Notices

Bug wrx power options - intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2011, 09:26 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug wrx power options - intercooler?

My friend has a 2001 Bugeye wrx.

The current mods on the car are a standard TD04, full exhaust system and de-cat down pipe, 3 port solenoid, panel filter, walbro pump and a remap by Dunc from Racedynamix.

After a meeting at RCM today to tweek Emma's map for 99 fuel and to improve the figures we found that the up pipe cat was blocked, restricting bhp a lot (238bhp, 264lb/ft).

With this in mind, i've sourced an sti up pipe which will be replaced but the map will require another tweek, so should anything else be considered like a better top mount intercooler, and if so, how hard is it to swap from a standard one?

Before anyone says "fit a better turbo", please bear in mind that Emma has a very limited budget and a turbo may get done at some point, but for the time being we're looking to use the TD-04 and get some sensible figures from it, rather than creating a laggy monster.

There was another bugeye at RCM today that made some excellent numbers using a panel filter, de-cat up/down pipes, walbro pump, 3 port, sti intercooler and Dunc remap. Made 278bhp and a whopping 310 lb/ft! If we could see that it would be amazing.

Just looking at what sort of value for money options Emma can consider without blowing the bank. As a guide, there may be £150 to spend

Any "productive" help is appreciated, many thanks
Old 10 November 2011, 09:35 PM
silverfox72
Scooby Regular

STI top mount intercooler, scoop and under tray would be my thoughts with the STI up pipe. Other than that I am not sure what u could do without going for a different turbo.
Brakes probably a good upgrade area 2.

Had mine done by Duncan - cannot fault anything the man does. A true gent.
Old 10 November 2011, 09:44 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

im not 100% sure, but as i understand it the std tmic is good for upto around 330 ish, so a sti one may blow most of your £150 and be a total waste of time, i would say a decent uppipe and a quality panel filter to start with.....
i would speek to some of the mappers on here, as a lot of duff info flying around.
good luck with the work.

Last edited by madmerlin; 10 November 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10 November 2011, 10:23 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Cold air induction kit might be an idea.
Old 10 November 2011, 10:27 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above your friend Emma will be OK with WRX TMIC and good up pipe and panel filter should be best option.

Jura
Old 10 November 2011, 10:36 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
As above your friend Emma will be OK with WRX TMIC and good up pipe and panel filter should be best option.

Jura
+1, I'm running a newage WRX intercooler on my car and it's running 330bhp. The torque versus bhp figure shows that the car is being restricted. Free up the breathing and she will see good gains dude.
Old 10 November 2011, 11:54 PM
the hamster
BANNED

yeah, i'm maybe leaning towards doing an induction kit to improve induction noise etc plus the up pipe then get the map tweeked.
Old 11 November 2011, 12:01 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
yeah, i'm maybe leaning towards doing an induction kit to improve induction noise etc plus the up pipe then get the map tweeked.
Hi there your friend don't need any induction kit,if you want improve noise,fit Green cotton or K&N panel filter.Up pipe should be OK STi one.

Jura
Old 11 November 2011, 12:07 AM
the hamster
BANNED

she already has a panel filter Jura, plus de-cat downpipe, walbro pump, 3 port and forge BOV. We will add the up pipe and see what power can be made.

Is it easy to change to an sti intercooler if needed?
Old 11 November 2011, 12:13 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

she already has a panel filter Jura, plus de-cat downpipe, walbro pump, 3 port and forge BOV. We will add the up pipe and see what power can be made.

Is it easy to change to an sti intercooler if needed?
Yes up pipe will be needed,STi up pipe cost around £40-£60,if you will go route of induction kit,try have look for K&N or Green cotton,just beware before HKS,i've run on mine has been OK,but tuners don't like them,its up to you...

STi intercooler will benefit if you are fit as well STi scoop and undertray,due this i still recommend FMIC,i know at this power is over complicated,but looking so good

Jura
Old 11 November 2011, 12:19 AM
the hamster
BANNED

It has a K&N panel filter at the moment so will leave that for now and concentrate on the up pipe. I have an STI up pipe ordered from a SN member for £35 delivered so that should be ok, but if we have the £ then a larger TMIC would be good. I will see how much I can get an sti I/C and scoop for, rough price?
Old 11 November 2011, 12:25 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

It has a K&N panel filter at the moment so will leave that for now and concentrate on the up pipe. I have an STI up pipe ordered from a SN member for £35 delivered so that should be ok, but if we have the £ then a larger TMIC would be good. I will see how much I can get an sti I/C and scoop for, rough price?

STi up pipe will be OK for your application and above.£35 is great price there.
Yes larger TMIC will be good,but still think you are don't need at all,if you will go above 320-330bhp i would have look for STi TMIC...
Scoop some ba$tards selling for £100-£150(but i've seen for £60-£90),£70-£90 for undertray

Jura
Old 11 November 2011, 12:54 AM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

You'd be looking around £250 ish for Sti TMIC and undertray.
Old 11 November 2011, 09:47 PM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MicaDan
You'd be looking around £250 ish for Sti TMIC and undertray.
Guys, may well be a silly questions but what does this 'undertray' do and where does it sit?
Old 12 November 2011, 07:43 AM
the hamster
BANNED

Originally Posted by MK1ITS
Guys, may well be a silly questions but what does this 'undertray' do and where does it sit?
A fellow Meltonian!

The undertray sits inside the bonnet on the other side of the scoop to direct airflow afaik mate.

Where abouts in Melton are you and what are you driving?
Old 15 November 2011, 04:46 PM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

A fellow Meltonian!

The undertray sits inside the bonnet on the other side of the scoop to direct airflow afaik mate.

Hello mate, up on Laxton Close off Nottingham Road, its a 2004 WRX in black.

How about yourself?
Old 15 November 2011, 05:13 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

A fellow Meltonian!

Correct! The undertray creates a seal against the intercooler, directing air straight to the core for optimal cooling. An Sti intercooler is physically larger, so the WRX undertray will ony be directing air to about 75% of the intercooler, thus negating the effect of the upgrade in the first place.
Old 15 November 2011, 05:14 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Tennyson Way mate, just at the top of the hill. Theres a P1 round the corner from me too
Old 16 November 2011, 02:10 AM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

The TD04 will run out of puff at 280bhp max and the other mods done so far will get you close to that figure, so it may be best to invest the £150 elsewhere.

Rear anti roll bar or a decent set of pads up front?
Old 16 November 2011, 02:16 AM
jakea
Scooby Regular

port the exhaust side of the turbo, add a sprayer system if it already does not, or methanol.
You could also opt for a used external gate setup and easily gain 30-40 horse at the wheels
Old 16 November 2011, 04:58 PM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Tennyson Way mate, just at the top of the hill. Theres a P1 round the corner from me too
Are you driving an 03 WRX estate in black? And working at the Samworth brothers?

lol I'm not stalking this car but you spot a scooby a mile off....
Old 16 November 2011, 06:59 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

This is the typical 2.0 WRX upgrade path that duncan (race dynamix) wrote for the scoobycity forum. should answer some of your questions i think.

Originally Posted by dynamix
Again, a common question that I get asked about what should be done and what shouldn't etc so I will aim to do these for each significant model type.

Firstly, a 2.0 litre WRX....

In std form they are 220bhp give or take and have boost at about 0.9 bar. The boost profile in the std map is pretty tame and doesnt come in til 3500rpm assuming the car is std.

so... choices

1. Keep the car std but just remap for more oomph and better fuel economy.
A full custom remap will bring boost in much earlier and hold higher boost levels for longer but the map will be geared to running much more efficiently ( which is also more economically) as it wont be possible to push too much boost with all 3 cats in place. Typically a Green/K&N/Cosworth air filter and a backbox are fitted at this stage.

This would get the car to about 250-260bhp

2. Sports cat in downpipe - remove centre cat
A full custom remap will bring boost in much earlier due to the lower back pressure and hold much higher boost levels. The remap will also aim to get it running much more efficiently ( which is also more economically).
Typically a Green/K&N/Cosworth air filter and probably a 3 port solenoid are fitted at this stage (on top of the sports cat downpipe and exhaust system).

This would get the car to about 270bhp but a huge boost in torque figures in the mid range.

3. Fully Decat Exhaust
The low back pressure from removing all the cats is now the equivalent of the turbo running around the garden naked shouting "look at me I'm free". A remap is needed to bring it under control and stop overboosting. The remap will bring boost in as smooth as possible and most likely get full boost at around 2700 rpm and hold higher boost right through the rev range. The remap will also aim to get it running much more efficiently ( which is also more economically).
Typically a Green/K&N/Cosworth air filter and probably a 3 port solenoid are fitted at this stage (on top of the decat downpipe and exhaust system).

This would get the car to about 280-290bhp but a huge boost in torque figures in the mid range and transform the way the car drives on the road.

A walbro 255 fuel pump is advisable but not 100% essential.

4. Getting to over 300bhp
A lot of people want to do this, it is a nice bhp figure for the pub afterall. So .. how ? The std TD04 turbo will not do it unless you are on a dyno that reads very optimistically. It will need a turbo off its bigger brother STi version.

There are many many choices of turbo for this VF30, VF34, VF35, VF43, VF48, TD05 16G etc etc but all of these will need a couple of other changes to the car before hitting the mark safely.
- STi Injectors - 550cc (Pinks)
- Walbro 255 pump
- worth changing the uppipe for a decat version
- probably an STi TMIC although the WRX will suffice.

It is also advisable to change to NGK PFR7B spark plugs.

There is a lot of info around about the different turbos and what they are capable of - the VF35 makes the best upgrade in my opinion at the moment and should hit a nice safe 320-330bhp. This is pretty much an ideal level for the WRX keeping it within the capabilities of the engine, gearbox and clutch.

Some other info:
- a vent to atmosphere dump valve will not improve the performance but if you must fit one for the sound then stick to a good make - forge have always been good from what I have seen. (Baileys are less so)
- a FMIC is not needed at this stage and tbh is always the wrong mod to do on a WRX.
- an induction kit will most likely not improve performance as the std airbox is very good. If you do want more induction noise then go for a cold air induction kit such as the K&N typhoon where the filter is located away from engine bay heat.

Anyway ... hope that is useful.