Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

P1 clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2014, 05:04 PM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1 clutch issues

Went out for a cruise with SES drove from Maidstone to Hernbay about 25 mins then sat in traffic for about half an hour start stop traffic, went into reverse to parallel park and the pedal stuck to the floor and couldn't disengage reverse, even though the pedal was on the floor it still had drive so I had to brake hard to stop the car crashing into the car behind at which point it stalled , had to bring the pedal up with my hand which gave resistance then popped up, started the car, pedal opperated normal but couldn't select a gear, pumped the pedal which started going floppy, turned the car off and let it cool for half an hour. Started the car everything fine, then 5 mins down the road and all the way home, when stopping, select 1st, when bringging the pedal up it gets stuck a quarter of the way up, so I brought it back up the rest of the way with my toe, selecting second and all other gears including reverse is fine.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 17 August 2014, 07:29 PM
mtb_ed
Scooby Regular

Check colour of fluid? If dark more than likely slave cylinder seals gone.

If still clean could be air! Tricky to blead.

Best way to do it is:

1. Remove slave cylinder from gearbox. (obviously keeping connected to hydraulic system)

2. Use a G clamp to secure pin fully in!

3. Small piece of hose and blead away.

4. Once all air gone, remove clamp and refit slave.

5. Pump pedal keeping an eye on fluid lever.

6. Enjoy!
Old 17 August 2014, 08:18 PM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, will I be able to tell from just taking the filler cap off and having a look?

This will be a first for me, I don't know what the cylinder looks like............
Old 17 August 2014, 08:49 PM
mtb_ed
Scooby Regular

Oh yes, If really bad you won't need to! Compare the colour to your brake fluid as same!
Old 17 August 2014, 09:23 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bleed nipple may be loose, seals may have gone. also worth checking the rod at the pedal end has not worked too loose (theres a lock nut).
try bleeding on the car first before you go to too much trouble. you can get a spanner onto the nipple without removing the ic.
Old 17 August 2014, 09:29 PM
mtb_ed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
bleed nipple may be loose, seals may have gone. also worth checking the rod at the pedal end has not worked too loose (theres a lock nut).
try bleeding on the car first before you go to too much trouble. you can get a spanner onto the nipple without removing the ic.
Problem is on the car the rod where the oil is is higher than the nipple! Hence all the problems bleeding these!

It's only a couple of nuts!
Old 17 August 2014, 09:56 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bled mine no problem on the car. he can at least get pressure back in the pedal without the hassle of ic off first though.
Old 20 August 2014, 06:29 AM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

Ok here's the update,

Went to halfords yesterday on my way home from work to get fluid which is about 2 miles from work, on leaving the clutch failed again, pedal stuck to the floor with 1st still engaged, so the car stalled as I had the anchors on. Got out and popped the bonnet, found a puddle of fluid under the car, and a leak in the slave pipe, the level in the reservoir had gone down an inch!
Topped up the fluid and made it home, another 4 miles, then it failed again reversing onto the drive, level in the reservoir had dropped by half an inch.

I've had the IC off and the pipe on the slave, which has a big split in the top.

The fluid that came out was a bit black. I've ordered a new pipe, first class, so I'll whack that on and fingers crossed, it'll be sorted.
Old 22 August 2014, 06:29 AM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

My HEL pipe turned up yesterday, so as soon as I got home from work i was on the case. It would have been an easy job but the satinless fitting on the end that attaches to the hard pipes was a fraction too big (0.5mm or so) to go throught the mounting bracket, so I had to get the Dremmel out and grind the bracket so it would go through.

Then my auto bleed kit which you pressurise from your spare wheel to push the fluid through, couldn't be used, because out of the 5 different sized caps they supply with it, none of them would fit the resevior. I had to do it the old fashion way by pumping the pedal, have a look, top it up, pump the pedal, have a look, top it up and so on .........

There's always something that you didn't expect . It gave me a good opportunity to have a clean under the IC. Anyway all sorted now, although it does seem the bite point is slightly lower than it was before.

Thanks for all your input guys.