Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Off Topic > DIY
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DIY Household DIY, etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03 March 2010, 18:58   #1
alcazar
Orange Club

Trader Score: (2)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.
Default Fitting a Surrey flange.

I think I need on on my hot water tank. These days when the cold water is so cold, we seem to be experiencing air bubbles in the hot tank which effectively shut down the pump.

Wickes used to do one, but no longer do.

Are there differences in quality? My hot water supply does not go staright up out of the tank, but immediately across at 90 degrees, then upwards. Will this make a difference?

Gravity heated hot water, pumped c/h.

TIA.

alcazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2010, 19:12   #2
yellowvanman
Intolerant of Idiots

Trader Score: (0)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcazar View Post
I think I need on on my hot water tank. These days when the cold water is so cold, we seem to be experiencing air bubbles in the hot tank which effectively shut down the pump.

Wickes used to do one, but no longer do.

Are there differences in quality? My hot water supply does not go staright up out of the tank, but immediately across at 90 degrees, then upwards. Will this make a difference?

Gravity heated hot water, pumped c/h.

TIA.
Slurry flanges are readily available at all plumbers merchants. the flange separates the supply to the pump and general hot water, so the layout remaining hot feed will not effect it.

Personally I prefer to fit an essex flange, as this completely separates the pump feed, but can be a bit daunting to fit as it involve starret cutting a hole in the side of the tank.
yellowvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2010, 20:41   #3
alcazar
Orange Club

Thanks, I'd seen that on the net, think I'll pass on that. Just my luck to destroy the tank and have to replumb the lot

So are there different grades of Surrey? Or is one pretty much the same as another? They seem to range from 19 to 38.

Old 03 March 2010, 20:46   #4
Myles
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (40)

How can there not have been even one funny comment about the Surrey Flange?
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2010, 06:49   #5
alcazar
Orange Club

Because we are serious plumbers in here

Old 04 March 2010, 09:28   #6
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
How can there not have been even one funny comment about the Surrey Flange?
Never mind Essex Flange, we all know about that
Coffin Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2010, 15:11   #7
yellowvanman
Intolerant of Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcazar View Post
Thanks, I'd seen that on the net, think I'll pass on that. Just my luck to destroy the tank and have to replumb the lot

So are there different grades of Surrey? Or is one pretty much the same as another? They seem to range from 19 to 38.
Lol, yes it's a bit daunting!

We mainly supply Salamander Shower pumps, and use their slurry flange if necessary.
Salamander S Flange

Screwfix do them for about 25.
yellowvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2010, 22:18   #8
Scooby Senior

manchestergas manchestergasco Adam_500

Surrey will be easier, but you will need to raise the hot supply/expansion tee up a little, a lot less daunting then cutting a hole in the side of the cylinder
500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2010, 22:18

Tags
fit, fitting, flange, flanges, information, picture, pump, salamander, slurry, surrey, surreyflange, surry, trader, wickes, work