Notices

TGV (Tumble Generator Fault) Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2009, 08:27 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default TGV (Tumble Generator Fault) Help Please

Can anyone help please: My Car is currently in limp mode, I have it booked in for a checking over in a few days time. The car is a UK300 and i have only recently just purchased it with this problem (bought it a little cheaper due to the fault). The car has an onboard ecu reader and it informs we that i have a P1096 error code which i google to be a Tumble generator valve circuit #2 (open circuit). Can anyone assit on what i need to do now without it costing me huge amounts of money. I have seen this tgv delete but i was hoping to just hopefully replace a sensor, im also led to believe that the tgv switch is expensive from subaru, but you can apparantly use the throttle control switch as it is the same?!?!? Im unsure what to do for the best, but to add aother issue, the car ecu informs me that the car is overheating even though the standard dial on the dash is only half way. And today the car has been stood for a while but i decided to move it and it coughed quite a bit of white smoke out of the exhaust, does anyone think this could be related to the tgv issues? Thanks eveyone for the time to read and i would apprciate some advice. Regards Rob
Old 11 July 2009, 10:25 PM
cube320
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tgv went on my 2002 wrx. Cost me £50 fitted from central subaru in wolverhampton. Mine would make a very loud constant sqeeking sound.
Old 11 July 2009, 10:51 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

The air intake has tumble generator valves directly above the fuel injectors. When the engine is at idle, these valves close and bypass the incoming airflow through a passage to increase the swirl of the air/fuel mixture, resulting in an engine that operates more cleanly. Other benefits include easier cold starts, reduced emissions and efficient low-speed operation.

If jammed shut they could reduce air flow so lean out the mixture which would lead to overheating.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...uck-close.html

White smoke is usually steam/condensation coming from the exhaust. This can be just a build up of moisture from using the car for short journeys. Worse case would be head gasket gone but you would need a sniffer test to confirm.

Last edited by FLAT ERIC; 11 July 2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11 July 2009, 11:38 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

think this thread in wrong section ??
Old 11 July 2009, 11:43 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zeuss
think this thread in wrong section ??
lol.... you think?!
Old 11 July 2009, 11:45 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

well it confused me seein it here lol wasnt sure if i should say ought haha
Old 12 July 2009, 08:49 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys apologies if this thread is in the wrong place im new to this forum. Where should i have posted this thread? On a more important note, I appreciate all of you that have been helpful. Im having the car taken to the garage on Weds 15th/July. which is only a few days away, this is my third Impreza and i have never had such a problem before so im unsure how much it is likely to cost me!!!?!?! I read that i could use TPS part code 22633aa210 as a replacement for the TGV sensor as a new TGV sensor from Subaru is very expensive. All i know is that the problem is not somthing that i want to tackle personally, well not yet anyway. I use to be mechanically minded years ago and thought nothing of conducting an engine transplant myself, but now with all the sensors and additional brains im really put off messing with a car so precisely tuned. Im based in Lancashire BB18 area, and the nearest Subaru Garage is a good hour drive away, and with the car in limp mode i guess this is no goooer. I am very conserned about the overheating light on the ecu too. Who knows it might be a cheap fix, lets hope the P1096 is just a sensor issue. Thanks all

Last edited by Rob Day; 12 July 2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12 July 2009, 09:54 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TGV sensor is the same as the throttle sensor, so swapping them around could rule that out.
What code is the overheating for? Coolant or exhaust temp?
There are two sensors measuring coolant temp. One is for the dash gauge, the other is used by the ECU. The overheating could just be a faulty sensor.

Prosport in Stockport may be nearer to you and are well recommended.

nick
Old 12 July 2009, 11:30 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Hiya Nick, the ECU reader is reading ALL data from the ecu i think.....?? and on one of the option you can view the CT. The CT (cooling Temp i think) reads around 20c prior to starting the car, then as the car drives, or crawls as its in limp mode the temp obviously rises, and although the standard dash temp gauge rises to what is around normal (half way when at its hottest and no more) the Ecu reader gauge goes up in celcius and gets to around 80c+, and twice now has reached around 95c+ then last i noticed it flashed up something like - CT To Hgih Warning!. I like your idea Nick, Do you think i coud swap the TPS and the TGV sensor around and then possible run the car if it does run, and then if i run a diognosis it will come with another P error for the throttle sensor instead of the P1096 tgv issue? this should help me find the fault, as what i have read it states that P1096 could be the eiher front sensor (LH or RH), or the butterflies are stuck open, or close, and the possibility of a loose wire although most folk think this is unlikely on Subaru's. Im also under the impression that even if i do swap the TGV sensor for a new one i will need to clear the OBD code from the ecu, so i still need to get the car plugged into an external diognosis. God im loosing myself now.......... I sound like i know what im taking about but i dont have a clue... lol. Oh well thanks all for replying, Nick Prosport are still over an hour away, and with the car saying high CT i can not chance it i dont think, it looks like one of the inlets is over heating due the butterfles not moving, how true this is i dont know? Thanks Rob