Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Rules Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read vBLive
Welcome to ScoobyNet

DIY Household DIY, etc

Old 27 October 2011, 13:49   #1
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Question Glue for freezer drawer repair...

The missus has managed to break a plastic flap that goes over the top of the bottom drawer on our fridge/freezer. Hard to explain what the actual bit looks like but that's not really relevant.

It's made of a clear perspex like plastic, maybe polycarbonate. What would be the best stuff to glue it back together? Bit of Googling suggests that plumbers solvent welding stuff may do the job if its perspex?

Don't want to use Super Glue as I've only ever found it any good for gluing together skin and leaves a white residue on plastic.

Stupid bint, it's less than a year old that fridge freezer and was sodding expensive (Panasonic American type) They do sell spares but I don't really want to shell out for the whole drawer assembly if I can do a decent job repairing it. She'll probably just break it again anyway.
Coffin Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2011, 14:40   #2
Bob99
Scooby Regular

I fixed one a few weeks ago, try this stuff http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255230
Bob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 11:11   #3
Scooby Senior

manchestergas manchestergasco Adam_500
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

Araldite?
500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 11:59   #4
john_s
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to john_s

I'd be tempted to try some solvent cement. Some plastics can be relucatant to be glued.
john_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 22:03   #5
alcazar
Orange Club

Trader Score: (2)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

Freezer plastics are VERY hard to glue, due to lower temperatures making them brittle and the instant condensation on them as soon as the door is opened.

Could you put a piece of plastic sheet BEHIND it and use nylon nuts and bolts drilled through both bits?

alcazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 22:03

Tags
door, draw, drawer, fix, freezer, freezers, frezzer, glue, good, kind, plastic, repair, repairing, super, work