Yet another MAF sensor gone

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2002, 03:51 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Yup, 'nother one after 1500 km.

OK, it's my own fault, still haven't removed the PiperX but still...

I'm really convinced now that it is due to vibrations ... sensor still looks clean as a whistle.

Wrexy, my dealer is not aware of the "sensor" alone deal for 90 EUR, and I'm a bit fed up paying 420 EUR: would you think it possible to order one or 2 for me & send them over ? I'd pay in advance + postal charges + a large pint ?

Other question: I seem to remember that Mac's Power sold some induction kits (K&N I think) that he kind of "guaranteed" against MAF failure... does anyone have more info about this (or a link to his site) ?

Ta.

Theo

PS: if anyone ever has a MAF sensor housing failure with a perfect MAF, I'll do bulk deals on them
Old 15 May 2002, 04:16 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
have a look at

http://www.subaruparts.com/cart/?pn=...=13&submit.y=4

link found in another thread thanks to GavinP Does it help you?
Old 15 May 2002, 04:40 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cool

Erm... if these are the right sensors, I'll have 5 ! And I'll kiss you as well

<runs out to check part number on carton box...>
Old 15 May 2002, 04:44 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

OK, on the box it says 22680AA301

That is for the whole assembly including tea strainer though.

Entering that part number on the website gave no hits

Please please please tell me that the link you gave me is correct.
Old 15 May 2002, 05:45 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Sorry, I don't know whether the part no. is correct for your particular MAF, but maybe Gavin or someone else does, the thread I lifted it from is http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=95726

Justin
Old 15 May 2002, 06:01 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Big thanks anyway Jay (and Gavin)

Have posted a request on the website to see if it is the correct MAF.

If so, it would be about 1/9th of the price I am currently paying (repeatedly )... hmmm...

Old 15 May 2002, 07:02 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Theo,

I can find out the part number/price of the MAF electronic gubbins tomorrow for you if you like 'cos they do them without the hi-flow tea strainer in Blighty now

Matt
Old 15 May 2002, 08:25 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Smile

Theo, mail me if I can help out in any way
Old 15 May 2002, 11:19 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Theo,

No worries mate! I can do. The part number for the seperate MAF is 22794AA010 (METER CP-AIR FLOW). I kept the box and the part number is on it. Send me an e mail mate.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 15 May 2002, 11:35 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I found this site with some pics of a MAF and the part number is 22794AA000. The box the MAF comes in, in that pic, is exactly the same box as the one mine came in. However my part number is 22794AA010. The MAF looks identical too, including the pins. I don't know if there is any difference inside though.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...id=887#post887

Cheers,

Wrexy.

Old 15 May 2002, 11:56 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Actually there may be a difference cos the complete MAF part number on that site is 22680AA290 and for our cars Theo, it's 22680AA301. They are close but maybe different. The MAF sensors on that site with those part numbers are for the RS Impreza 2.5 litre. And the 22794AA000 fits into the 22680AA290. But for our cars the 22794AA010 senso fits into the 22680AA301 housing.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

Old 16 May 2002, 12:43 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Not again Theo!!

Have you not thought about stripping one and maybe trying to see if you can repair them with some electronic components? I bet the part that fails costs a few pence.

I havent looked into this myself but most things can be broken down to components if you try hard enough.

Just a thought.
Old 16 May 2002, 08:40 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

Theo

If it's not oil/dirt contamination and you think that it's vibration, can't you damp the housing better somehow. Is it an induction kit or a panel filter in the std air box? I know that if induction kits aren't mounted correctly then the vibration will kill the MAF.

F
Old 16 May 2002, 11:42 AM
H dejong
Scooby Regular

Hello Theo.

Sad to hear you've blown another MAF.
I don't know the configuration of your car,but....
I've been driving around with a KN57i-kit for about 17 months (approx. 15000km) and never had problems with the MAF.

Last week I replaced the KN57i-kit with the standard Subaru Panel filter and the original box, after hearing sad stories about blown MAF and engine's. (see also Dutch Subaru-forum)
After replacement, I can tell you that the car felt much faster, better on the gas and much smoother to drive.
What a difference it made!!

Why not try the original filterparts and drive a few days with it?
Maybe it's an option to consider, but I would really try it.
Replacing the MAF so often, is a very expensive task, but what if your engine blows....

Wishing you good luck....

With regards

Hans de Jong
Subaru@zonnet.nl

[Edited by H dejong - 5/16/2002 11:43:52 AM]
Old 16 May 2002, 05:18 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys.

Wrexy... I'll mail you as soon as I have a confirmation from SubaruParts that they don't carry the correct item (don't want you to do work for nuttin'). Needless to say I very much appreciate your offer. If I don't get a response in 2 days, I'll mail you & send you the money.

JF, good point, and I may try to wriggle one open to see what gives (have enough lying around )

Floyd, also good point... AFAIK there are 2 type of failures: 1) the slow one giving lower & lower voltages (very dangerous) and 2) the "sudden" one where the car just completely dies on you in about 1 second. I had that twice now (very scary ) and I'm pretty sure that is indeed due to vibration.
When you restart the car with such a MAF, the engine immediately cuts out, and the check engine comes up. I haven't tested it with the Deltadash, but I'm pretty sure it has stopped working altogether (no voltage at all).

The Pipercross is fixed to the chassis with a (rather rigid) metal bar. That bar then connects to a jubilee clip just next to the MAF. Maybe I should try to make something up do "dampen" that setup ?

Hans... you are right, I should have the whole standard filter box/resonator refitted - and I may well end up there But I want to give it one (or two) more goes with:

1) other induction kit
2) possibly trying to make up a "damper" for the assembly

I don't have the low down problems (probably due to Unichip mapping), and it *does* make a (very small) difference above 5.500 RPM, so I don't want to give up yet.

Funny, I had just picked up a "spare" MAF on Tuesday. The MAF then failed on Wednesday . Pull out screwdriver, pull out spare MAF, change trousers, hopla, 2 minutes, all fixed

Theo

PS: maybe I should mod my pipe rack into a MAF rack fitted into the boot

[Edited by EvilBevel - 5/16/2002 5:29:10 PM]
Old 17 May 2002, 01:50 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Wink

Theo I think all your problems are due to that dodgy thing called a Unichip which you insist on running(joke!)
Old 17 May 2002, 05:08 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cool

LOL Deep.

Well... erm... actually.

I really (after 3 years Scoob experience & the same time reading here) start to consider the MAF as an accident waiting to happen. Perhaps couloured by my experience, but still. I'm now at a point where I am scared to put my foot down to be honest

In any case: it looks like if the Ecutek guys get it right, the current Unichip is no longer an option (for me personally, not slagging the product, mind !). Just seems a "tidier" option now, and the old JECS seems to be a rather nice ECU...

But I am seriously wondering if I shouldn't try a Link/GEMS or similar. The car has "settled" now, so I wouldn't need to worry about a remap each time I changed exhausts or induction kits (the good side of the MAF: changes in VE are almost irrelevant to the maps, not so with MAP based tuning.) And also I think I now would no longer be scared to do little changes myself.

Hmmm... maybe a trip to the UK might be in the cards after all...
Old 17 May 2002, 09:23 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Theo you sound a bit stressed mate! Remember this tuning business is meant to be fun(not!).I'm quite disappointed,if you get a Link/GEMS who am I going to argue with??!!
Old 18 June 2002, 02:56 PM
Durmanhoth
Scooby Newbie

Evil, Did you get any answer from SubaruParts.com? I have sent them a query, but they dont seem to reply:/

I lost my second MAF a while ago. and i dont wanna pay no silly 400£ for the whole thing.

/Mike
Old 18 June 2002, 03:12 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Theo

You could organise a group buy on your own M8

Having taken your car apart in Spain, I'm sure its not vibration.
Old 18 June 2002, 04:44 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Wink

Paul in macspower offers the guarantee i think, its a KnN filter with an sti inlet trumpet AFAIK...

www.macspower.net

Cheers
Old 18 June 2002, 05:00 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Thanks 5pint

To answer the questions:

1) I never got a reply from subaruparts, which pisses me off, as I even went outside in the rain because they wanted a VIN number to post a question

2) Pete, I did organise my own group buy in the mean time

Why do you say though that it is not vibration related ? The original filterbox/resonator (which I both refitted in the mean time) seem to be carefully designed to counter vibration. The setup of the PiperX does certainly not.

Oh, and indeed Hans, the car runs MUCH better with the standard filter setup. (and richer)

Alas... me has been funky again and ordered the Pace FMIC. No cutting required, great, BUT (aargh) ... it does not fit with the standard filter box

Back to square one, but mailing MacsPower as we speak And I have 2 spare MAFs now as well
Old 18 June 2002, 11:47 PM
Durmanhoth
Scooby Newbie

Evil, Did you find somewhere to buy only the sensor, and not the whole "pipe" assembly? If so WHERE?
Old 19 June 2002, 09:52 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Wink

@Evil... hehe at least u can deal in Euros now too... best of luck with it...

Cheers
Old 19 June 2002, 10:53 PM
EMS
Scooby Regular

Theo,

I don't think it's a vibration related problem. The newer VW cars do use the same design of MAF sensor (Bosch) and their airfilter housing is nicely mounted in rubber bushings, they have LOTS LOTS LOTS LOTS LOTS of problems with faulty MAFs. I know also know from Opel (Vauxhall) and BMW they have the same problems! They all use the same (sh***) design of MAF sensor. Subaru better had taken a Japanese designed MAF, they should be lasting a little bit longer. Audi did fit a Hitachi one to the actual V6 TDi, instead of the Bosch one they used before!!!

I have to check out if that one can be fitted in the Subaru. (The MAF sensor scaling can be easily adjusted by the Ecutek mapping tool )

Mark.
Old 19 June 2002, 11:05 PM
SCOOBERATORS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

i removed my Hks Racing Suction kit 2-days before selling my car to find my maf sensor had packed up but i think it was something to do with the link ecu i had on the car has the link bypasses the maf sensor.
Old 25 June 2002, 11:05 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hey Theo i was in with Paul on fRiday, he siad u'd ordered the kit... best of luck with it
Old 25 June 2002, 11:20 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Talking

5pnt, would that be what they mean with this "small world" thing ?

Mark, sounds interesting... will keep in touch on the "Hitachi" mod ! OK, not vibration then... still a bit puzzled on the type of failure though (one second, all systems go, next second, splut...)
Old 26 June 2002, 11:32 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

LOL yup theo it sure is... I was talking to paul about the failures and in his opinion the p***rcross does not smooth the airflow leading to turbulence in the the inlet which damages the film.. with his kit containing the sti "trumpet" it smooths the airflow??? sounds good to me...

Cheers