Notices

EML P2444 Secondary Air Injection Pump - Blanking it off?

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2013, 06:11 PM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EML P2444 Secondary Air Injection Pump - Blanking it off?

EML came on starting the car to come home from work, got home and read the fault then reset it. heres the fault:

Monday,19,August,2013,17:24:09:37412
VCDS Release 11.11.0: Generic OBD2
Mode 03: Emission related fault codes

Address 10 (Engine): 1 Fault Found:
P2444 - Secondary Air Injection Pump Bank 1: Stuck Open

now, i have read a little on this and removing/blanking seems to be the ticket but requires mapping so i have a few questions.

firstly, is there a guide or write up about how to remove and blank it all off and secondly.. what exactly needs done mapping wise and can it be done via opensource software as im just getting into opensource tuning so hoping id be able to sort the mapping side out myself.

car is still within its 3 month warranty also so first thing ill be doing is getting in touch with the dealer but as theyre relatively small i dont think they will like the price of new secondary air pump related bits so i have a feeling if i leave it to them they will fart around and maybe clean something and wipe the fault as i did today until the 3 months are up then tell me tough cookies so id like to sus out removal/blanking ahead of time so that hopefully when the system is completely screwed ill have everything sorted to blank it all off and map it.
Old 19 August 2013, 07:23 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Can just turn it off in the map. You can remove all the pipework but its a mega job, turbo out manifold off etc. Easiest way is just disable it in the map.
Old 19 August 2013, 07:41 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Left bank servo fault ( 2 servos left of picture )
Water vapour turning to rust seizing the servo / can also overheat the pump / if you can't remove & blank , take off your top mount & hit the setvo may just free it up ( not a perm fix as its a crappy system
Old 19 August 2013, 07:47 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Ah the good old rats nest of pipes lol
Old 19 August 2013, 09:07 PM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

would an atmospheric BOV possibly cause it to gunk up? cars been fine since i got it though it did randomly stall once a couple days ago which is probably related though i thought nothing of it at the time, figured BOV vented and it just happened to stall slowing to a stop at a roundabout.

idle is a bit low sometimes, moreso now than earlier today. the EML has come back on again with the same fault so i reset it and went to the shop and for a quick blast up a nearby dual carraigeway to blow out any cobwebs but the light was back on for the 3rd time before i got out of our estate. cars still drivable but if its popping the same code this quickly then somethings definately stuck or shot. wonder if i could remove the hose to the plastic pump and shoot some carb cleaner or something down it?

regarding turning it off in the map (in the tune, map makes me think of individual maps within a tune), do you know which particular map/maps i need to tweak? can ask on romraider if not.

as for turning it off via the ECU and leaving the system still on the engine.. does that turn the whole system off and kill the fault or just kill the fault? also could leaving it in and mapping the light off cause any problems compared to fitting blanking plates and mapping it?

lastly, is it really necessary to drop the turbo/manifold and whatever else? if its being removed can the points where it bolts in be accessed with turbo and manifold in situ with the car up on a lift or anything? thinking if i remove/blank it off it may be possible to unbolt everything and cut any pipes or anything that would require the maifold/turbo to come off the remove otherwise?
Old 19 August 2013, 09:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

the pump can fail, mines currently got a grumbly bearing so being removed and pipes removed where easy to access.

i doubt bov will make much difference, it only works for about 3o seconds on cold start in the mornign then shuts off.

reason for removing the manifold is where the pipes go, there under, over and around the bloody place.

Last edited by Tidgy; 19 August 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 19 August 2013, 09:31 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Make me an offer
You can have the full system in picture
Perfect working order ( removed at just over 10k

Change the servo out ( your fixed ( with spares
Old 19 August 2013, 09:57 PM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

found a write up and it looks like it can be deleted without removing turbo/exhaust manifold. also on seeing the pics i could probably remove the two servo's and weld up the two pipes then refit and map out. spares and a working SAI system would be the best option right now though as im not up and mapping yet.

@ jazzy, honestly dunno what youd be expecting. havent got alot of wonga this month either.. £40? i am genuinely interested.. if thats no good give me a fair ballpark number as i may be able to persuade the dealer to simply cough up the price of the spare system you have as apposed to putting the car in a suitable garage (local place that builds rally cars so id imagine labour is not cheap) and having to buy new parts.. id think they would opt for the cheaper option particularly considering they only gave me 3 months warranty.
Old 19 August 2013, 10:03 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

got the link to hand mate?
Old 19 August 2013, 10:22 PM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-inst...p-removal.html

i just took the hose off of the air pump and shot some brake cleaner and WD-40 down the hose. checked the ingredients on the brake cleaner as i also had some engine de-greaser but the brake cleaner came with a straw and the de-greaser didnt but ingredients are the same for both so shouldnt do any harm. looking under the side of the IC though it looks like all the cleaner will have gone to the nearer of the two servo's and im not sure which servo is the one causing the fault (bank 1). gonna let it sit overnight and reset the fault in the morning before i go to work and see what happens if anything.

Last edited by DmcL; 19 August 2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 19 August 2013, 10:56 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

YHPM
Old 19 August 2013, 11:03 PM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

just noticed that, replied