Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 06 February 2008, 11:04   #1
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Default Heating only comes on with hot water - why?

Chaps

At the risk of sounding like an exam question, two days ago our system worked fine with the heating and hot water coming on in the morning and evening. Then, when we boosted the heating during the day, the boiler did not fire up. Checked the thermostat and increased that to ensure the boiler would do (as we have done hundreds of time in the past) and nothing happened. But then, when boosting the hot water, the boiler fires up, and the heating kicks in (as in after 10 mins the rads start to get warm).

So for some reason, the boost button or the unit is not sending the call for heat - but when the boiler is fired through the hot water request, the heating seems to work fine.

Thus we have heat and hot water, but the heating is only working when the hot water is activated. Any ideas? I assume it's something in the programmer (Drayton Tempus 7) since this provides the control, but anyone any other ideas?

Thanks

Andy
mightyyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2008, 16:45   #2
zip106
Scooby Regular

I'm no plumber but a similar thing happened to ours a few weeks ago.
I think it may have something to do with a return valve sticking.

I'm sure some plumbs will be along shortly to put me right!
zip106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2008, 21:32   #3
knuckles
Scooby Newbie

Sounds like it might be a motorised valve sticking or not opening fully. Sometimes located in the airing cupboard near the central heating pump.
Depending on your system you may have one valve or possibly two.
If you have two, one controls your HW the other your CH. You can test each by turning up and down the room thermostat for the heating and the cylinder stat for the HW.Each valve should be heard opening and shutting as you operate the thermostats. If you have one valve it will have three pipes coming out of it. This will divert the water around the heating or the hot water, or both at the same time. Again test by urning up Thermostats one at a time.
knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2008, 22:48   #4
l33 griff
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (4)

sound like its got a three port valve playing up,
l33 griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2008, 22:54   #5
zip106
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by l33 griff View Post
sound like its got a three port valve playing up,
That's it.
That's the one my plumber replaced.
zip106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2008, 08:46   #6
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps - believe we have two twin port valves though, although given the house is only 5 years old, they are different makes. One is the silver Honeywell box that I have seen many times before with the metal lever sticking out of the top, the other is a Drayton white box. Both are just in line of a pipe, so I assume both are twin port's only. I think the Honeywell one is for the hot water as the flow from this goes straight into the bottom of the Megaflo, and the white box is right over the back of the airing cupboard.

We shall see....
mightyyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2008, 19:52   #7
Mog
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyyid View Post
Thanks chaps - believe we have two twin port valves though, although given the house is only 5 years old, they are different makes. One is the silver Honeywell box that I have seen many times before with the metal lever sticking out of the top, the other is a Drayton white box. Both are just in line of a pipe, so I assume both are twin port's only. I think the Honeywell one is for the hot water as the flow from this goes straight into the bottom of the Megaflo, and the white box is right over the back of the airing cupboard.

We shall see....
I had already sent you a PM when I saw this thread, it sounds like the heating valve is stuck open but the micro switch is duff and so not switching the boiler, the rads heat up because the hot water comes on and the heating valve is already open if that makes sense.

Mog
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2008, 19:39   #8
Alan-G
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip106 View Post
That's it.
That's the one my plumber replaced.
We had a three port in our last house and the local plumber advised giving it a mild tap with a mallet. (hopefully to release the sticky valve)

It actually worked.
Alan-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2008, 19:39

Tags
3306b, central, coming, drayton, heat, heating, hot, htwater, ideas, tempus, water, waterer, work, working, works