Notices

Changing Injectors on MY00 Impreza

Old 24 March 2012, 11:27 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Changing Injectors on MY00 Impreza

Hi guys, I'm putting a VF35 Turbo and 550cc injectors on my classic. The injectors are causing me a bit of trouble and was just wanting to get any help/advice from anyone on here that's changed them before. Not necesarily on a MY00 impreza, just generally. But yeah, my first problem is this.......

Name:  DSC00505.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  46.9 KB

The screws holding them in appear to have been made out of pastercine or something similar on my car! They are pathetic! I thought this was going to be a real problem and I was gonna be screwed (no pun intended) but eventually got them off with an impact driver. So now I'm at this stage......

Name:  DSC00522.jpg
Size:  69.6 KB

Screws are out, but they ain't budging! As you can see from the marks on them we've been trying to pull them out with pliers and everything, but they will not move at all. Well, they will rotate, as you can probably tell from the pic, but they will not come out at all. Was just wondering is there anything else holding them in there other than the 2 screws? We've given up for today because we didn't want to damage them anymore. This is only one injector we've got this far on aswell. Haven't touched the other 3. This is the one nearest the front of the car on the driver's side. The one nearest the back of the car on the driver's side seems a bit impossible to get to!!! Does anybody know of an injector fitting guide anywhere online as I'm failing to find one?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 25 March 2012, 12:00 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you nee to change them? Can a VF35 max 440's?
Old 25 March 2012, 12:44 AM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Do you nee to change them? Can a VF35 max 440's?
I believe that is the case yes, or nearabouts. That's why I'm changing them
Old 25 March 2012, 12:50 AM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Loosen the fuel rail, held on with 2 nuts. When you pull they should pop off. You can carefully yank the fuel rails once loose, or leave the fuel rail as it & use a strong thread. Tie it around the injectors & pull with the name of god!

You can see the 2 nuts on the pic, just below the header tank. They got a number 8 on them.

Last edited by KAS35RSTI; 25 March 2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 25 March 2012, 06:04 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

As above or I normally use some a decent set of long nosedpliers and a blunt screwdriver. You simply put a small piece of cloth around the injector so not to damage it and grip with the pliers and use the screwdriver gently to ease the injector up whilst pulling on the pliers. Works everytime,don't forget to use white grease when fitting your new ones.
Your 440's should be good for around 320 - 330 bhp ,but some people have had more.
Old 25 March 2012, 07:11 AM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my rails out and carefully put the injector in the vice with a twist and pull they come out ! Tough little buggers though !
Old 25 March 2012, 12:01 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight
As above or I normally use some a decent set of long nosedpliers and a blunt screwdriver. You simply put a small piece of cloth around the injector so not to damage it and grip with the pliers and use the screwdriver gently to ease the injector up whilst pulling on the pliers. Works everytime,don't forget to use white grease when fitting your new ones.
Your 440's should be good for around 320 - 330 bhp ,but some people have had more.
I've never heard of white grease before? Is there somthing similar I could use that I might already have, save me having to go somewhere & buy something because my car isn't useable at the moment! I was just gonna use a bit of oil? Or is that a big no-no?
Old 25 March 2012, 02:22 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Hi guys, just wondering what this black pipe diagonally covering this injector is? It's the driver's side nearest the rear of the car. Can I just remove it to do the injector then refit it? It's an oil breather is it?......

Name:  DSC00533.jpg
Size:  59.8 KB
Old 25 March 2012, 03:09 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Yes its the cam case breather pipe. Just pop it off. Engine oil will be fine.

Make sure you use a rag to catch the fuel when it spills out.
Old 25 March 2012, 04:46 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Lovely, have finally managed to get them all out now so thanks for all your help! Next question tho.......they were all a complete pain to get out......are they also a complete pain to get back in? I have got the new ones in this far......

Name:  DSC00550.jpg
Size:  53.5 KB

And that's it they are going no further. Not without a block of wood and a hammer anyway lol. I thought maybe they didn't fit correctly so I tried to put an old one back in and they are exactly the same. Do they actually need a hammer like persuation to get in? Or will I break something?
Old 25 March 2012, 08:13 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

No problem mate. Thats not in fully. You will feel the pop in, when you push hard on them. They should clip in. Make sure you look for leaks after all of the injectors are fitted. Start the car up and turn off after a few seconds. Sometimes when you dont put enough lube on the O-rings, fuel can leak pass it as the rings split on the way inside or get damaged.

I wouldnt use a hammer. Just twist and push hard! I think you need more lube, grease would be ideal. You can get these special pliers that do a great job, cant remember the name though.

Another thing you can do is put the caps back on and use longer screws then start tigthtening them down, that way they will clip in. Then release the screws and double check.
Newages are easy to do. Classics are a nightmare!

Last edited by KAS35RSTI; 25 March 2012 at 08:42 PM.
The following users liked this post: