Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Quick release Steering wheel kits advice

Old 02 July 2014, 01:16 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick release Steering wheel kits advice

I recently bought a 340mm Momo steering wheel with boss from a friend and would like to fit it with a quick release kit. I am not bothered about indicators cancelling but would like the horn button to work. Also I need to retain the clockspring for DDCD sensor purposes, will this be an issue?
Not sure which is suitable or better, any advice appreciated

There are a few kits I have seen on ebay etc:

1) Sparco £45

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2513210006...84.m1423.l2648

2) NRG £87

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2712710520...84.m1423.l2648

3) D1Spec £51

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1912087154...84.m1423.l2648

Last edited by rickya; 02 July 2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02 July 2014, 02:12 PM
JayUK91
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a quick release on my MR2 for about a day. Bought one of those 'Sparco' jobbies, but they're just cheap generic kits from China.

Didn't like it due to:
a) It had a tiny amount of play in it
b) It moved the steering wheel too far away from the dash - meaning I couldn't reach any of the stalks with just a finger flick.

Just something to bear in mind, but try to get the thinnest kit you can find. I've heard good things about the NRG kits though - much better build quality.
Old 02 July 2014, 02:30 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, good info.
Was also thinking NRG but may have to get their slim hub kit too instead of using the Momo hub kit I currently have.
Old 02 July 2014, 02:33 PM
JayUK91
Scooby Regular

Yeah, MOMO collapsible boss' are quite large (what I had) so if you can find the correct NRG kit that's probably worth doing.
Old 02 July 2014, 03:15 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the NRG Gen.2 quick release. Incredible quality, works a dream - absolutely no play in it whatsoever. Plus, it's dual-drilled, so excepts pretty much all modern 6x70mm and 6x74mm wheels.

My main reason for choosing it over the 'motorsport-esque' Sparco one, is that you can lock the separate NRG anti-theft cover over the quick release, for added security!

Whatever you do, make sure you buy the genuine NRG item, and not those cheapo, far east knock-off pattern versions that proliferate eBay!

My actual boss is the regular OMP one, which is fine for me using a flat steering wheel; you can just about get your fingers to the stalks when holding the wheel. But if that boss (or Simoni, MOMO, etc.) is too long, you can also get the short, matching NRG boss, which is about an inch shorter IIRC...

Last edited by joz8968; 02 July 2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02 July 2014, 03:56 PM
marcio
Scooby Regular

I have been using a NRG Gen. 2.5 quick release with a NRG short boss for over an year now, tracked the car a few times, occasional street drive and some trips when needed and no issues, no play, no unintentional release of the wheel so far :-).

But a few comments about the quick release + short boss NRG 'combo': at the time I bought them there were no NRG short boss that fit the STi v6 steering column (I think they still don't have one) and I had to buy a WRX one. The end of the steering column is a bit different between the models (same thread pattern to fit the boss, but the STi column after the threads is thicker than the WRX one so the short boss won't slide to the correct position). I had to remove some material from the inside of the short boss, as well as its back part/part that faces the steering column to get a 100% fit.

I also had to use a metal contact to link the back of the short boss to the horn wiring and make the horn work, and buy a separate resistor to cancel the Air Bag light. These parts didn't come with the NRG short boss.

Despite those NRG short boss related issue, as I said I couldn't find a problem in the NRG quick release itself so far.

btw: a friend and I thought that going 'fancy' would change something and he bought a Works Bell Short boss + quick release combo specific for the STi v6 (his car model also) and ended up having the same fitting problems I had with the short boss described above.

Cheers,
Marcio
Old 02 July 2014, 04:56 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Thanks so far, very useful feedback.
If I go with the NRG one will the clockspring with dccd plugs etc still be retained and also will the steering wheel be too close to my body with this?
Old 02 July 2014, 05:01 PM
RoyPinhey
Scooby Regular

As said above you will need a resistor for your airbag light . . I too have an nrg and can't rate it highly enough
Old 02 July 2014, 05:23 PM
marcio
Scooby Regular

I don't know about the clockspring with DCCD plugs... but regarding the distance, those pictures are not very good but may help:

When NRG advertises 'short boss' you'd better believe, they are really short:

With the amount of material I removed, I was able to completely slide the boss into the steering column. You can also see in the picture the back part of the quick release bolted to the short hub.

This is the wheel in place:

(don't worry about the parts missing in the picture. I'm currently working on the car and had to remove them, but everything fits in place without any issues)

If you have a short boss, a quick release and a FLAT style steering wheel, there will be very little to no difference in the distance of the wheel to your body or to the levers compared to the stock steergin wheel, at least in the NRG short hub + 2.5 gen quick release combo as the one I have the distance changed only by a few mm, nothing to worry about.

Cheers,
Marcio
Old 02 July 2014, 06:36 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Thank you Marcio for your help & advice
I think I will need to buy the NRG short hub rather than using my Momo hub.
That then adds up in cost & may then be better off getting this below which comes as a whole kit?

http://www.rhdjapan.com/works-bell-r...k-release.html
Old 08 July 2014, 10:29 AM
marcio
Scooby Regular

Doesn't look like it is a kit in the link you sent, only the quick release from what I understood.

You still need the boss to install it, could be the momo one you have if you don't bother about the steering wheel distance to your body / indicator/wiper stalks or a short boss if distance is an issue.

Cheers,
Marcio
Old 12 July 2014, 01:55 AM
crookedvulture
BANNED

My advice would be to buy the best you can afford.I bought a Chinese ebay special & it was absolute shizer,I then spent £150 on a Sabelt one which is great,but I do have an OMP WRC dished steering wheel that makes it pretty far back.btw those ones pictured are not genuine Sparco.I believe those Bell ones are pretty good also Lifeline too.
Old 19 July 2014, 03:43 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ricky I have a works bell kit on mine and it's beautifully engineered and has zero play in it. Also comes with the airbag light delete resistor.
Expensive but worth the money IMO.

Call Playskool Motorsport. That's where I sourced mine.
Old 20 July 2014, 12:54 PM
Mr Blobby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
Ricky I have a works bell kit on mine and it's beautifully engineered and has zero play in it. Also comes with the airbag light delete resistor.
Expensive but worth the money IMO.

Call Playskool Motorsport. That's where I sourced mine.
+1 Such a good kit to buy.
Old 27 August 2014, 12:41 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Ive ordered cheap ones in the past and also ordered NRG ones from Ebay and it turned out to be fake..... Terrible quality.
I currently run a Driftworks QR boss which locks VERY solid, weighs a ton, and is a quality bit of kit. No play whatsoever, unlike some of the others. I also have a HKB boss which cancels indicators, retains the clock spring etc etc and comes with little wiring loom with resister, with push fit connectors to cancel the airbag light. Extremely good bit of kit. Coupled with my Personal 330mm wheel its nice and close and quality!
Old 28 August 2014, 01:47 PM
ZX-TT
Scooby Regular

Does anyone have a fitting guide for this set up? I have the NRG Short Boss the 2.5 Quick release hub kit and a dished steering wheel, I have never fitted anything like this before and connot figure out the horn wiring with the metal rings? I also have the resister for the air bag.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 28 August 2014, 04:01 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

.SJ.
Old 28 August 2014, 04:58 PM
ZX-TT
Scooby Regular

Seen this one mate but he doesnt wire up the horn? I can put it all together is the wiring thats catching me out.
Old 28 August 2014, 05:01 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Try this one.SJ.
Old 30 August 2014, 05:29 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Blobby
+1 Such a good kit to buy.
and they are great people o deal with! had a issue with my one had they fixed it in a few days
Old 10 September 2014, 10:50 AM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by marcio
I don't know about the clockspring with DCCD plugs... but regarding the distance, those pictures are not very good but may help:

When NRG advertises 'short boss' you'd better believe, they are really short:

With the amount of material I removed, I was able to completely slide the boss into the steering column. You can also see in the picture the back part of the quick release bolted to the short hub.

This is the wheel in place:

(don't worry about the parts missing in the picture. I'm currently working on the car and had to remove them, but everything fits in place without any issues)

If you have a short boss, a quick release and a FLAT style steering wheel, there will be very little to no difference in the distance of the wheel to your body or to the levers compared to the stock steergin wheel, at least in the NRG short hub + 2.5 gen quick release combo as the one I have the distance changed only by a few mm, nothing to worry about.

Cheers,
Marcio

Hi marcio

I have this same set did u figure out a way of keeping the automatic indicator cancel ?? Or do u have to cancel manually ?

Cheers
Old 13 September 2016, 11:42 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz
Hi marcio

I have this same set did u figure out a way of keeping the automatic indicator cancel ?? Or do u have to cancel manually ?

Cheers
Thread revival

Is there any way to get the auto cancel for indicators with this kit?

Cheers
Rich
Old 14 September 2016, 06:21 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Old 15 September 2016, 12:22 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Never did figure out a way of keeping the auto cancel, sorry, I just cancel by hand now :/
Old 15 September 2016, 01:23 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz
Never did figure out a way of keeping the auto cancel, sorry, I just cancel by hand now :/
Old 15 September 2016, 06:33 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

HKB boss FTW!
Old 15 September 2016, 07:00 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
HKB boss FTW!
But my NRG one is the dogs danglies and wouldn't change it,I've learnt to drive without making any turns now so don't really need indicators
Old 15 September 2016, 07:25 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Do you have the NRG short boss, then?

Because if not, I'd flog on the regular NRG boss and replace with the HKB. You won't regret it.

(BTW, I also have the NRG 2.5 quick release on top on the HKB - best of ALL worlds and sh¡t lol. You know it makes sense. )

Last edited by joz8968; 15 September 2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 15 September 2016, 07:38 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

It's the same as the boss in post #9 but in red.
I've lived with manual cancel for over a year now so am pretty much used to it,as long as I can take my steering wheel to bed with me then that's the main thing,auto cancel would be a bonus,I'll take a look at the HKB ones.
Old 15 September 2016, 07:49 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
It's the same as the boss in post #9 but in red.
Yeah, their short ('Italian driver, long reach') boss lol

- I know what you mean, though. You do get used to (put up with) it.

But I always really hankered after it being back to normal. It was only after accidentally stumbling upon a thread that I realised the HKB would give me everything I needed.

I just happened to retain my clockspring (in case I want to return it all back to stock in future). Which was helpful.

Last edited by joz8968; 15 September 2016 at 10:21 PM.