Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 17 January 2008, 15:21   #1
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Trader Score: (0)
Default Garage Build - Room on top....

Have a 90's built garage, thinking of building above it to make a store/room office type room.

The roof could be reused, would just need bricks, windows, doors, joists, flooring, wiring, plumbing, etc.

Would the foundations be alright, as it's a new build... or would it need extra?

Also the garage walls are pillars with single brick panels, would these have to be upgraded?

Thoughts/advice appreciated
DCI Gene Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2008, 15:33   #2
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Haven't a clue, but my mate had a bedroom above the garage in his 1970s build house, they said it was always the coldest room in the house. Food for thought?
Brendan Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2008, 16:22   #3
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes View Post
Haven't a clue, but my mate had a bedroom above the garage in his 1970s build house, they said it was always the coldest room in the house. Food for thought?
Good point, thanks Brendan.

It would be a pig to heat if I 'used' the space in the winter I suppose.... hmmm, hadn't thought of that. But still a usable storage space I guess!
Old 17 January 2008, 22:17   #4
richardg
Scooby Regular

a 90's built garaghe is likely to have been designed with the correct floor loadings to enable the later addition of another floor. thank the building regulations for that

as it's a 90's house (and therefore probably the usual 90's density if you're in an urban or suburban location) your most likely issues are likely to be related to overlooking and proximity to existing habitable rooms (ie being so keen to perve through your neighbouurs' windows that you're willing to build a whole new floor just for that sole purpose!)

can't answer the piers (pillars) question - although the issue is how the weight of the floor is transferred onto the slab - outrigged pads with steel uprights may be a more suitable solution strucutrally, but will be expensive.

brendan - i have a bedroom above my garage and it's the warmest room in the house. probably because it's the best insulated room in nthe house as it's the newest room in the house...plus my garage is heated so my little car doesn't get too cold (oh, and something to do with the beer fridge not working if the garage gets too cold). heat retention is a valid point though - i think you lose almost 25% of your heat through a poorly insulated floor (that's from memory, so could be completely wrong) - insulation is the key!
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2008, 08:30   #5
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Thanks Richard, that's given me a few avenues to explore now, and for the record my neighbours not that nice, but who knows, she may move one day and her replacement may be worth perving at

I'll definitely keep moving this forward now, but I'm glad I asked before potentially wasting a few quid on something that wasn't possible/practicable!

Cheers, DCI
Old 18 January 2008, 10:33   #6
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

We did the same thing in a house built in 1990. Building control didn't make us check the foundations as they said that the original specs would have to have allowed for a second storey. All in, the materials were 5k and labour was 9k. We had to get the garage ceiling reboarded with a double skin of fire retardant plasterboard, then got the builders to put in 9" joists and do a full dept of insulation. Never had a problem with it being cold
fast bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2008, 10:33

Tags
add, adding, additions, attached, build, building, cost, garage, garrage, issues, photos, room, rooms, top, warmest