Notices

Walbro Fuel Pump Connection Question

Old 18 December 2009, 12:23 AM
Marts WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Walbro Fuel Pump Connection Question

Received my Walbro pump today from ScoobyParts, which came with all the bits and pieces needed to fit - minus instructions tho! Anyway, I found this fitting tutorial: Diy - Gc8 - Walbro Fuel Pump Installation - Rexnet Subaru Forums and followed it to the word... except one thing... the connection wire between pump in my box was missing the white connector block attached to the one in this pic (taken from tutorial)
Name:  walbro020.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  59.4 KB

Only way i could fully assemble the pump assembly was to cut the connector off the old wires and solder and heat shrink to my new wires. I have made the join safe with heatshrink tubing and made it air tight, but Im still not 100% sure doing it this way is really safe!!

Can these connector wires and block, like in the picture above, be bought? Or have I done right in how i have soldered and covered mine?

How have others dealt with this situation when fitting their walbro pump to their classic (mine is a MY97 if that helps) ?

I will be contacting ScoobyParts tomorrow, but if anyone can help me out on here, it will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 18 December 2009, 01:01 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

If you've soldered it and used heat shrink tubing should have no problems at all mate. On some of the later classics and new age it is a straight plug in and away you go. On earlier models you have to do a bit of work, but should be fine providing the pump is secure in it's cage .
Old 18 December 2009, 03:00 AM
Marts WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i was more concerned about the fumes floating around... like if for some reason in the future the heat shrink was to deteriorate and leave exposed soldered power cables... I dunno, just probably being too over cautious I suppose.