Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 20 October 2007, 16:28   #1
hamyam
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Default AEG Lavamat washing machine drum bearing help

Hi i have a 3 year old AEG lavamat washing machine which is rumbling quite badly from the drum when it spins, does anyone know how hard it is to change the bearing .
hamyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2007, 17:27   #2
hamyam
Scooby Regular

think the bearing or bearings are in a spider ,not positive, would it be easier if they are? Model is 76689
Old 21 October 2007, 15:22   #3
B0DSKI
BrCarDetailing

Trader Score: (17)
https://www.facebook.com/Boyd%20Rees#!/B0DSKI STiPPP
Send a message via AIM to B0DSKI Send a message via MSN to B0DSKI
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

Not an easy job M8 some of the AEG's come as the back half of the drum complete with the drum support and both bearings in place. If not then it's still a drum out job, then it's a matter of getting the drum support off of the back of the inner drum and then getting the bearings out. Without a bearing puller it's usually easier to knock them out with a hammer and a chissel or drift.

Ditch it and buy a Miele instead
Old 22 October 2007, 18:59   #4
hamyam
Scooby Regular

Would buy a new one but the moneys a bit tight at the mo. Is there a proper way to take the drum out? I have disconnected all the pipes and wires so all thatís left are two shock absorbers on the bottom and two massive springs at the top of the drum. Any idea what to release first? Any help be great.
Old 22 October 2007, 20:30   #5
ticky
Scooby Senior

This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

Get me the pnc (product number) & I will see if you can buy the bearing on its own. Hopefully if I remember I will ask one of the engineers how or if the bearing can be changed on it own.

Ticky
ticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2007, 20:33   #6
hamyam
Scooby Regular

Thanks ticky its a lavamat 76689
Old 22 October 2007, 21:12   #7
ticky
Scooby Senior

That's the model no. above & not the pnc number (product no.)

It usually starts with a 9.
If you look at the rating plate (which is sticky label) Should also hold/show model number, serial number & the product number. You should find the label once you open the door & look on the cab by the drum rubber seal. Otherwise it should be on the back of the machine.

The product number will help me find the exact part bearing.
There is a risk of variation in just the model number.

Ticky
Old 22 October 2007, 21:37   #8
hamyam
Scooby Regular

here you go i think lol 914 002 454 00
Old 22 October 2007, 22:14   #9
ticky
Scooby Senior

I will punch in the number tommorrow at work & see what it comes up with.
Old 22 October 2007, 22:18   #10
hamyam
Scooby Regular

thanks ,i know everyone says throw it away and get a new one but at the mo i need to save my money as redundancy is looming. Be good if you can get some tips on how to get the drum out and what seals ill need to replace , thanks again thanks for your help
Old 23 October 2007, 11:36   #11
B0DSKI
BrCarDetailing

Cheers Ticky, saved me a job :-)
Old 23 October 2007, 18:43   #12
ticky
Scooby Senior

Bearing kit G20/16 Part No. 407134869/4 = 26.53 pounds.

Now the parts order diagrams gives a picture of the inner components. The only problem is that its not very clear on whether or not the rear drum bearing section actually comes with the bearing kit mentioned above.
Now the rear drum cost around 127.00 pounds, please note all prices need to have vat added. These are the retail prices.

Also the spindle (spyder pully)this is where the belt is fitted to can be purchased separately but with the rear drum cost about 157pounds.

But the main problem is that you need to strip the machine down & split the rear drum section to remove the bearing. My engineers tell me that is not an easy job to remove the bearing & if you even get a small scratch on the new bearing (inner ball race) then say good bye to your machine again. Like wise with the bearing seal, ifs that not seated correctly or damaged during assembly then it will let water seep through & eventually speed up the process of wearing the new bearing out.

My own thoughts are that if you have let the machine run for some time with the damaged bearing that would also damage the spindle. So that will need replacing as well. You may as well strip it down & see if there is any play in the spindle to bearing.

By all means have a go at it, bearing kit should cost under 30 pounds. If it fails again then its time for a new machine. Ideally a new spindle & rear drum section complete with already fitted bearing & seal would be great but its not cheap & not worth it.

Try other suppliers for parts etc. Sometimes the retail prices are cheaper than what I have quoted.

Ticky
Old 25 October 2007, 18:14   #13
hamyam
Scooby Regular

thanks for your help ticky ,i striped it down and it needs a new spider and bearing kit My local centre said they cant get hold of a spider for at least a week and as the washing is mounting up i have bitten the bullet and brought a miele as ive been told they last well.
Old 27 October 2007, 19:35   #14
B0DSKI
BrCarDetailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamyam View Post
thanks for your help ticky ,i striped it down and it needs a new spider and bearing kit My local centre said they cant get hold of a spider for at least a week and as the washing is mounting up i have bitten the bullet and brought a miele as ive been told they last well.
Good choice Ham. Hope u got the free 5 or 10 Year guarantee as well
Old 29 October 2007, 13:51   #15
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Interestingly......
I ditched a 3 year old AEG washing machine last year, which had a main bearing failure and was "not economical to repair"

I also bought an Meile, and it is in a class of its own.
ShyTot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2007, 23:40   #16
FLAT ERIC
Ex-Stealth Wagon Pilot

Trader Score: (1)
Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Hmm I wonder what it is with these Meile's?

Mark
FLAT ERIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2007, 13:55   #17
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Some snippets that I read last year about Miele machines that makes them quite unique: -

The machines are built around heavy a metal frame; they do not carry a lump of concrete for ballast like most (all?) other machines do.

They have a Stainless Steel outer drum which is expected to last for 20+ years. Most machines have a plastic outer drum which eventually breaks, or a steel one, which eventually rusts and leaks

As already said, most of them carry a 10 year warranty!!!

Their main drum bearings are made to the same specification as a car wheel bearing.

My comments: -

The door opens with an absolutely fantastic "CLICK" :-)

They are almost silent in operation. I have stood in my kitchen several times thinking "where is that water leaking from? - Oh the washing machine is on"

They dont shake themselves accross the floor.
ShyTot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2007, 09:32   #18
B0DSKI
BrCarDetailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC View Post
Hmm I wonder what it is with these Meile's?

Mark
LOL Not that you'd know mark hey
Old 03 November 2007, 09:32

Tags
6205, aeg, ball, bearing, bearings, change, diagram, drum, engine, lavamat, machine, puller, rear, replace, spider, washer, washing