Notices
Technical Topics Archive This is where we store all those topics that are going to be useful time and time again...

Centre Diff Control Use, the real translation!

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2002, 10:27 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation Centre Diff Control Use, the real translation!

I asked a guy i know who lives in Japan to have the owners manual translated for me in respect to the STi TypeR/RA DCCD Centre diff controller as i felt the information in the owners manuals i had read did not give a clear indication of how it should be used, i also noticed some sections of the translated manual were missing.

It took about a week to get done, this is the result. Yes you can drive on tarmac using the diff, including using full lock! Yes you will get some vibration if you run with the display in the orange range, that is normal and is not causing damage to the diff. You can get vibrtion and shock loadings under heavy braking due to variations in front/rear rotational rates, that is normal. You will get transmition wind up in slow manouvers when the diff is in the orange, you can cancel this out by just lifting the handbrake until the handbrake light illuminates. The reason the display has orange/green colours is to indicate at what point you will start to get some posible shuddering in slow manouvers. Also the diff is not a six way position, its infinately adjustable using a potentiometer with 2 switched ends.

Below is the translation.

DRIVER'S CONTROL CENTER DIFF
(SKETCH5046)
(SKETCH5852)
The intent of this mechanism is to adjust the diff lock ratio of the LSD (limited slip differential) as necessary.
Adjusting the dial to "diff free" (indicator: green, empty square, empty triangle) under normal driving conditions, and "diff lock" (bright orange solid triangle) on gravel, snow, in the rain, is effective (probably means suggested). By setting the diff lock ratio as necessary, depending on the various roads and running conditions, unrivaled driving mobility will be demonstrated.

WARNING!
This is not an all purpose vehicle. DO NOT overestimate its abilities. Please use appropriate discretion and drive at safe speeds where there are sudden braking, sudden turns, sudden curbs, snowy roads, slippery roads, etc.

USING THE CONTROL DIAL
(SKETCH5048)
The dial is located next to the handbrake lever, rotating it fully forward is diff free, rotating it fully backward is diff lock. You can continuously change the diff lock ratio using the settings in between.
DIFF FREE: No front and rear LSD (Front to rear power distribution=36:64)
DIFF LOCK: The front and rear have an almost direct connection. (Front to rear power distribution=front/rear load distribution)
(CHART1)

INDICATOR (ON THE METER DISPLAY)
The diff lock ratio is displayed at one of six settings, as it is linked to the control dial. The upper lighted block (orange solid triangle) indicates a greater direct connection.
The true lock ratio can be continuously changed.

ADVICE
• The indicator is the criterion.
• Regardless of what the dial settings are, LOCK will illuminate for one second after the key is turned to the on position.
• At night, while your driving lights are on, the display may appear to go dark for a moment, but this is normal.

CANCELLATION OF DIFFLOCK
Even if the DCCD is set to LOCK (orange), by pulling the hand brake lever, it will automatically go to DIFF FREE, moving all power to the rear wheels. (linked to the brake warning light) However, the indicator will not change.
Once you release the hand brake lever, the DCCD will return to its proper setting.

TIGHT CORNER BRAKING PHENOMENON (makes more sense once you read the following)
When the indicator is orange while driving on dry tarmac/asphalt, corners, and even reverse parking, due to the rotational difference between the front and rear wheels, there are cases where heavy vibration and noise may occur during braking.
Though this is not out of the ordinary, and to resolve this "problem", you can simply either set the DCCD to DIFF FREE or pull the hand brake enough so that the brake warning light illuminates.
While you may feel a light "shock" when using the control dial during quick acceleration and tight cornering, due to the movement of the center diff, this is normal.

WARNING!
• DO NOT use the DCCD while any of the wheels are in mid air.
• Set the DCCD to DIFF FREE while the car is stopped.
• Set the DCCD to DIFF FREE while the car is being pulled or towed. The car can only be towed/pulled either by rope or on a rollback. DO NOT pull or tow the car on only its front or rear wheels. Please see page 195 for more information on warnings related to towing.
• ALWAYS set the DCCD to DIFF FREE when using the emergency spare tire. Change or fix the tire as soon as possible.
• When the center diff requires repair (control unit, disconnected wires, shorted wires, voltage issues, etc.) the DCCD reverts back to DIFF FREE and the indicator (at which you last had it set) should flash at 1 second intervals. Please go to your nearest Subaru dealer immediately. Once a problem arises, even if the unit regains power, it will not reset itself until the engine key is set to the off position.

[Edited by johnfelstead - 2/5/2003 1:53:51 PM]
Old 23 October 2002, 10:38 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Exclamation

and here is the english manual

Old 24 October 2002, 08:39 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

John,

Good well fella! One thing it still doesn't tell us (and I've always wanted to know) is can you adjust it whilst on the move.

I would guess after reading that that you can but what do you think?

Ta,

Matt
Old 24 October 2002, 10:53 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Exclamation

How can you ask that after reading the above?

I think you best read it again.

It would be imposible to do half of what it is saying if you didnt adjust it on the move, for example using the handbrake to release the diff lock, then letting the handbrake go to give you back your diff lock setting. It even tells you where you shouldnt adjust it, such as when the wheels are mid air.

You can change the diff setting between fully open and fully locked anytime you like apart from where it warns you not to. If you are going to be doing parking manouvers set it to diff free.
Old 24 October 2002, 11:51 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

only thing that concerns me is my diff switch is round the wrong way.

for me fully back is fully open. should turn it round by this reckoning!
Old 24 October 2002, 11:59 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Now you are being silly Adam!

There is nothing wrong with your switch, they are all that way round, the manual is wrong in its description re what is front/back.

[Edited by johnfelstead - 10/24/2002 12:01:40 PM]
Old 24 October 2002, 12:40 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Red face

Jinkies! How often do you drive with a wheel in the air?

And then in the next paragraph tells you to drive safely?
Old 24 October 2002, 12:43 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Red face

3 times a lap at the nurburgring!
Old 24 October 2002, 04:39 PM
Gixerman
Scooby Regular

Cheers John.....What would we do without you!!!

Tony
Old 25 October 2002, 01:06 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

I am sure you would survive Tony.
Old 25 October 2002, 08:02 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

John,

Just re-read the post and you *may* have a point - sod

Matt
Old 25 October 2002, 08:58 AM
Dave R
Scooby Regular

nice one john.
Old 25 October 2002, 12:50 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Constantly use my diff on fully locked when doing full launches such as on 1/4 miles never had a problem i just have to remember to wind it back to open before i finish.

Mel.
Old 25 October 2002, 04:09 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Wink

John! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Just help yourself to my scanned images of the handbook [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] And you don't credit your source [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Only kidding LOL
Its good to finally see confirmed what you can and can't do with the diff.

Incidentley did any of you guys go for the remaped diff ECU that's offered by has sliped my mind. I seem to remember you mentioned that you was thinking of testing one or something John.

ian
Old 25 October 2002, 04:11 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

LOL at John...

one moment he tells matt he to re-read the pages, then he tells adam to ignore them because they are wrong! whats a guy to think?

Moray

Old 25 October 2002, 04:13 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

PS: Ian/555 ...

Out of curiosity, did you get given scoobyplus status for moderation services you provided in the past? I may be wrong, but i seem to rememember you moderating something a while back.

Moray
Old 25 October 2002, 04:54 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Ian/555 wasn't it Townsend that were doing the diff ecu.

Mel.
Old 25 October 2002, 04:57 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Red face

Sorry Ian, i receive so many mails from people on the BBS i forget where i get things from quite often.

I was damn tempted to edit your post proclaiming how grateful you were i used your images. LOL

Moray, i was refering to Adams bonkers idea that he should turn his dial around because a manual said it was the other way round, i just found that amusing. Anyway to you on that one.

And simon posted ages ago on the BBS for any ex mods to contact him with regards to a free membership for services rendered, did you not see that?
Old 25 October 2002, 04:59 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Exclamation

Townend garage and TEG were/are? developing the centre diff controller. I decided not to use it.
Old 25 October 2002, 07:36 PM
Blind Side
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

John, this is seriously useful (if a little difficult to de-cipher at first reading). It should help to remove a few of the mistaken opinions about the adjustable diff being a delicate 'pose factor' drivers toy. I am surprised that they do not include the exact front/rear power ratios for each setting all the way through to lock.
Cheers.
Old 25 October 2002, 07:54 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

john, you know me well enough by now,

we have both been on here well over three years (well I have ), surely you knew I was taking the p1ss?
Old 25 October 2002, 07:58 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

yeh, just like you knew i was taking the **** with marks margerine tub fuel pump surge assembly! LOL
Old 25 October 2002, 08:04 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Exclamation

I am surprised that they do not include the exact front/rear power ratios for each setting all the way through to lock.
They do? thats what the 0-100% scale is all about. The adjuster is a potentiometer, so its variable from 0-100% of lock, the display just provides an aproximate value to that % over 6 lights.

edited after i re-educated myself.

[Edited by johnfelstead - 2/5/2003 2:00:22 PM]
Old 25 October 2002, 08:49 PM
Blind Side
Scooby Regular

As I run a 5 type R it is the 'anything in between' I am/was interested in. Happy with fully open and fully locked. Each setting (click) should have a fairly precise ratio. As I am not a mathematician just thought I'd ask/observe that it would be interesting to know what they are! However, don't worry about an answer I can/will drive around quite happily without it!
Old 25 October 2002, 08:57 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Exclamation

you are missing the point completely!

There is no precise click, it's a potentiometer, the setting is infinately variable between 0-100% locked. Do not go off the display and think it only has 6 settings, it doesnt, those lights are just a basic approx indication of the setting.

Does that make sense?
Old 25 October 2002, 09:08 PM
Blind Side
Scooby Regular

I get the feeling that either you have had a bad day, or I am too being overly sensitive? I thought it was a fair question, but I now wish I hadnt asked.
Old 25 October 2002, 09:21 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Red face

hahahaha

do you not know what a potentiometer is? It isnt a switch, it's a variable output resister. The centre diff controller uses this variable resister to alter the value of voltage that the electromagnet around the centre diff recieves, and therefore the force in the magnetic field, therefore the amount of lock that the centre diff gives.

Once again, it is not a 6 position settings, it is variable from 0% to 100% lock. so it can be 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,15,17....... ...........95,96,97,98,99,100% locked.

Please tell me you understand this? LOL
Old 25 October 2002, 10:03 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

John its ok no need to apologise, as I was only kidding anyway Is there any reason that you can say here, why you decided not to try the diff ECU John, or has this been covered in another post I have missed?

Moray you are correct about me being rewarded for crimes committed against the BBs. If you register for the Scoobyplus membership as normal, and then just email the ref No. it gives you to Simon or Shaun, they will then issue you with the much sort after membership for free in apreciation of your Moderating services.

ian
Old 25 October 2002, 10:09 PM
Blind Side
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep,

Message now received bluntly but fairly clearly! If nothing else it has provided me with alot more information (knowledge) than I had 3 hours ago. I will now get Mr Scott to beam me up!
Old 25 October 2002, 10:31 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

phew

Quick Reply: Centre Diff Control Use, the real translation!