Notices

Auto levelling lights

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2014, 08:18 PM
the_baz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto levelling lights

I think one of the auto levelling sensors on my hawk has gone again as the headlights are shinning rights in front of the car with no distance if you know what I mean. I've had this before and eventually the warning light come on and in taking the front sensor off I found a pin on the sensor broke. But no warning light has come on yet. Is there any way of telling what sensor has gone down apart from trial and error (replacing on sensor at a time ) and also where can I get a new/second had one and a reasonable price as I no new ones are a stupid price

Thanks
James
Old 02 September 2014, 09:41 AM
corno
Scooby Regular

James I had this on my last hawkeye, what a pain. If the pin has broken then that's your problematic sensor. You can bodge it so as you melt further down the pin and then resolder some longer wire to create a new connection, assuming that the female part of the pin is okay. This is how I managed to rectify my old one, I bought a spare one off of here that's sat in the garage unused, send me a pm if you're interested.
Old 02 September 2014, 12:29 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

water can also get into the moving part and corrode there
Old 02 September 2014, 12:44 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I had this on my hawk. They are under the car attached to the suspension arms, look like little plastic arms. Locate these and spray them liberally with WD40. Did that to mine and the problem went away after a few days and has not returned to date!
Old 18 November 2014, 06:16 PM
wagon1
Scooby Newbie

Hmmm,
Having issues with mine too...
Have found the front sensor on drivers side. Is there nothing on the passanger side?
Also, where abouts is the rear sensor?
Cheers
Old 18 November 2014, 10:19 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Surely this system can be disabled by fixing the lights in the normal driving position and removing the sensors, motors and warning light? Obviously this would irresponsible if you tow as you would dazzle people but I am almost always on my own in my car and have no need for auto adjustment. Is there still a manual winder on the light to make small adjustments?
Old 18 November 2014, 11:03 PM
wagon1
Scooby Newbie

Not sure about disabling the system, plus you would then fail the MOT when the time came (new rgs) as it would set off the warning light on the dash.

The good news is that there is indeed still a manual adjust, with a large range of adjustment, both up/down and left/right.
Old 19 November 2014, 12:04 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

System only has 2 sensors, both on drivers side. One front, one back. Look inside wheel wells can't miss them they have moving arms going to them. Just spray all around the sensor connectors with WD40 to start with. Should drive any water out. If this doesn't work it might be the brain at the rear of the car.
Old 19 November 2014, 10:50 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wagon1
Not sure about disabling the system, plus you would then fail the MOT when the time came (new rgs) as it would set off the warning light on the dash.

The good news is that there is indeed still a manual adjust, with a large range of adjustment, both up/down and left/right.
The MOT tester is not going to load the car down or tow something to find out if the sensors effect the beam pattern. So as long as it's done well nobody would be any the wiser. The bulb in the dash is not a problem.