Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Technical / Subaru Modifications > Drivetrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01 October 2001, 15:23   #1
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (2)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.
Other than controlling purges ?
Scott.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2001, 19:35   #2
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
if it's the 1 im thinking of it's to do with fuel vapours when the engine is off and running
scoobyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2001, 19:40   #3
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.
So it won't effect the overal running of the car then if it or it's connection is faulty ?

Does the air from the 2 connecting pipes just go to the canister behind the headlight then ?
Old 01 October 2001, 20:07   #4
Scoob_2000
Scooby Newbie

Trader Score: (0)
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Scott.T:
<B>So it won't effect the overal running of the car then if it or it's connection is faulty ?

Does the air from the 2 connecting pipes just go to the canister behind the headlight then ?[/quote]

Hi Scott,
The Purge valve is used to control the flow of fuel vapours from the purge cannister (sometimes referred to as the charcoal cannister). Fuel vapours from the petrol tank are stored in the purge cannister and then the purge valve controls the flow of them into the intake system. These fumes/vapours are then combusted with the fuel injected from the injectors.
The fuel tank is then "purged" of its vapour.

The idea is that this will reduce the evaporative emissions from your fuel tank. Older cars without a purge system have a small hole in the filler cap to constantly vent the tank.

Generally speaking an engine will run perfectly well without the purge connected. The pipework to the purge cannister has a blow-off valve should the tank pressure get to excessive levels.

However, if you have a MY00 or later the ECU will have On-Board-Diagnostics (OBD) that will detect a faulty (or disconnected) purge valve and will illuminate the check engine light on your dash.

Hope the info helps

Paul

Scoob_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2001, 20:23   #5
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Scoob_2000 thanks for that, sound like you know your stuff. When does the Purge control valve open or close then ?

So how about this one then.....what controls the fuel over-run shut-off when you lift off the accelerator at speed. I know on fords that there was an overrun shutoff valve that worked of an earth contact when the throttle was closed, the minimum fuel to keep the car running was pumped in.

This would only work at above 1,600rpm. So I assume that the Subaru may be the same as I can feel it working above 2,000rpm approx. I was just wondering as mine seems a bit to abrupt at times and it may a clue why I have an on Boost hesitation that both Power Engineering and Barratts Subaru are puzzled by.
Old 01 October 2001, 20:23

Tags
1996, air, control, evap, fuel, function, functions, location, purge, purpose, solenoid, subaru, tank, valve, vavle