Notices

WRC chatter

Old 09 December 2009, 04:35 PM
Wudy444
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRC chatter

Hello peeps. Can any1 tell me how I can get the chatter that the subaru WRC cars make on my 2002 sti wrx and if this is a gd thing or bad thing?

Cheers
Old 09 December 2009, 04:45 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Welcome. It doesn't do your engine any good and can, if you're lucky, cause a lot of damage. If you want to know more the best bet is to click Search and type "chatter" into the dialog box, as this has been asked once or twice before.
Old 09 December 2009, 04:54 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

It doesn't to any damage to the engine.

It could cause damage to the turbo, but some tuners say it's fine to do it depending on the turbo. I've got a MD321 and Lateral supply the turbo intake pipe with all the intakes deleted, so you cannot run a dump valve if you wanted to.
Old 09 December 2009, 05:00 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisdicko
It doesn't to any damage to the engine.
Says who? It will if your compressor blades end up in the cylinders, or if an airflow sensor that has been pressure degraded starts under-reading.

As you say, it's something that can be got away with under some circumstances, but on a standard car it doesn't do anything any favours.
Old 09 December 2009, 05:03 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Yeah true. It will damage the engine if the turbo ***** up, and could knacker sensors....so could a lot of things though.
Old 09 December 2009, 05:26 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Yeah true. It will damage the engine if the turbo ***** up, and could knacker sensors....so could a lot of things though.
Sure, there are other things that can cause turbo and sensor failures. However, most of those things are either unavoidable facts of life or bring a performance benefit that makes them worth doing. This one is avoidable, and doesn't.
Old 09 December 2009, 05:26 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

so how do you get the chatter sound then.
Old 09 December 2009, 05:29 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a16pse
so how do you get the chatter sound then.
You don't, usually.

If it means that much to you, the safest way for your engine is to get a recording of WRC car engine sounds, burn it to a CD and play it on your stereo.

Or you could block the dumpvalve off, and accept in doing so that your long-term reliability might suffer. Unless you are running huge amounts of boost, the noise you will get will be a bit pants though.
Old 09 December 2009, 05:40 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Yeah you are right Splitpin.

It can't be that bad though as the kit I bought doesn't allow to run a dump valve. Although I do agree with you, it can't help things.
It's sort of like saying don't tune the engine as it will shorten it's life. Which is again true, but we do it.
Old 09 December 2009, 06:03 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

It can't be that bad though as the kit I bought doesn't allow to run a dump valve. Although I do agree with you, it can't help things.
Everything is a compromise. Turbo reliability is ensured on a WRC car by overhauling it every few hundred kilometres. That clearly isn't practical on a road car, and again, we're not talking about your car, or a Lateral turbo here, this thread was started by Wudy, about his 02 STi.

It's sort of like saying don't tune the engine as it will shorten it's life. Which is again true, but we do it.
That's not really a perfect analogy. Yes, tuning an engine will shorten its life to some degree, but provided the tuning is carried out sensibly, properly, and at a level the engine can cope with, then its life shouldn't be shortened by a significant degree.

Blocking off the DV is a bit like tuning the car, but leaving it detting in certain areas of the map. Sure, it'll last for years provided you don't go into the det prone parts, but if you do, your mileage may vary.
Old 10 December 2009, 11:39 AM
Wudy444
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the help and advise guys, think I'l 4get that idea, does sound gd but stick with the dump valve, cheers