Notices

500+hp STi budget build recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2014, 01:28 PM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 500+hp STi budget build recommendations.

Hi there,
I considering doing a 500+hp budget build on a daily driven blobeye STi Type UK, maybe a JDM if I can find one cheap enough. Here are a few things which I have thought of so far (assuming that it is standard):

Engine:
Some say that the blob STi engine can handle 500hp but just to be on the safe side a forged build would probably be ideal.
- 2.1 Stroker from Advanced Automotives
http://www.advancedautomotives.com/b...vcs-1407-p.asp
On top of this I would get an upgraded oil pump either a 11m or 12mm and some s/s head-gaskets such as Cosworth or cometic. Also arp bolts, I think 14mm would do?

Radiator - Not sure if this will be needed but they are not that expensive:
https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...group-buy.html

Injectors - I'm unsure which cc to go for and what site have the best deals.

Induction kit - I would prefer to get an induction kit which was positioned in the wing to keep temps lower although a bigger one may not fit. But a cold air feed would be installed aswell.

Intercooler: FMIC from 2fast2Cool2 (who buy from Japspeed).

Exhaust: Full decat and unequal manifold from 2fast2Cool2.

Fuel pump- RCM 340lph?

Remap- Unsure on exact prices and wheres best to go in kent.

Turbo- From Kinugawa:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbocharg...item19bb0f3e3e
I'll probably get a billet compressor wheel, adjustable actuator and anti-surge kit fitted if needed.

Brakes:
Maybe something such as K-sports (6/8 pot) unless there are better companies for similar value.

Suspension:
Unsure on what to get here I was thinking coilovers but the car will be daily driven so not the best idea.

There are probably bits I have forgotten but any recommendations on parts and prices or knowledge will be greatly appreciated .

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.

Last edited by User 21721; 15 April 2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 15 April 2014, 01:36 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

My advice get friendly with your bank manager Lol,on a serious note the miscellaneous parts on my own build added up to 3k,So make sure you just plan everything out,down to the last nut and bolt.SJ.
Old 15 April 2014, 02:08 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel pump will want a swirl pot and an external unit if you are going to drive it hard as fuel surge/starvation is not a good thing to experience
Old 15 April 2014, 02:09 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

I think you need to put a call in to one of the well known engine builders, discuss it with them and then you will start to get a grip on the scale of the work you are having undertaken, and that your car will be off the road for quite some weeks.

There are quite a few big power build threads here which you should read, for example this one, ok so it is much bigger power than you want, but look at the forecast cost too!

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...e-warning.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=15

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...5-project.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...e-hawkeye.html
Old 15 April 2014, 02:26 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by Subaru Collector 555
Hi there,
I considering doing a 500+hp budget build on a daily driven blobeye STi Type UK, maybe a JDM if I can find one cheap enough. Here are a few things which I have thought of so far (assuming that it is standard):

Engine:
Some say that the blob STi engine can handle 500hp but just to be on the safe side a forged build would probably be ideal.
- 2.1 Stroker from Advanced Automotives
http://www.advancedautomotives.com/b...vcs-1407-p.asp
On top of this I would get an upgraded oil pump either a 11m or 12mm and some s/s head-gaskets such as Cosworth or cometic. Also arp bolts, I think 14mm would do?

Radiator - Not sure if this will be needed but they are not that expensive:
https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...group-buy.html

Injectors - I'm unsure which cc to go for and what site have the best deals.

Induction kit - I would prefer to get an induction kit which was positioned in the wing to keep temps lower although a bigger one may not fit. But a cold air feed would be installed aswell.

Intercooler: FMIC from 2fast2Cool2 (who buy from Japspeed).

Exhaust: Full decat and unequal manifold from 2fast2Cool2.

Fuel pump- RCM 340lph?

Remap- Unsure on exact prices and wheres best to go in kent.

Turbo- From Kinugawa:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbocharg...item19bb0f3e3e
I'll probably get a billet compressor wheel, adjustable actuator and anti-surge kit fitted if needed.

Brakes:
Maybe something such as K-sports (6/8 pot) unless there are better companies for similar value.

Suspension:
Unsure on what to get here I was thinking coilovers but the car will be daily driven so not the best idea.

There are probably bits I have forgotten but any recommendations on parts and prices or knowledge will be greatly appreciated .

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
Hi..

I get where you're coming from, but for success I'd recommend a few changes there.
Firstly, lower your sights power wise. 450 bhp is actually a sensible target when 500 bhp plus may not be. Most people have never sat in a Scooby with 450 bhp and are usually very surprised when they do.
A 2.1 stroker is a good place to start, although getting one in kit form is only part of the answer.
An RCM 11mm pump is good enough for most applications.
14mm head studs aren't needed for 450 bhp. (You're saving money already!)
A good condition stock radiator is fine.
We would use 750 Deatschwerks injectors and have done with.
We don't bother with "cold air feed kits", neither do RCM.
A budget intercooler is fine, but don't buy a budget manifold, you'd regret that big style. RCM only for us.
340lph is ok for 450 bhp.
Mapping, you have a few choices for visitors such as JGM, Duncan Graham or Bob Rawle. We'd want to use our dyno if it came to us.
The TD06 is pants. You'd be better off with an SC46 or similar from Turbo Dynamics.

Best wishes!
Old 15 April 2014, 02:27 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I've already used this once this week - "Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick two."
Old 15 April 2014, 02:31 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Not much cost difference between 400-500, but once you go over 500 then its a different ball game cost wise lol

Last edited by banny sti; 15 April 2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 15 April 2014, 02:45 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Not much cost differnece between 400-500, but once you go over 500 then its a different ball game cost wise lol
Yup, including running costs, things breaking, everything is FAR more expensive
Old 15 April 2014, 02:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Hi..

I get where you're coming from, but for success I'd recommend a few changes there.
Firstly, lower your sights power wise. 450 bhp is actually a sensible target when 500 bhp plus may not be. Most people have never sat in a Scooby with 450 bhp and are usually very surprised when they do.
A 2.1 stroker is a good place to start, although getting one in kit form is only part of the answer.
An RCM 11mm pump is good enough for most applications.
14mm head studs aren't needed for 450 bhp. (You're saving money already!)
A good condition stock radiator is fine.
We would use 750 Deatschwerks injectors and have done with.
We don't bother with "cold air feed kits", neither do RCM.
A budget intercooler is fine, but don't buy a budget manifold, you'd regret that big style. RCM only for us.
340lph is ok for 450 bhp.
Mapping, you have a few choices for visitors such as JGM, Duncan Graham or Bob Rawle. We'd want to use our dyno if it came to us.
The TD06 is pants. You'd be better off with an SC46 or similar from Turbo Dynamics.

Best wishes!
^^^^ What he said ^^^^^

You're not going to want to hear this, but budget and 500bhp do not go together.

You're looking at 1.5k for just the turbo for those kind of power levels, add that to the engine build and other ancilliaries and you're looking at a 5 figure amount!

I had a 470bhp Hawk and it was utterly brilliant and very reliable (aside from the odd hose or sensor) But at that level, cheap these cars are not!

Ns04
Old 15 April 2014, 03:07 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a nice low miles JDM STI for around £10k then it's front mount, injectors, turbo, fuel pump, CIA and you'll see 460bhp for less hassle, most reliable and minimum cash outlay.

Quickest, easiest, way to a reliable 450+.
Old 15 April 2014, 03:12 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Wow 500bhp good luck wish I could do that it sound like its going to be a grate car
Old 15 April 2014, 03:50 PM
SAM-UK300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
I've already used this once this week - "Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick two."
I like that...
Old 15 April 2014, 07:17 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
^^^^ What he said ^^^^^

You're not going to want to hear this, but budget and 500bhp do not go together.

You're looking at 1.5k for just the turbo for those kind of power levels, add that to the engine build and other ancilliaries and you're looking at a 5 figure amount!

I had a 470bhp Hawk and it was utterly brilliant and very reliable (aside from the odd hose or sensor) But at that level, cheap these cars are not!

Ns04
And don't forget a rebuild/refresh after 20k miles....
Old 15 April 2014, 08:40 PM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

The only way to keep costs down is by using good quality second hand parts and doing the work yourself. It is better to buy used quality parts than cheap new parts if moneys an issue.
Some things you can't skimp on, if you can't build the engine yourself use a trusted known builder not a cheap one. Same with engine mapping.
Old 15 April 2014, 09:15 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

your going to need to budget for a decent clutch to handle the power too.twin plate exedy is nice to use as a daily driver.
Old 15 April 2014, 10:17 PM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the comments guys

I think budget was the wrong word to use but my aim of this build will be to try and not overspend on parts which may only be slightly beneficial compared to other variants. I still want to buy an R35 GTR later on so I don't want to spend the equivalent or exceed the amount needed to purchase one. Although, I completely understand that expensive parts will need to be purchased at some point and they will.

I am going to aim for 450-500hp which should be plenty of power. I would prefer to get a blob JDM STi although I wouldn't mind a decent Type UK.

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
Old 15 April 2014, 10:49 PM
Type_R_1984
Scooby Regular

2.1 stroker with a rotated billet gt30 and supporting mods should see good figures.
Old 16 April 2014, 02:41 PM
New_scooby_04

I think budget was the wrong word to use but my aim of this build will be to try and not overspend on parts which may only be slightly beneficial compared to other variants. I still want to buy an R35 GTR later on so I don't want to spend the equivalent or exceed the amount needed to purchase one. Although, I completely understand that expensive parts will need to be purchased at some point and they will.

I am going to aim for 450-500hp which should be plenty of power. I would prefer to get a blob JDM STi although I wouldn't mind a decent Type UK.

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
You might want to take a look at what Shaun achieved with a JDM type 20 Impreza from Litchfield in the project section without having to take the engine to bits etc....

You really need to get a ride in a 400bhp car. A law of diminishing returns kicks in very quickly with these cars above a certain point. There is little point in spending thousands extra for 50bhp when you would have been perfectly happy with how the one with 50bhp less went.

A well modified JDM scooby is a very quick car!
Old 16 April 2014, 03:21 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
Seems like a pointless exercise if you are just going to get rid of it in the end for a GTR, save the money and get the GTR sooner.
Old 16 April 2014, 04:47 PM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
You might want to take a look at what Shaun achieved with a JDM type 20 Impreza from Litchfield in the project section without having to take the engine to bits etc....

You really need to get a ride in a 400bhp car. A law of diminishing returns kicks in very quickly with these cars above a certain point. There is little point in spending thousands extra for 50bhp when you would have been perfectly happy with how the one with 50bhp less went.
A well modified JDM scooby is a very quick car!
Exactly, a JDM is a very quick car but I currently have a classic with 350hp aswell, I know that a JDM blob and a classic are completely different. If I go down the route of buying a JDM I may remap to 400hp to start off with to see whether I will want more.
Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Seems like a pointless exercise if you are just going to get rid of it in the end for a GTR, save the money and get the GTR sooner.
I wouldn't sell the blobeye even when I buy a GTR, it just won't be driven around as much
EDIT: Would you say around 480hp would be 'safe' to run on a JDM/Type UK STi on standard internals?

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.

Last edited by User 21721; 16 April 2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 16 April 2014, 05:00 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

How long is a piece of string? Some people have had their engines give up at standard power, some have done massive power...

You are talking a complete unknown, and it will give in eventually.

Bare in mind I am running a 500+bhp subaru, and the cost is exorbitant. Trust me. It has spent the last 6 months in the garage and hasnt moved. Between turbo rebuilds, gearbox rebuilds, body work, work, life and everything else that happens in between it will more than likely spend more time off the road than on it...
Old 16 April 2014, 05:04 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Even at 480 you are pushing the limits.
Torque will be what kills your engine. I know the JDMs are stronger than UK models, but I was warned by a well known Subaru tuner that 380ft/lbs is the safe limit on UK con rods. At 480 it will be safer than 500, but it's still a question of time.
Old 17 April 2014, 12:20 PM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Rebuild a STI with 2.1 Stroker parts, Blouch DOM3.5 or GT30 should get you close.
STI 6 speed will be up to the task.
Twin plate clutch as someone already mentioned.

I have a 390hp classic and its scary fast for a street car! 500hp might be a bit of a animal!