Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Fitted Pioneer F930BT - Radio reception issue and speed/reverse sensor location?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2013, 10:33 AM
Muzza80
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fitted Pioneer F930BT - Radio reception issue and speed/reverse sensor location?

Hi all,
Just fitted a Pioneer F930BT to my 2006 Hawkeye WRX.
Firstly, what an amazing improvement in sound quality, really the standard speakers are not that bad at all, simply changing the head unit has improved the sound ten fold, brilliant!

I've a couple of questions, first is regarding radio reception. I'm aware that the WRX needs power sent to the signal booster in order to get any decent reception. My pioneer harness has a blue/white cable in it that's split in the middle with a bullet connector, the Pioneer manual tries to explain this but I'm not 100% still....

Do I correctly assume that I need to connect the two bullet connectors and this will send a signal when the ignition is on to the signal booster but the booster itself ill actually draw the power it uses from elsewhere?

Secondly, I need to tap into the speed sensor wire and also the reverse sensor wire. I've read lots about tapping it from the ECU loom or behind the speedo. What I find very interesting is that I seem to have, taped up right on the stereo loom (car side), an unused plug with two wires going into it (green/yellow and brown yellow) which from everything I've read is the colours of the speed and reverse wires im looking for??

That's too convenient surely? I've never heard mention of this taped up spare cables before either?

Thanks!
Old 20 March 2013, 04:05 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes mate. I had the sane trouble. I connected the blue wires and it sorted the radio reception with no troubles.
Old 20 March 2013, 04:13 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as above for radio wire, reverse wire i used the rear light cluster reverse bulb and the speed sensor wire i connected on to the back of the instrument cluster.
Old 20 March 2013, 09:09 PM
abre
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FYI there is a firmware upgrade available from Pioneer to improve the FM reception. This was to fix a problem on all F30BT and F930BT head units... I had my dealer send my F30 back to Pioneer as the update wasn't available at the time, you can now get the patch at

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/support/sof...30BT/page.html

The improvement is noticeable!

Have you been on the Avic411 forum, there is a very good mod on the forum if you are IT savvy, to remove the annoying SatNav OK confirmation which delays the bluetooth phone syncing and prevents the voice recognition from starting up and working

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/...-1#entry258151

You do have to dig for the detail but it's all there, you need to make an edit in the SatNav code so not for the feint of heart!
Regards
Andrew

Last edited by abre; 20 March 2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 20 March 2013, 09:18 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also on avic411 you can update the unit to 2012 f940bt spec so it has aha radio and navtech maps.
i did this and its much better now and its the update that pioneer sell for £130

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/...u-2012-update/
Old 20 March 2013, 09:48 PM
Muzza80
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cheers for the replies.

Ok so I've updated to the 2012 maps and F940BT software, great improvement. I also connected up the blue wires and that's sorted the reception

Now what I said earlier about the speed and reverse signal wires, I was right, they're right there on the car loom next to the main stereo plug!

I simply cut off the plug and scotch blocked them to the pioneer loom and it all works perfectly!

So for others worth checking if your car is a 2006 on WRX, no need to be tapping into the ecu loom or the instruments
Old 21 March 2013, 02:11 AM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you get a iso lead ordered in for your scoob to mate to the pioneer headunit. £7 deliverd of ebay

Glad it all works mate.