Notices

PSI3 ECU DATA MONITOR HELP

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2009, 06:27 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default PSI3 ECU DATA MONITOR HELP

I have the above monitor, and im unsure of some of the meanings or abbreviations that the monitor reports, I understand the obvious such as 'CT' (Coolant Temp), and 'TH' (Throttle) etc, but what are the other manings, had anyone a manual or PDF of what they mean?

PS, having read some other posts it looks as though PSI3 have now ceased trading.

Thanks Rob
Old 26 August 2009, 06:50 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not having a manual or a unit it'd be easier for you to tell us the abbreviations and then we can put meanings to them. Off top of head, some of the ones I expect you'll see would be

IAM =Ignition Advance Multiplier
KC= Knock Correction
AFL=Air fuel learning
AFC=Air fuel correction
TPS=Throttle position sensor
EL=Engine Load
IT=Ignition Timing
EX=Exhaust Gas Temperature
BP=Boost Pressure
MAP=Manifold absolute pressure

What else are you looking for?
Old 26 August 2009, 07:40 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

TH 0% I guess throttle
ES 1050 varying but proves to be the rpm
RS O MPH again obvious
BP 09.8 Psi Boost Pressure
OT 1 oC Oil temp?
OP 99 Psi Oil Pressure?
CT 64 oC Coolant temp?
LA 14.5:1 ive no idea
BV 14.1 V ive no idea
IG 12.0 again no idea
KC 0.0 ?
ID 2.29 ms ?
AF 3.4 g/s ?
IN 24 oC ?

Last edited by Rob Day; 26 August 2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 26 August 2009, 07:47 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UK300 PRODRIVE
Ive just cranked over the car, baring im mind that the car has a new engine 600 miles ago and tick over at 1000rpm as its still cold, well 64 oC by the time i finished the readings:

Code Current Reading My Thoughts
TH 0% I guess throttle
ES 1050 varying but proves to be the rpm
RS O MPH again obvious
BP -09.8 Psi Boost Pressure
OT 1 oC Oil temp? You need additional senders for this to work
OP 99 Psi Oil Pressure?You need additional senders for this to work
CT 64 oC Coolant temp? Yes
LA 14.5:1 ive no idea Air Fuel mix.
BV 14.1 V ive no idea Battery Volts
IG 12.0 again no ideaIgnition TIming
KC 0.0 ? Knock Correction
ID 2.29 ms ?Injector opening duration
AF 3.4 g/s ? MAF
IN 24 oC ? Intake temp

Thanks Rob
Old 26 August 2009, 07:50 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenose172
Thanks very much for the quick response, does this seem fine, and if anything is worth keeping any eye on would it be the Knock and Air Fuel?

Thanks
Rob
Old 26 August 2009, 08:07 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UK300 PRODRIVE
Thanks very much for the quick response, does this seem fine,
Impossible for us to tell purely on the basis of those figures whether everything is "fine" or otherwise given that it's clearly idling and isn't fully warm. There's nothing there that cries out as being outside the expected range, if that helps.

and if anything is worth keeping any eye on would it be the Knock and Air Fuel?
Keep an occasional eye on the knock correction, yes. It's not really worth paying slavish attention to the AFR as it will change constantly anyway, and provided the ECU is getting the right inputs, the mixture will always be nominally "correct".

Without the oil temp and pressure senders, the most valuable thing to look at is probably that the mass airflow reads consistently under boost. To be honest though the usefulness of those monitors are a bit limited - as you can't easily see the variation in figures while driving, and they don't datalog so you can't check afterward. Possibly part of the reason why PSi3 aren't around anymore.
Old 26 August 2009, 08:34 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

It's damn near impossible, mine is set to Boost 95% of the time.
Old 26 August 2009, 08:40 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Impossible for us to tell purely on the basis of those figures whether everything is "fine" or otherwise given that it's clearly idling and isn't fully warm. There's nothing there that cries out as being outside the expected range, if that helps.

Keep an occasional eye on the knock correction, yes. It's not really worth paying slavish attention to the AFR as it will change constantly anyway, and provided the ECU is getting the right inputs, the mixture will always be nominally "correct".

Without the oil temp and pressure senders, the most valuable thing to look at is probably that the mass airflow reads consistently under boost. To be honest though the usefulness of those monitors are a bit limited - as you can't easily see the variation in figures while driving, and they don't datalog so you can't check afterward. Possibly part of the reason why PSi3 aren't around anymore.
Thanks very much for the input and information you have given me, great work ***
Old 26 August 2009, 08:49 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

check here, https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...-surround.html
Old 29 August 2009, 06:33 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
Cheers Pal, I may look into the Oil senders.. I read the thread above and I may enquire intot the Defi

Rob
Old 10 June 2010, 09:27 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

just to resurrect this. i have recently aquired one of these for my 99 UK impreza but it doesnt seem to be reading the

LA - Air Fuel mix.
AF - MAF

i just get No Data is this because it cant read them on from my ECU or is it a software issue were id need a later version of the software (which im assuming is nigh on impossible to get hold of now)

everything else is there bar the oil temp & pressure as i have no senders for those
Old 10 June 2010, 11:48 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
i just get No Data is this because it cant read them on from my ECU or is it a software issue were id need a later version of the software (which im assuming is nigh on impossible to get hold of now)
Both parameters are available in the ECU so it sounds like the unit's designers didn't know how to interpret them at the time your monitor was built. As to whether there's a later firmware that can do so, pass. As you say Psi3 aren't around anymore and I'm not sure the device is user-upgradeable, so it may be a moot point anyway - hopefully someone else who has one might know better.
Old 10 June 2010, 12:32 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to resurrect this. i have recently aquired one of these for my 99 UK impreza but it doesnt seem to be reading the

LA - Air Fuel mix.
AF - MAF

You have selected to display those readings from the menu, haven't you?
There are 5 displays, each one showing 4 items, all of which are selected from the menu. In addition, you have stored max. boost, rpm, speed, coolant temp.
I assume you guys bought these second hand from people who lost or threw away, the instruction manual?

JohnD
Old 10 June 2010, 01:06 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

yep i have the manual and selected them through the display edit mode to display them. but on selecting AF and LA it shows No Data
Old 10 June 2010, 01:56 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

if its any help, its a SECS S1003, on startup the version numbers are

"08 08-05-03" "SN12172"

it then comes up "WHAT DA ***" which i find odd lol before showing normal display

IT - Intake Temp
LA - Lambda Adjustment
AF - Air Fuel Mixture

all show 'no data' - all other options are displaying correctly

Last edited by Gambit; 10 June 2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11 June 2010, 10:54 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

if its any help, its a SECS S1003, on startup the version numbers are

"08 08-05-03" "SN12172"

it then comes up "WHAT DA ***" which i find odd lol before showing normal display

IT - Intake Temp
LA - Lambda Adjustment
AF - Air Fuel Mixture

You can get rid of the "WHAT DA ***" as this was put there by the previous owner and put you own start-up message. I have my user name and the car reg.
Just checked mine and it starts with "SUBARU 14 290404"
Originally I was sold a unit (new) from a local source which worked but gave some very strange readings (eg 49 deg of ignition advance at idle!!) and like you, not all options were available. On checking with the makers it turned out to be for a MINI!
Did the unit come from a Subaru the same as yours?

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 11 June 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11 June 2010, 11:06 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

yeah i managed to get rid of the daft message last night my ignition advance sits at about 12 degree advance at idle?

is there anyone on the site (or elsewhere) that you know of that is still able to re-program them?

cheers.
Old 11 June 2010, 01:26 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

12deg is right for idle.
When you say "re-program them" do you mean just change the display items?

JohnD
Old 11 June 2010, 01:45 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

IT - Intake Temp
LA - Lambda Adjustment
AF - Air Fuel Mixture

The intake temperature function is a moot point as your UK car doesn't have an intake temp sensor. As above the other two are available in the ECU so sounds like Psi3 didn't know how to read or interpret them at the time your unit was made.
Old 11 June 2010, 02:06 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

@JohnD - no its just dosent show any display for those 3 parameters. i understand the display and how to set it up

@Splitpin - cheers so thats IT ruled out. so now 2 left! ive been told that the there was different OBD connections for different years so it may just be the case that the OBD connection is not suitable for my model of car. so just need to see what pins read what in the connector. apparently detailed in the user manual
Old 11 June 2010, 02:32 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

@JohnD - no its just dosent show any display for those 3 parameters. i understand the display and how to set it up

@Splitpin - cheers so thats IT ruled out. so now 2 left!
Fraid not.

ive been told that the there was different OBD connections for different years
Yes, they do, but it sounds like you're putting two and two together there and making something other than 4. The pre-99MY cars do have a different shape diagnostic connector (and use a completely different communication protocol). However those cars need a completely different SECS monitor.

From 99 onwards all Imprezas have the OBD2 compliant DLC16 socket, and up until the point the newage ECUs become CAN-compatible, all use the same electrical interface (and communications) protocol. From 01MY onwards they gain the ability to communicate in native OBD2 mode as well as the manufacturer specific SSM mode (which is the one used by the SECS monitor).

so it may just be the case that the OBD connection is not suitable for my model of car. so just need to see what pins read what in the connector. apparently detailed in the user manual
No, that's not it. There's only one pin in your car's DLC connector carrying the diagnostic datastream, and it's the one your monitor is already connected to (pin 7).

The fact that you have it working and reading everything else tells you that you already have the correct data pin. If you didn't it wouldn't work at all. It sounds like you're working on the assumption that trying different pins in the connector will allow your unit to read the two "missing" parameters. I'm afraid it won't. The only other pins that are populated in the DLC plug are grounds and power supplies.

If you've already done whatever is necessary in the unit's menu to turn those two data parameters on, but it still can't read them, then the bottom line is that the unit doesn't know how to read them. The only way to make it do so would be to reprogram it, if such a thing were possible.

Last edited by Splitpin; 11 June 2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11 June 2010, 03:09 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Plenty of info there cheers & ok still gettin a bit closer

Johns runs version SUBARU 14 290404, mine runs SUBARU 08 080503, so its an earlier version software.

there used to be an option to get the software upgraded, so now its a case of finding someone who can update the software possibly.

ECutek took over the development of the software after PSI3 so maybe someone there would be able to update it ??
Old 11 June 2010, 03:24 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-1...ve-mapped.html

See post 6. Simon from Psi3 used to post help on here but not seen any posts for a while since the company folded.

I've got a SECS and they can be a bit flakey at the best of times LOL. Also hopeless with analoge output such as boost pressure as it's virtually impossible to read. I'd treat it as a toy and get some "proper" guages

Shaun
Old 11 June 2010, 05:13 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

it is only a toy correct but is good for the ecu fault code reading etc.

yeah id seen simons postings on it but the fact he hasnt been active on the site since 2008, i doubt he'd appreciate a call about it
Old 11 June 2010, 07:11 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Gambit....... too true. Useful for reading codes (current and historic) and it has a re-set ECU function

Shaun
Old 11 June 2010, 10:10 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
The intake temperature function is a moot point as your UK car doesn't have an intake temp sensor. As above the other two are available in the ECU so sounds like Psi3 didn't know how to read or interpret them at the time your unit was made.
Mine gives a 'intake temp' reading which is from the MAF sensor(?) I also have installed a seperate charge temp. sensor close to the throttle body which provides an interesting comparison of before and after turbo/intercooler temps.

JohnD
Old 11 June 2010, 10:27 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Newage cars have a temp sensor next to the MAF in the same housing...

Shaun
Old 11 June 2010, 10:52 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Mine gives a 'intake temp' reading which is from the MAF sensor(?)
As Shaun has said, your newage car has an inlet air temperature thermistor built into the MAF sensor, Gambit has a UK classic, and as per previous, back then only the STis had IAT measurement as standard (via a separate sensor in the first part of the intake). Hence his inability to get a reading from that particular parameter.
Old 11 June 2010, 11:34 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Splitpin.......I know I have asked this on previous threads but I wonder who you really are under the pseudonym LOL

Shaun
Old 12 June 2010, 10:14 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

@JohnD - Is your's the later VFD version? mines only the LCD version - so im guessing its a v.early model

@Splitpin - Cheers for all the info on this is much appreciated, at least know i know how it works! still be interested to know if anyone can update the software on them.

@Midlife - Cheers for the input also

Quick Reply: PSI3 ECU DATA MONITOR HELP