Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Mapped today!

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2014, 11:15 AM
EJ20 Doc
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Future Proofing is my main point here chaps!

We all know only too well just how addictive the tuning of our beasts can be and how rapidly we all get used to the extra 80bhp. In no time at all our primeval desire for a bit more adrenaline overrides our desire for the comfort of a healthy bank balance.

I make this point simply because when presented with truly unbiased information cosbros made an educated decision.

I say unbiased because as a company offering facilities and services the profit margin between the sale of a replacement and fully live mappable control unit over a licenced Ecutek reflash is minimal. In fact by the time you take fitting an intake air temp sensor and extra time correctly setting up the base map on any of the aftermarket engine control units to the vehicle, there is in actual fact more profit available from the Ecutek choice.

OP purchased a second hand new wave Simtek ECU at a bargain price, already ALS and launch licensed and has a tangible asset that will always sale for the same money he paid. A wise man and really not miss sold in anyone’s world!

The undeniable advantages of the aftermarket ECU are as follows:
No longer runs the troublesome V5-V6 MAF,
Set up with multi maps safely able to cruise to work on the cheapest 95 ron fuel during the week and of course switch over to a super unleaded, high boost map for spirited driving at the weekend.
4 channel active knock control
Anti-lag and launch for the occasional blast of rally hero.
Flat shift option.
Intake air temp monitoring at the very mouth of the engines throttle body and calibrating to conditions.

The choice of VF34 was led by 3 main factors.
Ball bearing cassette, able to put up with ALS better than the TD04.
Always good for 340bhp almost guaranteed and as OP’s vehicle is a bit special, anymore than 340 will mean a strong possibility of premature component failure. The gear box will never be changed for a non standard unit!
Good, low millage unit available from reputable supplier at the fraction of the cost of new.

The vehicle is a JF1 99 GC8, 1 owner, 37K miles with full history and is immaculate. It won’t be long now before this type of Impreza will be a rarity, so taste full mods were the order of the day.

2.5” sports cat exhaust system with twin tail pipe means the car still looks and sounds standard.
440cc injectors running at just a little over 80% duty cycle means a massive safety margin.
292.29 ftlb Torque @ 3895.79 rpm is where it really counts.

We all know that more power is easily obtainable from this vehicle at a reasonably small cost but people need to remember that spending all their hard earnt all at once is not necessary what everyone wants. Some people like to do other things!

When OP is ready to do the next round of mods for the next jump in power he’s certainly not going to have to re-upgrade the mods that he’s already done is he!

If he wanted a 400/400 beast he won’t be starting with a standard JF1 minter just to de-value it will he.

I rarely log into Scooobynet these days but felt really quite sad that with one of his very first posts Cosbros was met with such ridicule. It really is no way to say hello!

P.S Boost control works fine on this one Bob……….

Last edited by EJ20 Doc; 15 April 2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 15 April 2014, 11:41 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ridicule lol

I respect your post but it's full of contradictions
Old 15 April 2014, 11:05 PM
cosbros
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Right then, sorry for throwing the toys out of the pram a bit there! Let me fill you in on my reasons for the mods so far:

1, I didn't want to spend money on stuff (EcuTek licence & map £550+vat) that would need to be chucked away when upgrading turbo, intercooler, injectors later on.

2, I found a cheap Simtek ECU and had it mapped for practically the same price as the EcuTek which allows me a fairly wide upgrade path in the future along with the switchable maps. It also has ALS/LC enabled, although I doubt this will be used, ever

3, The VF34 was also a bargain and as I was changing the exhaust it seemed to good an opportunity to pass up. With regard to the spooling up I can report that the standard TD04 was boosting at around 28-2900 revs, The VF34 is spinning up at the same (+/-500) revs. Secondly with the turbo choice, the TD04 would have been maxed out at 280 brake, it is the original one for the car and is now 15 years old and I'm fairly sure the oil seal was starting to leak having looked at it. The VF34 will be running under stressed at 300 brake so should last very well.

4, Numbers. As I said I wasn't after the maximum I could get from the car but I should have added, YET! The car is mint and I would love to be able to park it up in a bubble as an investment but it is my daily driver for the next year or two. All I wanted was an improvement on the standard car and not to push components to breaking point (It's still on the factory fitted clutch!!!)

5, Future mods, After market TMIC, to be fitted as soon as I can get a new age recirculating valve. I will be making a new scoop and ducting (hopefully start a thread showing progress) from aluminium for this to look as close to original as possible, just deeper. Before you ask, I am a sheet metal worker by trade and have worked in the aerospace sector making aircraft skins. Clutch, obviously, and probably very soon Brakes and suspension will follow when funds allow.

Having looked into the lumpy running, I'm convinced the map just needs a little tweaking, it feels a bit like the 1760cc X-Flow I had in a Westfield with A3 cam and 45's... Splutter, splutter, OH F***ING HELL, change gear!

Sorry again for the huffiness, it was late and I was tired and emotional (sound like Mrs Cosbros there).

Oh, and lastly, this was my last toy, BD10 cams & T38@ 2bar = 450bhp

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8m16gg4tsmwzqyz/DSCF0701.JPG
Old 16 April 2014, 04:36 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hardly ridicule is it....A Very defensive comment I must say!

constructive information would be what I would call it personally, can I ask why it was only mapped to that figure when surely there could have been more to get out of it on the day, what restrictions do you still have on the car?
Old 07 July 2014, 10:17 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Hardly ridicule is it....A Very defensive comment I must say!

constructive information would be what I would call it personally, can I ask why it was only mapped to that figure when surely there could have been more to get out of it on the day, what restrictions do you still have on the car?
I'd imagine the top mount intercooler for one. Yes, it would make 330bhp if required but the hest soak in the standard intercooler would quickly reduce that figure. Also, that amount of torque really does put the standard 5 speed under strain. I completely understand his way of thinking. Improve the power and driveability of his car whilst at the same time increasing the safety margin.

Smart bloke. May be more builds should be done like this rather than chasing horse power all the time. It isn't usually long before such owners start complainng about engine/gearbox/braking issues when an otherwise standard impreza is fitted with said mods.
Old 09 July 2014, 01:38 PM
cosbros
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Gear Head
I'd imagine the top mount intercooler for one. Yes, it would make 330bhp if required but the hest soak in the standard intercooler would quickly reduce that figure. Also, that amount of torque really does put the standard 5 speed under strain. I completely understand his way of thinking. Improve the power and driveability of his car whilst at the same time increasing the safety margin.

Smart bloke. May be more builds should be done like this rather than chasing horse power all the time. It isn't usually long before such owners start complainng about engine/gearbox/braking issues when an otherwise standard impreza is fitted with said mods.
Ah, someone who understands!

I can report that there have been no problems at all since the mods were done and it is still running sweet as a nut and was able to show a clean pair of tail pipes to a well driven '09 M3 at Bedford Aerodrome a couple of weeks ago.

Bigger top mount on the way soon along with larger custom scoop and ducting/heat protection. Will post pics when they have been made!