Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03 February 2008, 18:53   #1
wheelwright
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Question Gas Fire Replacement..... COST ?

To replace a outset gas fire in living room for another outset gas fire ! (mrs wants a change)

Would require new pipe from gas tap to fire(.5 metre run) and all the necessary checks carrying out.

Just want a rough guide before i get someone in so i know they aint ripping me off!!

Cheers WW

Last edited by wheelwright; 03 February 2008 at 19:09.
wheelwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2008, 19:03   #2
C_B_B
Scooby Regular

I had a new pipe run in the kitchen for a gas hob. I was just a T from an existing pipe. I lifted the floor and from memory supplied the pipe and i think the cost was in the region of 40.

For fires i'd look on screwfix for a rough idea of cost.
C_B_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2008, 19:57   #3
wheelwright
Scooby Regular

C_B_B, something tells me it gonna cost a lot more than 40 quid to connect a new fire......

From what i have been told the gas fitter has to register the appliance/work and check all
other gas apppliances before he can sign the job off as safe, as its all
something to do with the HIPs but, this is only what i have heard but im sure
someone on here can shed a bit more light on this.
wheelwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2008, 18:29   #4
C_B_B
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelwright View Post
C_B_B, something tells me it gonna cost a lot more than 40 quid to connect a new fire......

From what i have been told the gas fitter has to register the appliance/work and check all
other gas apppliances before he can sign the job off as safe, as its all
something to do with the HIPs but, this is only what i have heard but im sure
someone on here can shed a bit more light on this.
It is true i got the work done at a very good price.
C_B_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2008, 20:57   #5
jowl
Scooby Regular

We've just had a new inset gas fire (removing and 'outset')and paid something like 230 for 'standard' fitting charge. We had 2 quotes - one from a person we have known for years and one from a new compnay - they were both similar.

However, the 'standard fit' covered knocking out the hole in the wall - which was previously only 2 'letterbox' openings, extending and hiding in the wall/concrete floor the gas pipe, fitting the fire and surround and making good any localised damage.

Oh, and the company was Blazes - we were very pleased with their work.
jowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2008, 20:57

Tags
connect, cost, costs, diy, fire, fires, fitting, gas, hole, letterbox, reconnect, replace, uk, uninstalling, wall