Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

ESOC @ Rally Day, Castle Combe - Saturday 20th September 2014

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2014, 09:26 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BROOKS1E
i may be grovelling next year to get on another clubs stand if i cant press gang more members to go

cheers

Pete (Beds and Bucks Scoobys)
May come to combining clubs to get viable numbers?

JohnD
Old 29 September 2014, 10:19 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Tbf it is a long way for you guys to come, I expect that puts quite a few off
Old 29 September 2014, 10:57 PM
BROOKS1E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnD
May come to combining clubs to get viable numbers?

JohnD
Originally Posted by IainMilford
Tbf it is a long way for you guys to come, I expect that puts quite a few off
John..............this is something that we have thought about in the past especially at shows such as the Uxbridge car show etc which we couldnt get enough interest in this year So we may be open to offers and vice versa from other clubs which is fine as long as the clubs involved can keep their own identities

Ian............ as we are not a very big club we do struggle to fill stand space unless its at Santa Pod which is on most of our members door steps as i think in this day and age people cant afford to drive any great distance due to the cost of fuel, but i dont feel that Castle Combe is that far from where we are based its about 2 and quarter hours (110 or so miles depending on what route) and driving to and from the shows is all part of the day for me any way but then thats me all over
Old 30 September 2014, 10:58 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Ha,ha...................Yeah, 13 quid for the ticket and 70 quid for fuel!

JohnD
Old 30 September 2014, 10:36 PM
BROOKS1E
Scooby Regular

Ha,ha...................Yeah, 13 quid for the ticket and 70 quid for fuel!

JohnD
Thats true John, but to be honest if we added up the cost every time we used our cars we wouldnt keep them very long, and you dont exactly own an Impreza for its fuel economy its like when i do a track day, if i sat down and added up the total cost of the day (and i usually go to Bedford as its on my doorstep so not far, altho i have been to a few others) i wouldnt have gone more than once, but the thrill of the day far outweighs the cost of the day for me but i do understand where people cant afford to go to track days or shows that are a bit of a distance but the other side of the coin is why own a car like an Impreza if your only going to go very short distances in it due to the MPG,maybe its just me but i enjoy using my car and i get my monies worth out of it,yes i may be fortunate in that i can afford to do these things but i work bloody hard and so i get the benefits of it.
sorry if i got off topic there
Old 01 October 2014, 10:27 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BROOKS1E
Thats true John, but to be honest if we added up the cost every time we used our cars we wouldnt keep them very long, and you dont exactly own an Impreza for its fuel economy its like when i do a track day, if i sat down and added up the total cost of the day (and i usually go to Bedford as its on my doorstep so not far, altho i have been to a few others) i wouldnt have gone more than once, but the thrill of the day far outweighs the cost of the day for me but i do understand where people cant afford to go to track days or shows that are a bit of a distance but the other side of the coin is why own a car like an Impreza if your only going to go very short distances in it due to the MPG,maybe its just me but i enjoy using my car and i get my monies worth out of it,yes i may be fortunate in that i can afford to do these things but i work bloody hard and so i get the benefits of it.
sorry if i got off topic there
Agree with that.
Bedford is a bit fuel happy! There and back from Romford plus the trackday gave me around 12mpg!
The cost of fuel fortunately, is not a real issue as it's not a daily driver.
Just to put things in to perspective, being of a 'certain age' I remember back in the 60's having a Vauxhall VX4/90 (1508cc 'hot' version of the Victor) that returned 25-26mpg and a Rover 2000TC (110bhp) that gave similar results and needed 100octane fuel! The fuel efficiency of modern cars is amazing when you compare the performance of then and now!

JohnD
Old 01 October 2014, 08:17 PM
BROOKS1E
Scooby Regular

Agree with that.
Bedford is a bit fuel happy! There and back from Romford plus the trackday gave me around 12mpg!
The cost of fuel fortunately, is not a real issue as it's not a daily driver.
Just to put things in to perspective, being of a 'certain age' I remember back in the 60's having a Vauxhall VX4/90 (1508cc 'hot' version of the Victor) that returned 25-26mpg and a Rover 2000TC (110bhp) that gave similar results and needed 100octane fuel! The fuel efficiency of modern cars is amazing when you compare the performance of then and now!

JohnD
Im not far behind you John in the `certain age' grouping ....i started driving in `77 and i had what was considered reasonably quick cars.....Cortina mk3 1600 GT.............Capri 3ltr GXL..........Granada 2.8 GL (yes i was a Ford man ) and to be honest i cant remember what the mpg was for any of them, but then again i guess that was because fuel was cheaper (in relationship to today`s cost of living etc) and i was a young buck who didnt worry about money, pensions or mortgages so i never gave the fuel economy a 2nd thought i just filled them up and off i went
i agree with you about Bedford being a thirsty track but if you do the GT circuit (its the only one i will do ) its hardly surprising the fuel empties surprisingly quickly, but i do think its a really good track as its very safe should you have an off etc and for first timers i think its an ideal track to cut their teeth on.

Last edited by BROOKS1E; 01 October 2014 at 08:28 PM.