Double Din DVD Setups

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2006, 07:36 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Din DVD Setups

Hi Guys,

Disappointed (understatement) at the Std headunit/speaker combination in my new 06 Blobeye and want to upgrade... need some tips/advice if you dont mind.

Im looking for a Double Din setup (hate blanker plates) and preferably a DVD player. All i know of right know is the Kenwood range, do anyone else do them? (except the £200 ebay jobs, want decent quality) (what is the best model number in the Kenwood range? looking for sub £700 mark if poss)

Secondly, speakers... not really interested (or skilled enough) to cut my doors around and make new holes etc... so i would like some OEM replacements that will compliment the above unit nicely.

Thirdly, considering a active sub (seem good for the money and wont take mass of bootspace).. whats your thoughts on this?

I wanna keep the price down as much as i can, and i wanna avoid cutting/modding the car if i can. Not looking for a competition machine... just something that i can turn up and cruise with an even bigger smile than i got now with my scoob.

Anyone got any pictures of similar?..

Tnx in advance for your help.
Old 28 June 2006, 07:56 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kenwood DDX-6029, £600 all fitted.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=521898
Old 29 June 2006, 09:20 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/index.php?cPath=796

There's a few there, Alpine & JVC as well as Kenwood.
Old 29 June 2006, 11:11 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

kenwood DDX6029 here as well - nice bit of kit let down only by the crappy user interface (slightly nicer looking on the much more expensive DDX8027). Can be picked up for around the £500 mark now on ebay - also very upgradeable, can add sat nav, TMC, DSP 5.1, and a new bluetooth module due very soon..

Could also look for used DDX7025 which was the original, replaced by the DDX6027 but tbh the 6029 is the better bit of kit, cleaner looking without so many buttons.

The all look *very* oem though especially on My05 + cars on as the trim is a perfect match

Last edited by Bartop; 29 June 2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01 July 2006, 08:50 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Does the facia come off these units?
Old 02 July 2006, 01:09 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope.
Old 03 July 2006, 03:09 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

How easy is it to fit these?
I've done it before in different cars but they've always had radio keys etc, then it was just a simple matter of plugging in the ISO connector.
Old 03 July 2006, 08:41 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

POP mate - need a subaru>iso adaptor, aerial adaptor and a screwdriver..
Old 04 July 2006, 09:52 AM
ScoobyRich_n_Em
Scooby Newbie

I've always been quite tempted with one of these units, but what security do they have?

I've had 2 cars broken into for the stereo's, both being taken forcefully damaging not only the window but the dash surround, cabling etc.

If they're not face off units then what's to stop people taking them?
Old 04 July 2006, 10:04 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

They are screwed into the cage behind the console - tbh if someone wanted to nick it all they would need to do is undo the fascia (or smash it off) and undo the screws..
Old 05 July 2006, 12:38 PM
gazzared_typer
Scooby Regular

Another option, but then I'm biased

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showpost....34&postcount=8
Old 08 July 2006, 01:20 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

Just fitted a JVC head unit in my bugeye from caraudiodirect. Plays MP3, WMA, DVD and has USB and IPOD connectors. Got this for £220 + £10 for ISO connector. Bought a flip up monitor off Ebay for £130 inc postage and fitted that above the head unit. Sound now great and vids keep the kids quiet.

Follow advice in this section. Very easy if you do (I did). I tapped into the stereo cables to power the monitor. This was also easy as the cables are colour doded.

Neil
Old 11 July 2006, 09:52 AM
Tosty
Scooby Newbie

Hi all,

Almost my first post!

Just installed a Kenwood DDX6029 + kna-g520 sat nav unit. Very nice setup and thoroughly recommended. Managed to mount the g520 behind the ashtray, nice and flat on the box above the transmission tunnel. The only wire visible is the 1 inch coming out behind the clock unit going to the gps antenna.

This would have been my first post except for the problem of blowing a fuse (see "major crisis" post in Lighting and other electrical forum). Anyway this blew because I was trying to find out what the brown/yellow wire did which is on the plug attached to the green/yellow speed sensor wire on the head unit loom (MY06).

Suspected it might be a reverse detection wire, so turned car power on, tested the brown/yellow wire with the multimeter connected to the ground wire then engaged reverse. In hindsight this obviously blew the fuse, but didn't see any voltage on the multimeter. So, as the blown fuse was the reverse fuse (according to the manual), is this wire connected to reverse? And is it possible to use it? Don't feel confident attaching it to my new toy just yet! Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Tosty.
Old 11 July 2006, 02:10 PM
Pimpster
Scooby Newbie

and there just so happens to be a top of the range kenwood for sale...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=528101
Old 11 July 2006, 09:53 PM
Slap Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tosty
Hi all,

Almost my first post!

Just installed a Kenwood DDX6029 + kna-g520 sat nav unit. Very nice setup and thoroughly recommended. Managed to mount the g520 behind the ashtray, nice and flat on the box above the transmission tunnel. The only wire visible is the 1 inch coming out behind the clock unit going to the gps antenna.

This would have been my first post except for the problem of blowing a fuse (see "major crisis" post in Lighting and other electrical forum). Anyway this blew because I was trying to find out what the brown/yellow wire did which is on the plug attached to the green/yellow speed sensor wire on the head unit loom (MY06).

Suspected it might be a reverse detection wire, so turned car power on, tested the brown/yellow wire with the multimeter connected to the ground wire then engaged reverse. In hindsight this obviously blew the fuse, but didn't see any voltage on the multimeter. So, as the blown fuse was the reverse fuse (according to the manual), is this wire connected to reverse? And is it possible to use it? Don't feel confident attaching it to my new toy just yet! Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Tosty.
I've just installed my Kenwood DDX7025 & KNA-DV3200 Sat Nav in my 06 Sti, i used the head unit loom connector for the speed signal, but as the nav unit is mounted in the boot i connected the reverse connection to the rear light, but i'm sure that the reverse light wire in the rear light cluster was brown/yellow. Have you thought about connecting a spare 12 volt bulb between the brown/yellow wire in the head unit loom and any earth/ground point then engaging reverse ?

Tim
Old 12 July 2006, 08:24 AM
Tosty
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Tim. I need to buy some spare fuses so I'll get a spare bulb at the same time and try it out.
Old 17 July 2006, 04:04 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

has any one got the handsfre kit with there DDX6029, if so are they any good, what abut sound quality of the unit its self the fact that it’s the same make as he poor standard system is putting me off at the min will it need a amp to sound good.

thanks all
Old 18 July 2006, 09:00 AM
Tosty
Scooby Newbie

The handsfree kit is not yet available to my knowledge. I will be buying it ASAP, so will advise in due course.

IMO, the sound is certainly better than the standard unit. I can actually hear some treble now, together with a bit more in the bass department. Whether that is good enough for you, I can't say. But it does give a much better starting point to add things onto.

Overall I am well impressed. The user interface could do with a bit of a makeover though.

Haven't had many minutes to fiddle with it yet, but can anyone tell me how to get into the audio setup menu. Press setup, get the list (tuner, dvd etc), first one is audio setup with a padlock. Managed to get in once but can't do it again. One of the other options is also locked, but that allows me in.

Regards

Tosty.
Old 18 July 2006, 07:28 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

thanks tosty, have you changed the speaker ????? if so what have you changed it for,

any chance of some pictures, thanks
Old 18 July 2006, 08:06 PM
Tosty
Scooby Newbie

Nah, all the speakers are stock. Don't really have any plans to change them. Will try to do some pics, perhaps at the weekend.
Old 18 July 2006, 08:28 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

thanks would love to see it, my scooby is a 06 so it would be great to see how it looks with the dash, how you finding the car dont see many 06 out on the road yet i love my 1
Old 18 July 2006, 09:42 PM
Slap Head
Scooby Regular

Go on change the speakers, you will really notice the difference

I'm running Infinity's on mdf spacers in the front (as in the FAQ's section) and 70w Pioneers in the back, using the ****e oem speakers as mounting brackets

Tim
Old 18 July 2006, 10:22 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tosty
The handsfree kit is not yet available to my knowledge. I will be buying it ASAP, so will advise in due course.

IMO, the sound is certainly better than the standard unit. I can actually hear some treble now, together with a bit more in the bass department. Whether that is good enough for you, I can't say. But it does give a much better starting point to add things onto.

Overall I am well impressed. The user interface could do with a bit of a makeover though.

Haven't had many minutes to fiddle with it yet, but can anyone tell me how to get into the audio setup menu. Press setup, get the list (tuner, dvd etc), first one is audio setup with a padlock. Managed to get in once but can't do it again. One of the other options is also locked, but that allows me in.

Regards

Tosty.
I'll check tomorrow mate - from what I remember you have to go into memory set up or summat where you can save your settings and there's an option in there to lock/unlock the menu..
Old 19 July 2006, 08:47 AM
Tosty
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Bartop, I'll have a look in the memory menu.

F1: To give some perspective, MY06 is my fourth impreza turbo (as I call them). First 2 were classics, 97 and 2000 I think. Bought the 2nd one after the bug eyes came out and decided I didn't like them. First one should have been a Catalunya special, but the allocation of 1 to my garage was reduced to 0, after I placed the order and was waiting 4 months. I'll never get over it. Ever. 3rd was the model after bug eye (name?), ie previous to current model. Ex demo. Then bought current ex demo MY06 in January. Will keep it till warranty runs out. Will buy another Subaru as long as it has a double din setup. Had a wr sport box on the previous model so have fitted one on the current model. Sounds crap. Well not crap, just that the 2.5 doesn't sound have as nice (loud) as the old 2.0 engine as detailed on other threads here. That's the only regret really. Don't want to go to the crazy Jap exhausts for the sound. Drives really nicely and pulls from standstill so much better than previous 2.0 engines. So much so that the turbo cut in is almost non existant. Oh, it's also my first wagon.

Thanks for reading!

Tosty.
Old 21 July 2006, 08:27 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

"Will try to do some pics, perhaps at the weekend" if you could tosty that would be great need to see 1 before i take the big push and spend all my ££

Thanks
Old 22 July 2006, 02:54 PM
Tosty
Scooby Newbie

Piccy's (hopefully!)

Ignore the interferance pattern, thats just from the camera. Nav display is as clear as any lcd I've ever seen.

Sorry they are a bit dark. They were taken inside the garage.

The nav unit sits behind the ashtray on the silver box above the transmission tunnel. Nice and flat, but needed it's flap open (hence the tape covering the card slot) for the extra 0.5mm to put the lower section of the console back in!

We keep it in the "flat" position which matches the angle of the console. Was wondering if it would look better flush fitted though. Thoughts? Would need to elongate the mounting holes in the side mounts.

Lovely fingerprints!

Last edited by Tosty; 22 July 2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 22 July 2006, 05:08 PM
Gus the Bus
Scooby Regular

Now that looks very smart

I'm not into the sat nav but I'd like a double din head/DVD unit. That looks like it came as standard. Excellent!

Gus
Old 22 July 2006, 08:56 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Thnaks tosty looks good that’s sold it to me I had better get ordering

what a perfect match for the dash, thanks for taking the time to post the pictures its much appreciated.

I am going to change the speaker as well so I will have to give you all feedback on what improvement that gives, o and has anyone gone for the TV tuner is it any good and where does the aerial have to go, how cool would that be when I am sleeping in the car in the welsh forests for three nights for the WRC …..
Old 23 July 2006, 10:22 AM
Tosty
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys.

Should also mention that I got it all from PSi3. Many thanks to Simon. Good prices and great service.
Old 04 November 2008, 02:57 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Default Kenwood speed sensor wire

Originally Posted by Slap Head
I've just installed my Kenwood DDX7025 & KNA-DV3200 Sat Nav in my 06 Sti, i used the head unit loom connector for the speed signal, but as the nav unit is mounted in the boot i connected the reverse connection to the rear light, but i'm sure that the reverse light wire in the rear light cluster was brown/yellow. Have you thought about connecting a spare 12 volt bulb between the brown/yellow wire in the head unit loom and any earth/ground point then engaging reverse ?

Tim

Hi Tim,

I've just got a KNA-DV3200 and I'l' be installing it (hopefully) in my 2005 STI........you say you used the head unit loom connector for the speed signal.......which wire was this.....can you remember?? I don't have the same head unit, but similar...mine's the 6029.

Does the speed sensor have to be connected?

Cheers,

Marty

Quick Reply: Double Din DVD Setups