regular

Get a screw on one, the clip ons can leak easily, you don't want your first feed going t**s up!
Check here for some ideas.
http://www.crocus.co.uk/?ContentType...6&affiliate=td
trevsubwrx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2006, 17:37   #6
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

The clip on reg on your bbq is designed for use with the proper patio gas bottles which is just propane in a nice green bottle with a clip on valve. Buy a propane reg because the screw ons are safer and the normal propane bottles are cheaper than the patio ones even though its the same gas.
leonpoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2006, 14:55   #7
stevey
Scooby Regular

was thinking this myself today as we have just bought a gas bbq with the clip on valve, but i can get the orange/red bottles from work with the screw type reg but wasnt sure if i could use them
stevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2006, 16:15   #8
Albert47
Scooby Regular

leonpoole,

Hit the nail on the head!

Patio gas is about 5 pounds more expensive than normal propane.

I will buy a propane regulater when i get chance!!

Albert!!!
Old 13 June 2006, 12:23   #9
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert47
leonpoole,

Hit the nail on the head!

Patio gas is about 5 pounds more expensive than normal propane.

I will buy a propane regulater when i get chance!!

Albert!!!
Get a 19kg from a Calor Centre and they'll supply a regulator as well but you won't get the contents gauge that are supplied with Patio Gas.
Flatcapdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2006, 20:16   #10
ALi-B

Clip on propane regulators are usually for Calor gas. Fine, if you want to chuck out 50 for a contract which gets 0 refund after 4yrs, and doesn't include the gas either

You've done the right thing and gone for shell propane gas (screw on ) which need no contract, just grab a bottle and pay for the gas thats in it. Screw on regulators are 5 if that, normally sold at gas bottle depots (BOC, Flo-gas etc etc). May want to buy a regulator spanner while your there....remember - it's a reverse thread!!

It's possible that the BBQ can run on Butane, but you need to check the instructions. Again, just buy the correct regulator. If it's a large BBQ, it may not be happy on Butane and it'll keep freezing - especially when it nears empty.

Our patio heater came with a clip on propane regulator. Went to our local gas bottle depot with regulator in hand to get the right bottle. Bloke said chuck the regulator in the bin as I'd struggle finding the bottles to fit it, and they cost more money anyway. He was right

Last edited by ALi-B; 13 June 2006 at 20:22.
ALi-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2006, 16:26   #11
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALi-B
Clip on propane regulators are usually for Calor gas. Fine, if you want to chuck out 50 for a contract which gets 0 refund after 4yrs, and doesn't include the gas either

You've done the right thing and gone for shell propane gas (screw on ) which need no contract, just grab a bottle and pay for the gas thats in it. Screw on regulators are 5 if that, normally sold at gas bottle depots (BOC, Flo-gas etc etc). May want to buy a regulator spanner while your there....remember - it's a reverse thread!!

It's possible that the BBQ can run on Butane, but you need to check the instructions. Again, just buy the correct regulator. If it's a large BBQ, it may not be happy on Butane and it'll keep freezing - especially when it nears empty.

Our patio heater came with a clip on propane regulator. Went to our local gas bottle depot with regulator in hand to get the right bottle. Bloke said chuck the regulator in the bin as I'd struggle finding the bottles to fit it, and they cost more money anyway. He was right
Ali, first of all the cylinder refill agreement is 24.99 not the 50.00 you stated. Shell, Flogas et al will try and get an agreement out of you but they are less transparent than Calor and it's difficult to see what their contractual requirements are. It's also unlikely that modern barbies will operate on Butane, simply because the KW ratings are generally too high and Butan cannot provide the offtake, let alone freeze up. Lastly, I'm not sure what the bloke was on about because if he's referring to Calor then given that Calor's cylinder population is four times larger than the nearest competitor, Flogas I'd say that an end user is more likely to find a Calor cylinder than any of the smaller companies such as Shell or Flogas.

In fact, thinking about it you cannot tell whether it's a Calor or Shell cylinder simply by the fac that it's a screw on as it could be any number of Calor cylinders that utilise that ACME thread.
Old 14 June 2006, 18:07   #12
ALi-B

Quote:
Ali, first of all the cylinder refill agreement is 24.99 not the 50.00 you stated.
Do you want me to dig out the contract I had for a 7kg bottle of Butane? I can assure it was hell of alot more that 25, perhaps I was ripped off. (B&Q - say no more - lesson learnt! )

Quote:
Shell, Flogas et al will try and get an agreement out of you but they are less transparent than Calor and it's difficult to see what their contractual requirements are.
Pickup a bottle, no forms, no faffing about signing stuff, just a one off 15 standing fee for the bottle (11kg).

Quote:
It's also unlikely that modern barbies will operate on Butane, simply because the KW ratings are generally too high and Butan cannot provide the offtake
I already mentioned that in my previous post

Quote:
Lastly, I'm not sure what the bloke was on about because if he's referring to Calor then given that Calor's cylinder population is four times larger than the nearest competitor, Flogas I'd say that an end user is more likely to find a Calor cylinder than any of the smaller companies such as Shell or Flogas.
He meant "patio gas" with the 27mm clip on Propane regulator, not shell vs calor . Bear in mind this was 2 years ago, the only place "patio gas" that was widely obtainable was the likes of B&Q - except weekends as they would run out I went to over 6 different gas retailers, hardware stores and caravan shops to get a cylinder to fit the 27mm propane regulator I had before being told to bin it. But it's still a valid viewpoint as 27mm clip on bottles cost more per KG of gas than their screw-on counterparts for both calor or shell bottles. Ok you won't be able to use that fancy regulator with a gauge with screw on bottles. BUt the sakes of availability and cost, it's the better option
Old 14 June 2006, 18:46   #13
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Ali,

trust me the Cylinder Refill Authority is 24.99. As I said and you appear to now agree, Flogas and Shell will both try to get a deposit and/or contract out of you which didn't come across in your first post.

My point about Butane is that it won't provide sufficient offtake, so you're unlikely to even get any gas out of it let alone see any frosting on the cylinder!

Your point about the relative cylinder costs is valid, however we are talking about the domestic market (patio gas and alfresco products) versus the commercial market (dumpies, 19kgs etc) which have different requirements and associated costs, hence the difference in the cost of gas.

Personally, I'd leave it there if I were you otherwise I will outbore you and become increasingly **** about a subject that rules my working life.

Old 14 June 2006, 21:38   #14
ALi-B

My BBQ runs off Butane, but then, being 6kw, that is perfectly fine, as it's within the offtake limits of a 13kg cylinder. Without knowing the size of a BBQ nobody can say it's not suitable. Thus - check instructions

I also have mini table top heater that came with a propane reg. But it can happily run off a little 4.5kg butane bottle. Just handy to know what it can or cannot run on - keeps more options open

Not sure why I mentioned Shell now , I know at one point it was mainly Calor that did the patio gas, or, at least only their outlets were stocking it. Thus a choice of Calor patio gas, or normal gas from any gas supplier (including Calor).

I'm certain I paid well over 40 nigh on 50 for a cylinder at B&Q. The bitter memory is engrained on my memory. As on that day (sunday - no choice and wanted a BBQ there and then ) After spending 30mins faffing in a customer services queue and then waiting even more for somebody to fetch a cylinder. Then, at a later date in general conversation with a smartarse, I found out I could have paid 15 deposit for the same cylinder and also a little less in the actual gas.

If only I have the contract handy....the till and credit card reciept is stapled to it. Unless excess Guinness has sent me into premature senality, I'm certain of the cost. So I'll take you up on that offer and stop here to get off, as without proof I'm not going to get anywhere on this one. But as a compromise, I'll lay off Calor and just solely blame B&Q...fair?

Anyway enough of this. Time for some boring nitter natter . Flatcap, you might remember me asking about converting KW/h to KG/h for a boiler? Well, it ties in with my experience with offtake of Butane. As, at the time, I had an amusing encounter with an English plumber (ex corgi ) working in Spain, who did not know the difference between butane and propane. Consequently several 13kg cylinders were hooked up to a 30kw combi boiler (via a dubious home made manifold - another story). Suffice to say, it worked for 30mins before loosing its power.

Funny looking back, although it was me who ended up with the cold shower in the midst of winter.

Then when the offtake problem was resolved (swapping to Propane and fitting a proper change-over manifold ), the boiler, now running at full capacity would scald anybody who touched the hot tap regardless of temp settings. As the same feejitt plumber messed up the gas valve settings too. I'd better stop as listing the rest of his **** ups will probably exceed the word limit

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 June 2006 at 21:43.
Old 14 June 2006, 22:16   #15
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

I find it hard to belive an ex corgi plumber didn't know the difference between butane and propane
Old 14 June 2006, 22:35   #16
ALi-B

I know LOL, admittely to an average joe they lookalike (both orange, except propane has a black stripe) and both have identical regulator fittings. But you'd think a plumber working over there would know that.

But that, combined with his list of other ****-ups, doesn't suprise me one bit. It was like he'd never fitted a combi boiler before
Old 15 June 2006, 16:07   #17
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Old 30 September 2010, 15:29   #18
theshedman
Scooby Newbie

Hi everyone, just been looking at the answers given here and am wondering if I could use a bigger propane tank on my new BBQ. Got Butane tank at the moment but new BBQ says use only propane. The BBQ says to use a tank up to 13kg but I have just been offered a bigger tank, I think about 19kg. The new one has a clip on regulator and the tank I have been offered has a screw on one. The BBQ is a 3 burner 15kw one. Any advice greatfully received. Thanks Shed.
theshedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2010, 19:06   #19
alcazar
Orange Club

This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

Again, go to the local propane/butane dealer, show them what you have and ask for their advice. They are the experts. Doesn't pay to muck about with gas, even outside.

alcazar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2010, 12:38   #20
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Random first post on a thread from 2006
Coffin Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2010, 13:40   #21
theshedman
Scooby Newbie

Hi, I was looking at Propane as I have just been given a tank for my new BBQ and it is bigger than the one stated in the book, so was wondering if I would be able to use it or not. These old threads do come up if the right question is put into google. Always worth a try to see if an answer comes from them. Thanks for the replies anyway. Shed.
theshedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2010, 13:40

Tags
adapter, adapters, adaptors, bbq, bottle, bottles, connection, difference, gas, nozzle, patio, propane, refills, screwgate, shell, uk, usa