Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Apexi power fc ecu

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2014, 08:58 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Apexi power fc ecu

Been looking into buying a apexi power fc ecu for my 1998 turbo classic

Just got few questions if i bought one for v3-v4 if it was used on a JDM model can it be used on a UK model with remap of course?
Old 01 August 2014, 09:29 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

with a remap would be fine. andy stevens is a member here pm him to know for sure bud.
Old 01 August 2014, 11:16 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think so but you might have to swap a wire or two but why not get an esl, alot better tbh. i had a powerfc and went to an esl, better idle, knock control,twin maps and lots more
Old 01 August 2014, 11:23 PM
DazS78
Scooby Newbie

Where is ESL?
Old 02 August 2014, 12:51 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Yea looked into esl, but thought if can buy complete ecu for around same price as esl, as esl needs wiring in, which costs extra if Andy does it, think need send off my ecu to keep it coded to keys aswell. Not sure just thinking of options.
Old 02 August 2014, 01:01 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

im getting esl and apexi mixed up lol. andy stevens deals with esl if thats a route your considering. the apexi could be reset but the base map is for 99 ron jap fuel im sure so would def need mapped.
Old 02 August 2014, 03:23 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Talk to whoever is going to map it. Mine didn't have an immobiliser so it the ecu was just swapped over then mapped.

Powerfc was alright in its day but a bit old and basic now.
Old 02 August 2014, 07:38 AM
white noise
Scooby Regular

Ive got the apexi FC ecu fitted to my v5 sti wagon, it was fitted before i got the car and has been a great ecu, runing 375/352

I will be having this removed next month as im having a dccd 6 speed set up and Alcatek ecu fitted
Old 02 August 2014, 09:45 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Yea looked into esl, but thought if can buy complete ecu for around same price as esl, as esl needs wiring in, which costs extra if Andy does it, think need send off my ecu to keep it coded to keys aswell. Not sure just thinking of options.

i think the price for having a esl soldered in is not worth worrying about when it offers so much more for comparable or even less money than some jokers are selling apexi's for on ebay, unless the apexi is cheap and i mean really cheap i wouldn't bother, as for immobiliser i believe that can retained with the esl or tuned off.
Old 03 August 2014, 12:35 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Yes Andy said he could retain it but would need ECU, as most people turn it off, which seems odd, prefer to know my scooby extra secure
Old 03 August 2014, 07:54 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes Andy said he could retain it but would need ECU, as most people turn it off, which seems odd, prefer to know my scooby extra secure
I believe ESL have a really fast turn around,when you send your ecu in they solder in the board and have it posted back out on the same day,this would mean you could retain your immobiliser and get your ecu back very quickly. They also have really good instructions on how to solder it in yourself if you are confident enough or have a mate who is handy with a soldering iron.
Old 03 August 2014, 10:02 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

The Apexi doesn't have an immobiliser, ESL can retain it but most people don't have it and it was only on UK models.

A secondhand Apexi will come without warranty or support and people often advertise them at more than a new ESL board. ESL installation on a 97/8 is £25+VAT.

The Apexi PFC also requires an AVCR for proper boost control. THe AVCR on it's own is more than an ESL board.

Advantages of an ESL board over the Apexi include but are not limited to MAFless load, knock control, twin maps, diagnostics, 3d boost control and with the motorsports pack Anti Lag, Traction Control, Launch Control and Flat Foot Shifting.

The ESL also comes with OEM maps installed so you can run it without any problem prior to mapping.
Old 03 August 2014, 10:09 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Forgot to answer your original question. You would need to rewire cam, crank and fuel pump inputs on the Apexi. You don't have to do this with ESL.
Old 03 August 2014, 02:57 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Lol well answered, so if i sent me ecu to you, you could retain imobliser, wire esl up for me, and add 2 OEM maps?
Old 03 August 2014, 03:07 PM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Cant beat ESL, And Andy is a guru I'm sure will help out with any questions!! Very hard to beat.
Old 05 August 2014, 11:47 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I nearly went the pfc route but opted for the esl instead. Did the board install myself and have mapped it too. Small adjustments over time, taking logs as I gol

You just need a wideband and det cans. Oh, and a boat load of reading and fidling.

Good fun btw.

Last edited by Welloilbeefhooked; 07 August 2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06 August 2014, 12:15 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
I nearly went the pfc route but opted for the esl instead. Did the board install myself and have mapped it too. Small adjustments over time, taking logs as I gol

Just need a wideband and det cans. Oh, and a boat load of reading and fidling.

Good fun btw.
As I know you are one of the successful DIY mappers your posts are ones I like to keep an eye on(not in a stalking way lol) I wasn't 100% sure you were able to map without a wideband or det cans,this is good news and means I will be mapping sooner than I thought
Am i right in thinking that the esl has knock detection onboard and any knocks and dets would be logged with the software? There are some good online guides on making a pair of det cans or will you be going for the electronic ones?

Last edited by ossett2k2; 06 August 2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06 August 2014, 12:55 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You shouldnt map without wideband and detcans really.Dont think you can beat the good old tried and tested Det cans, a length of hose, ear defenders and a copper tube at the end to connect to engine block, i toyed with the idea of electronic det cans but alot reported back interference and the hose method i think is easier to make.
Old 06 August 2014, 01:33 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
You shouldnt map without wideband and detcans really.Dont think you can beat the good old tried and tested Det cans, a length of hose, ear defenders and a copper tube at the end to connect to engine block, i toyed with the idea of electronic det cans but alot reported back interference and the hose method i think is easier to make.
the det cans look an easy build and the wideband doesn't look too expensive,from what I've read they give better afr readings so makes sense
Old 06 August 2014, 08:05 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I have mechanical det cans as rig has suggested above. There are quiet a few wideband o2 kits out there but I use the innovate lc-2 with gauge. Cost £150 del.

You really need one that you can log from as gauge watching whilst mapping isn't advisable.

As a diy mapper its all about small changes, logging data and analysing it, and making more small changes.

The best option for anyone worried about damaging their engine or not wanting to spend hours on end reading up and playing with the software is to have it mapped professionally.
Old 06 August 2014, 09:03 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

The best option for anyone worried about damaging their engine or not wanting to spend hours on end reading up and playing with the software is to have it mapped professionally.
I can't wait to get my hands on the esl,apart from saving money every time I do a mod and getting the car to run the way I want it to it sounds like fun
Do you know if the esl software runs ok on windows xp or will I need to update?
Old 06 August 2014, 10:08 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I run it on xp and 8 with no issues
Old 06 August 2014, 01:41 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

wideband and detcans mean nothing to me so guessing should get a mapper to do it
Old 06 August 2014, 06:50 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

wideband and detcans mean nothing to me so guessing should get a mapper to do it
Yes, unless you spend the time to find out. I still only understand it on a basic level and only work from an existing map. If I had to start with a setup I didn't know I would be stumped. At least the esl was supplied with the correct oe basemap for my car.

Last edited by Welloilbeefhooked; 06 August 2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06 August 2014, 06:53 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
As I know you are one of the successful DIY mappers your posts are ones I like to keep an eye on(not in a stalking way lol) I wasn't 100% sure you were able to map without a wideband or det cans,this is good news and means I will be mapping sooner than I thought
Am i right in thinking that the esl has knock detection onboard and any knocks and dets would be logged with the software? There are some good online guides on making a pair of det cans or will you be going for the electronic ones?
Successful? I would reserve that until I have got it right and NOT blown my engine!
Old 06 August 2014, 07:10 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Successful? I would reserve that until I have got it right and NOT blown my engine!
From what I have read,the likes of you,the rig,toneh and many more are successfully map/tweaking you own cars with good results. I'm not saying all DIY mappers will become as good as well known pro mappers but you certainly come across as you are are as confident as the average mobile mapper if not more so. Especially after reading toneh's thread 'the great mapping rip off',I'm upto page 11 and it's all starting to kick off great read so far
And the rig's thread which I have followed from the start and actually got me thinking about self mapping