Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

MY CLEANED ENGINE BAY!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2008, 04:03 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY CLEANED ENGINE BAY!!

first time ive taken a hose to the engine bay, and i was a little sceptical to say the least.

anyway, first things first, i covered the engine with a dust sheet bought from wilko's for 89p all 12 sq ft of it. didnt get any beofre pics of the bonnet underside. anyways, pressure washer to the under bonnet on high power, and then i sprayed it in sections with autoglym engine degreaser. agitated with a wheel brush and meguiars detailing brush i had lying around. pressure washed again, then wiped dry. then added a layer of gunk engine laquer and ended up with this...

had loads of overspray from being a messy bugger so didnt bother with any more dust sheets for the engine bay, as i was going to re-hose the car down anyways.

so, onto the engine bay. i covered the intercooler with a section of cut out card, and the alternator, alarm housing, battery terminals and maf sensor with tin foil. heres what it looked like before...

because it was warm and windy, i decide to split the bay into two halfs. hosed down with the pressure washer at around 3/4 power and then soaked with the autoglym degreaser. agitated with my brushes left for a couple of mins and then hosed off again.

my version of a 50/50

i then did the other side of the bay the same way and again hosed it down.

i then got a couple of tea towels and tried to dry as many of the little puddles as possible. after this removed the carbboard/tin foil and left the engine running for about 10 mins with the bonnet up and 5-6 mins with it down. this dried the bay of excess water nicely.

i then re-covered the intercooler with the card and the above bits with tin foil again. i sprayed the gunk laquer generously all over the engine bay. i then removed the card and foil once more...

engine back on for a few mins with bonnet up then again with bonnet down.

i gave the bonnet underside another blast with the laquer...

and a final after pic...

admittedly looks better than with the blue hose coverings, and look generally cleaner. not perfect of concours standards, but for a first attempt, not bad i thought.

opinions/comments welcome.

andy
Old 19 June 2008, 04:52 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Great transformation!
Been meaning to do mine. Does it leave any nasty residue on your drive?
Old 19 June 2008, 04:55 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Great transformation!
Been meaning to do mine. Does it leave any nasty residue on your drive?

not that i have seen to be honest. driveway is drying up now. suppose it depends on what you use.
Old 19 June 2008, 06:40 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Good job mate will have to have a go at mine. Sorry that you have to sell up mate. : Good luck for the future
Old 20 June 2008, 07:48 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martin850
Good job mate will have to have a go at mine. Sorry that you have to sell up mate. : Good luck for the future
it isnt that hard actually. just the overspray can be a bitch if the windscreen/wings arent covered. when i sprayed my bonnet the amount of water that collected on the plastic sheet over the engine bay in little pockets was suprising. especially round the intercooler etc.
Old 20 June 2008, 09:14 AM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Good job mate, did mine years ago using CD2 from halfords but they don't stock it now. The autoglym has done a good job, gonna do mine again soon.

simb
Old 20 June 2008, 09:35 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

good job matey, need to do mine too
wiley
Old 21 June 2008, 09:28 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
it isnt that hard actually. just the overspray can be a bitch if the windscreen/wings arent covered. when i sprayed my bonnet the amount of water that collected on the plastic sheet over the engine bay in little pockets was suprising. especially round the intercooler etc.

What did I tell you about the overspray
Anyway a cracking job mate and I am sure you are proud of the achievement you did and it obviously helped the sale of the scoob.

Glad to hear it went to a fellow SN member and good luck in the search for the replacement