Notices

Battery drain problem

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2014, 10:36 PM
jamesbeaumont
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain problem

Hi guys. I had a problem with my 2001 bugeye over the weekend that I'm hoping someone may have the answer to. There were a few strange symptons. The car started first time after 2 weeks on the Saturday, on the Sunday I jumped in it and the battery was dead and I had to jump it. I went shopping for an hour or so and it started right after then 5 minutes up the road stopped again, to find it the battery was dead again. At no point had the lights or indicators been on.
I then had to jump it again and noticed when on the move that the drivers window wasn't working when the others were (only one with auto up/down) and when I switched the lights on the ignition briefly shorted and the warning lights flashed up on the dash. Later that day the window worked fine...
Could the lights and window symptons be a result of low battery voltage? Any idea what's draining the battery? I guessed a short but can't see how that suddenly happened when the car was sat.

Thanks for your help!
Old 16 April 2014, 02:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

A short of that magnitude would produce either a blown fuse, or over heated wiring somewhere, maybe even a fire.

How old is the battery? it may no longer be able to hold charge, may have "dropped a cell" where one cell in the six no longer works properly, so your voltage is based around 10V instead of 12V...no good.

I'd get battery checked first.
Old 16 April 2014, 02:13 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give the battery a good overnight charge.

The alternator on a car is NOT there to charge up the battery.