Notices

Loud exhausts and the law???

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2014, 09:42 PM
Brett-wv14
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud exhausts and the law???

Has anyone been pulled for a loud exhaust ? And what can they do??? Im removing all cats and goin straight through pipe. If my ears can handle it not sure how loud it may be.
Old 21 April 2014, 09:46 PM
rb5 stu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What backbox are you gonna use?
Old 21 April 2014, 09:53 PM
Brett-wv14
Scooby Regular

I already have afterburner raptor im gonna go 3" all the way.
Old 21 April 2014, 10:29 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

do a thread search for just got a nip on here, but condensed a uk car must be less than 89db. a import with sva test cert is allowed to allowed to be up to 101db see section 44 sub paragraph f of the rta 1988.
Old 21 April 2014, 10:52 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same set up on my classic, 107db at idle. I got a few looks from police that weren't able to pursue, it was only a matter of time so I sold my set up
Old 22 April 2014, 07:44 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Yes I have been done, and it isnt the RTA that they use to do it, it is an anti social behaviour thing they use. Less than 90db or you get shafted with a £30 fine the first time, if they get you again then they start proceedings to issue a section (44? i think it is)

Then you wind up with an asbo!

I had the same argument about my car when he pulled me as it read 91.1db so should have been well under the limit.

I dont actually see why people want their imprezas to sound like a tank at all. Plenty of good exhaust that are a sensible level of noise and sound brilliant when you open it up without you sounding like a tool when you plod around town.

And you will never get on a track day with an exhaust at 107db either, most tracks have a 90db limit
Old 22 April 2014, 10:44 AM
Scooby Senior

I only put mine on for the annual tunnel run, was too loud for anything else. Most of the time I run a track system 93 db at 5k revs
Old 22 April 2014, 11:47 AM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Mine is stupidly loud, not even sure what manufacture mine is, but i have my standard backbox in the garage, so on the day of the police pulling me and giving me a free MOT i have it to put it back on.

thanks
Old 22 April 2014, 12:34 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Yes I have been done, and it isnt the RTA that they use to do it, it is an anti social behaviour thing they use. Less than 90db or you get shafted with a £30 fine the first time, if they get you again then they start proceedings to issue a section (44? i think it is)

Then you wind up with an asbo!

I had the same argument about my car when he pulled me as it read 91.1db so should have been well under the limit.

I dont actually see why people want their imprezas to sound like a tank at all. Plenty of good exhaust that are a sensible level of noise and sound brilliant when you open it up without you sounding like a tool when you plod around town.

And you will never get on a track day with an exhaust at 107db either, most tracks have a 90db limit
You will never ever get an Asbo for a loud exhaust.

Maybe you are talking about a section 59 notice? With these you get a warning and then on a second occassion a section 59 against the car or driver. This means if the car or you in another car are involved in anti social behavior again the car can be seized. However... just having a loud exhaust is not really what this is designed for. It's more for people doing anti social driving.

Fines have recently gone up and I believe all £30 ones are now £50 and all £60 are now £100. I believe there is a £50 fine for exhaust related issues or you could get a VDRS where you have to get the issue resolved within 14 days and stamped at an MOT tester.

Last edited by FMJ; 22 April 2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 22 April 2014, 12:51 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
You will never ever get an Asbo for a loud exhaust.

Maybe you are talking about a section 59 notice? With these you get a warning and then on a second occassion a section 59 against the car or driver. This means if the car or you in another car are involved in anti social behavior again the car can be seized. However... just having a loud exhaust is not really what this is designed for. It's more for people doing anti social driving.

Fines have recently gone up and I believe all £30 ones are now £50 and all £60 are now £100. I believe there is a £50 fine for exhaust related issues or you could get a VDRS where you have to get the issue resolved within 14 days and stamped at an MOT tester.

No, I do mean an asbo, I had the argument with the officer and the areas senior traffic officer.

If the residents of the area have been complaining about loud exhausts it is well within the polices powers to issue warnings and fines for people who are commiting the disturbance, albeit it wasnt me.

Commiting a disturbance wether it be road related or a neighbour with loud music they do have the powers to stop you and take action
Old 22 April 2014, 01:25 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

No, I do mean an asbo, I had the argument with the officer and the areas senior traffic officer.

If the residents of the area have been complaining about loud exhausts it is well within the polices powers to issue warnings and fines for people who are commiting the disturbance, albeit it wasnt me.

Commiting a disturbance wether it be road related or a neighbour with loud music they do have the powers to stop you and take action
Maybe if your entire estate complains about you on a regular basis and there is a wealth of evidence to put before a court with statements from people effected and other measures having been put in place that fail then maybe yes you could get an asbo.... But as for just being stopped at the road side (I believe this is the original issue) it's never going to happen. An Asbo (despite what people think about them due to the media) is not an easy thing to get and are not used for minor issues or spontaneous enforcement. It takes months and lots of evidence.
Old 22 April 2014, 04:01 PM
Brett-wv14
Scooby Regular

Its not that i want it so loud i want to do it to get rid of the cats. Im just assuming thats when it gets ridiculously loud.
Old 22 April 2014, 04:31 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

What about supercars?? Surely a standard Ferrari Enzo, Pagani Zonda, Porsche carrera GT are all very loud in standard form, do these get exempt because they are flash, loud and in your face cars!!!

Blitz nur spec sounds awesome on a Impreza, think thats about as loud I would go, ive had the RCM team ice exhaust and its embarrassing more then anything!!!
Old 22 April 2014, 04:45 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
Maybe if your entire estate complains about you on a regular basis and there is a wealth of evidence to put before a court with statements from people effected and other measures having been put in place that fail then maybe yes you could get an asbo.... But as for just being stopped at the road side (I believe this is the original issue) it's never going to happen. An Asbo (despite what people think about them due to the media) is not an easy thing to get and are not used for minor issues or spontaneous enforcement. It takes months and lots of evidence.
That is why they use the warning/fine system. If the estate has complained about car noise, the police are obliged to do something about it, and they have powers to deal with it.

Regardless of specific individuals they will be cracking down on all cars in the area of the complaint with a noisy exhaust
Old 23 April 2014, 12:45 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

That is why they use the warning/fine system. If the estate has complained about car noise, the police are obliged to do something about it, and they have powers to deal with it.

Regardless of specific individuals they will be cracking down on all cars in the area of the complaint with a noisy exhaust
Not sure where this fine system comes from? The only fines I know of are road traffic offences dealt with by fixed penalty notices either endorsable or non-endorsable or Penalty notices for disorder which cover things like public order, theft, drugs, criminal damage etc none are vehicle related.

I would be interested to know what you can be fined with if it's not a road traffic offence. There is no offence of anti social behavior and no ticket system.

P.s. not arguing the point just interested to know.
Old 23 April 2014, 01:29 AM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

In my opinion decatting will be one of the best things you do. You will require a remap though. (Scooby Clinic)

We have a straight through 3" pipe from the turbo with 5" exit. It is quite very loud in my opinion but i must stress (I love it) i have owned MY04 for over a year now and not even been pulled.

Getting pulled over is quite a thing of the past unless your driving illegal or irratic or driving a shed on wheels ofcourse.

I'd worry more about your emissions and make sure you have MOT to do the job ;-) before you proceed, unless ofcourse you plan to revert back once a year when the MOT comes round.

I've just mine ready for tomorrow's MOT and I incidentally took a short vid of the sound at idle with a few revs so I will point you in the right direction to the vid once uploaded, this way you can hear what your about experience once complete.

JS
Old 23 April 2014, 06:24 AM
Brett-wv14
Scooby Regular

Interested in hearing this video.
Old 23 April 2014, 08:21 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
Not sure where this fine system comes from? The only fines I know of are road traffic offences dealt with by fixed penalty notices either endorsable or non-endorsable or Penalty notices for disorder which cover things like public order, theft, drugs, criminal damage etc none are vehicle related.

I would be interested to know what you can be fined with if it's not a road traffic offence. There is no offence of anti social behavior and no ticket system.

P.s. not arguing the point just interested to know.
I will try find the paperwork for you and get the info off it. Anti social behaviour can result in fines, the problem is who decides what is anti social?

Its a joke, and I just paid up because I couldnt be arsed with having the argument with the guy about it because if I went to court and won (Which I would have as he did the noise test wrong, and numerous other things)

Then I would take it to VOSA and then they would inspect the exhaust and I would end up failing the emmissions etc....

Originally Posted by JensonsScooby
In my opinion decatting will be one of the best things you do. You will require a remap though. (Scooby Clinic)

We have a straight through 3" pipe from the turbo with 5" exit. It is quite very loud in my opinion but i must stress (I love it) i have owned MY04 for over a year now and not even been pulled.

Getting pulled over is quite a thing of the past unless your driving illegal or irratic or driving a shed on wheels ofcourse.

I'd worry more about your emissions and make sure you have MOT to do the job ;-) before you proceed, unless ofcourse you plan to revert back once a year when the MOT comes round.

I've just mine ready for tomorrow's MOT and I incidentally took a short vid of the sound at idle with a few revs so I will point you in the right direction to the vid once uploaded, this way you can hear what your about experience once complete.

JS
How is it a thing of the past? The police are getting ever less budgets, and have to bring in their own revenue to pay for their fancy jag patrol cars etc. So this will be brought in by speeding/mobile phones/any other excuse they can find to pull you over and nick you.

I was doing less than 25mph cooling the engine down on the way to my friends work to pick up some oil for an oil change, that is less than 2.5k revs in 3rd, and my car definitely isnt a shed. So how does that logic work? Just because you havent been pulled doesnt mean the law are not targetting motorists with exhausts etc, so I wouldnt offer that up as advice.

I would also point out that when he stopped me, he questioned wether I was wearing a seatbelt (4 point harness) and said I must have put it on while he was walking over, you try and do up a 4 point harness discreetly?!?!

He checked all my insurance details including modifications.

He checked all my tyres

He checked literally everything, before settling on an anti social behaviour fine. I just took it on the chin because I had just given it a spirited drive to my mates work, the exhaust was still pinging when I got out of his car 25 minutes later...
Old 23 April 2014, 12:18 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

How is it a thing of the past? The police are getting ever less budgets, and have to bring in their own revenue to pay for their fancy jag patrol cars etc. So this will be brought in by speeding/mobile phones/any other excuse they can find to pull you over and nick you.
Just to clarify the Police don't get the money from fines. It's local government.

Most Police cars are bargain basement Astra or focus diesels most are heavily laden and only 80-90hp. If anything they are under speced. The only departments that get better vehicles are advanced (higher then basic response and pursuit) drivers who are expected to make ground from a stand still on a car travelling past at 70mph and over before it disappears. They are also required to be able to be used in pursuits and containment which would be impossible in low speced cars. These officers are the ones who when needed will be dealing with high level crime and to be honest they should have the best kit available. The criminals certainly do have. There are other issues such as home office approval too.
Old 23 April 2014, 01:27 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

I will try find the paperwork for you and get the info off it. Anti social behaviour can result in fines, the problem is who decides what is anti social?

Its a joke, and I just paid up because I couldnt be arsed with having the argument with the guy about it because if I went to court and won (Which I would have as he did the noise test wrong, and numerous other things)

Then I would take it to VOSA and then they would inspect the exhaust and I would end up failing the emmissions etc....

I was doing less than 25mph cooling the engine down on the way to my friends work to pick up some oil for an oil change, that is less than 2.5k revs in 3rd, and my car definitely isnt a shed. So how does that logic work? Just because you havent been pulled doesnt mean the law are not targetting motorists with exhausts etc, so I wouldnt offer that up as advice.

I would also point out that when he stopped me, he questioned wether I was wearing a seatbelt (4 point harness) and said I must have put it on while he was walking over, you try and do up a 4 point harness discreetly?!?!

He checked all my insurance details including modifications.

He checked all my tyres

He checked literally everything, before settling on an anti social behaviour fine. I just took it on the chin because I had just given it a spirited drive to my mates work, the exhaust was still pinging when I got out of his car 25 minutes later...

Standard police patrol vehicles do not generally pull over vehicles ANYMORE. Why do you think ANPR was introduced, simply to free up officers and capital.

vehicles/people pulled over nowadays by a standard patrol obvisiously look dodgy in someway or another.
Old 23 April 2014, 01:35 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I never said I was pulled over by a normal patrol car?

And that is complete rubbish, normal patrol cars will pull over just as many people as anything else, I find they are generally more of a nuisance than the traffic officers as the traffic pigs leave you alone if they know they cant touch you where as a normal pig will try it on
Old 23 April 2014, 03:13 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

as above they are the ones who know jack **** about cars, even less than traffic plod, if your car is a import with a sva test just claim section 44 sub paragraph f 1988rta DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY OFFICER this vehicle was never made for uk use and as such is not subject to sections 40-42 of the 1988rta READ YOUR OWN RULE BOOK AND WEEP PLOD worked for me, my case got dropped cps read the rules and decided plod was a asshat and didn't know the rules
Old 23 April 2014, 03:16 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
as above they are the ones who know jack **** about cars, even less than traffic plod, if your car is a import with a sva test just claim section 44 sub paragraph f 1988rta DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY OFFICER this vehicle was never made for uk use and as such is not subject to sections 40-42 of the 1988rta READ YOUR OWN RULE BOOK AND WEEP PLOD worked for me, my case got dropped cps read the rules and decided plod was a asshat and didn't know the rules
This would not work on a subaru though as there is a UK equivalent, on my Starlet it worked fine because they have nothing to compare to, but they will base the subaru on the UKmodel
Old 23 April 2014, 03:38 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

This would not work on a subaru though as there is a UK equivalent, on my Starlet it worked fine because they have nothing to compare to, but they will base the subaru on the UKmodel
it does work, any motor vehicle not manufactored for uk or eu use ie any jdm import, any american muscle car, trabant etc is imune as per section 44 sub paragraph f of the 1988rta act, the only clause is you have to be able to supply copy of the origional sva test, i should know i got off using this simple rule, as for is the exhaust eu stamped your answer is why should it be officer it was made for use in japan, and japan is not part of the eu is it, if you are bored and don't believe me look up JUST GOT A NIP thread on here all the legal points are there for all to see, i did have to get alan jefferies to do a indipendant noise test, that closed the case before it even got to court