Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

What Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2014, 08:41 AM
sens3i
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Clutch?

I am after some recommendations as to what clutch i should fit to my JDM V3 GC8 STi, Build progress is near completion and my aim is between 350-375bhp with 330-340 torque. Plans to further my build towards the end of the year with forged internals and possible 6 speed conversion with increased power

What would everyones option be from the following, remember this car presently is my daily driver with average 30miles a day travels on normal A-B roads.

Exedy Pink - tested by scoobyclinc to 400bhp

Competition Clutch stage 2 - Carbon full disk 80% increase in torque

Competition Clutch stage 4 - 6 puk carbon sprung 250% increase in torque
Old 03 April 2014, 09:02 PM
mechanix
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sens3i
I am after some recommendations as to what clutch i should fit to my JDM V3 GC8 STi, Build progress is near completion and my aim is between 350-375bhp with 330-340 torque. Plans to further my build towards the end of the year with forged internals and possible 6 speed conversion with increased power

What would everyones option be from the following, remember this car presently is my daily driver with average 30miles a day travels on normal A-B roads.

Exedy Pink - tested by scoobyclinc to 400bhp

Competition Clutch stage 2 - Carbon full disk 80% increase in torque

Competition Clutch stage 4 - 6 puk carbon sprung 250% increase in torque
Got to be the Exedy pink box really...paddle/puk clutch will be nasty as a daily driver... Also the pink box will help preserve the 5 speed box with the sort of power your looking for.... cushions some of the torque to a point
Pink box in my sprint classic RA has survived many full on launches and sprint events...No slippage either
Old 04 April 2014, 11:04 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Easy answer, Exedy Pink, easily the most popular and widely used clutch on the Impreza.

http://www.superhids.co.uk/clutches-...der-230mm.html

I highly recommend the forged lightweight flywheel option, makes the car drive so much nicer.
Old 04 April 2014, 01:13 PM
mechanix
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aztec Performance Ltd
Easy answer, Exedy Pink, easily the most popular and widely used clutch on the Impreza.

http://www.superhids.co.uk/clutches-...der-230mm.html

I highly recommend the forged lightweight flywheel option, makes the car drive so much nicer.
Got my pink box from Aztec... good price and service... have the Exedy billet flywheel too.
Old 04 April 2014, 09:48 PM
stealthbomber
Scooby Regular

Exedy pink box. Give alyn at as performance a ring, he'll look after you.
Old 09 April 2014, 07:16 AM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for Exedy Pink. Got mine from Aztec aswell. Steve.
Old 14 April 2014, 08:25 AM
sens3i
Scooby Regular

Bought the Exedy Pink from ScoobyClinic in the end.
Old 14 April 2014, 10:29 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of the above would have been my answer with your future aims in mind. The pink won't cope with a significant power increase and no one should use a paddle clutch on a daily driver as they will hate the car after the first traffic jam.
Old 14 April 2014, 10:36 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
None of the above would have been my answer with your future aims in mind. The pink won't cope with a significant power increase and no one should use a paddle clutch on a daily driver as they will hate the car after the first traffic jam.
A pink box Exedy clutch will take his target power all day long and feel near O.E when being driven.Have you used one on a 400 bhp car yourself?I have,and it would be more then adequate for the OP requirements.SJ.
Old 14 April 2014, 07:22 PM
Tyre-fitter
Scooby Regular

Excedy pink box & lightened flywheel,,i purchased both from AZTEC & mines about 390bhp.

Andy.
Old 15 April 2014, 07:30 AM
sens3i
Scooby Regular

Also bought a lighten flywheel from Neil Brailsford, machined down to 6.5kg
Old 16 April 2014, 11:16 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by stonejedi
A pink box Exedy clutch will take his target power all day long and feel near O.E when being driven.Have you used one on a 400 bhp car yourself?I have,and it would be more then adequate for the OP requirements.SJ.
Why don't you read his post and my response - I was considering his future "increased power by the year end" requirements, not just the first 375bhp step that he is contemplating. No point fitting two different clutches within a year IMO.

As to your sarcastic comment, I have used many clutches, and I have driven an Exedy pink in a circa 400bhp car thanks

My preference at 450bhp/ 370ftlb (for over 20k miles) on my car was an AP race organic. It felt completely OEM, not "near oem"..., and put up with everything it had thrown at it

At my current level of 560bhp/480ft lb (twinplate cerametallic) I am in different territory these days, but the AP was still fine when we took it off.
Old 16 April 2014, 09:16 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
Why don't you read his post and my response - I was considering his future "increased power by the year end" requirements, not just the first 375bhp step that he is contemplating. No point fitting two different clutches within a year IMO.

As to your sarcastic comment, I have used many clutches, and I have driven an Exedy pink in a circa 400bhp car thanks

My preference at 450bhp/ 370ftlb (for over 20k miles) on my car was an AP race organic. It felt completely OEM, not "near oem"..., and put up with everything it had thrown at it

At my current level of 560bhp/480ft lb (twinplate cerametallic) I am in different territory these days, but the AP was still fine when we took it off.
Go for a walk mate,and stop whining yourself up Lol,wether he is forging at the end of the year or not,what power level did he state that he was going to run after his engine is forged?The answer is "he didn't" so it's strictly speculation.My recommendation for a uprated clutch was for his stated bhp figure,nothing more.To the OP what is the total bhp level that you are hoping to run after the forged build,if you know I could give you a more specific recommendation.SJ.