Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Aircon removal - before and after!

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2009, 03:02 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Weight saving WRX Project - new seats update

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...9101055&ref=nf - In action!

Mate has a 300bhp Nos powered red top Corsa I have a WRX, we are both getting ready to do battle on the drag strip. I'm Going down the weight saving route with my 03' WRX as it not only aids speed but helps braking, handling, reliability and MPG! The car has been mapped to 218.4 at the wheels (260bhp?) by The Racing Line's Matt on AET's rolling road and is probably powerful enough for street use. (not many straights in Wakefield!)

Anyway first job was to remove the spare wheel, fixings and jack that weighed 17kg, I then replaced the door pillar covers to carbon fibre jobbies after one was stolen! That saved half an ounce lol.

On 11th May 09' the car was booked in for a 5 hour weight reduction session at the Scooby Clinic and here are some before and after pics of the removal of aircon and some metal supports, one support was literally a huge girder that sat at the front of the car. The items that were removed piled up looked like half an engine and must have weighed at least 40kg.

Before:

After:

Scooby clinic pointed out to me my radiator was leaking badly but luckily radweld worked until the local garage fitted a new one free under the cars warranty. The local garage who have probably never worked on a Scoob managed to get my front bumper completely back on too after the work!!!

Next job is fitting Recaro Pole Position bucket seats which will save another 26kg, if any garage is willing to supply and fit them!!!!

Last edited by RS_Matt; 31 July 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12 May 2009, 03:17 PM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ripped out my AC a couple of weeks ago, was being 'rock n roll' lol Never used it as I fitted a JDM roof scoop to mine.

I'm working on going front entry for my FMIC pipes.

Ricey
Old 12 May 2009, 03:31 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Yeah I've never used it tbh and I'm sick of it coming on every time I turn the capable blowers on! Same in the old evo IV too.

Removing aircon too I'm told frees up a couple of BHP as the aircon is belt driven!!! I'm not intending to do track use but maybe the odd drag run and the occasional street launch! so the top intercooler will be fine to keep lag low, temps won't be a factor. Andy Forrest retains his tmic for similar reasons in his road car.
Old 12 May 2009, 03:35 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Revolution supply and fit seats
Old 12 May 2009, 03:42 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Revolution supply and fit seats
Yep! Drove up 100 miles or so about 2 weeks ago. We went for several things, Team Dynamics Pro race alloys - non in stock

Carbon Fibre bonnet - non in stock.

Went to try out the numerous bucket seats they advertise on the website only to find 3 in the showroom, anyway we fell in love with the Recaro Pole Position and said we'd take two - only 1 in stock.

"Can we help you with anything else" they said. "Erm one of my alloys needs balancing as it's juddering to hell" I replied.

5 mins later the lad came back to tell me the mechanics are working to a schedule and can't fit me in.... 100 mile back home we went.

I keep asking a few other tuners etc to help me but none seem to want to help or get back to me.
Old 12 May 2009, 03:48 PM
Scooby Senior

That's a shame, worthy of a call to Keith to ask why, I am sure he would go out of his way to sort you out if he knew you'd had a bad experience
Old 12 May 2009, 04:03 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Is this hard to do? Because im thinking of binning mine because i never use it.
Old 12 May 2009, 04:08 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

was thinking of doing that to my car soon, never used air con in a good year and the car is only used on weekends etc, roof vent and sparco seat at some point. looking at carbon fibre firewall to replace the rear seat that must be 100kg all in
Old 12 May 2009, 04:17 PM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

fairly easy, just need to release the gases at the radiator end once thats done just remove bolts and take away the radiator and the pipes, then remove the AC unit. dead easy.

The Carbon Firewall, thats pricey, but looks the mutts nutts!

Ricey
Old 12 May 2009, 04:32 PM
digitaria
Scooby Regular

You're all mad. Car aircon is a great invention. Good for demisting as well as keeping you cool.

'Course I realise this makes me a wuss and Scoobs aren't about aircon, leather seats, sunroofs and such. But I like my WRX SL!
Old 12 May 2009, 04:59 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
was thinking of doing that to my car soon, never used air con in a good year and the car is only used on weekends etc, roof vent and sparco seat at some point. looking at carbon fibre firewall to replace the rear seat that must be 100kg all in
Where abouts can you get the firewall or were you thinking of making your own?
Old 12 May 2009, 05:03 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't suppose you want to sell me your aircon stuff do you?

I need the rad, condensor and compressor + pipe work . I already have everything else.

I'm only down the road in Donny too
Old 12 May 2009, 06:01 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

You should not be releasing refrigerant gas to the atmosphere
Its actually classed as a criminal offence as you can heavily finned
Old 12 May 2009, 06:06 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
By sharks?
Old 12 May 2009, 06:17 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has no gas in it

When I get a minute that's a job for mine. Does some of the plumbing not enter the car

How easy is it to get the aircon rad past the normal rad - do you need to drain the coolant?

I haven't really looked that closely yet, other that to check that the drive belt is driving anything else.
Old 12 May 2009, 07:14 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
Where abouts can you get the firewall or were you thinking of making your own?
getting the power sorted 1st so it going to be next year at best but found this last night which made me start thinking

Ramsport

Old 12 May 2009, 08:02 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm tempted to remove it from my Type R to be honest.. but I know I'll probably regret it one day!

Wonder how easy it'd be to just slip it into my wagon..
Old 12 May 2009, 08:09 PM
mattpat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
Yep! Drove up 100 miles or so about 2 weeks ago. We went for several things, Team Dynamics Pro race alloys - non in stock

Carbon Fibre bonnet - non in stock.

Went to try out the numerous bucket seats they advertise on the website only to find 3 in the showroom, anyway we fell in love with the Recaro Pole Position and said we'd take two - only 1 in stock.

"Can we help you with anything else" they said. "Erm one of my alloys needs balancing as it's juddering to hell" I replied.

5 mins later the lad came back to tell me the mechanics are working to a schedule and can't fit me in.... 100 mile back home we went.

I keep asking a few other tuners etc to help me but none seem to want to help or get back to me.

To be fair mate i wouldnt have thought that carbon bonnets and seats would be stock items in many places and its a bit urealisitc to expect them to hold stock of every item they advertise in every fitment etc

I have the recaro pole postions in my classic,fantastic seat,had to wait a while for them but worth it and they fabricated the sub frames as well

Give Keith a shout at Revolution,I know he go out of his way to help you and advise of availablity etc and get you booked in and sorted.

cheers
Matt
Old 12 May 2009, 08:13 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
getting the power sorted 1st so it going to be next year at best but found this last night which made me start thinking

Ramsport

Cheers

Saved to my favourites, another thing to add to the list of bits i want.
Old 12 May 2009, 08:27 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

never used my aircon in three years, always forgot as the rear windows are always down!!!

so out it went...................
Old 12 May 2009, 08:32 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

mine doesnt have it from new lol , had it in my old scoob but it never worked lol
Old 12 May 2009, 08:42 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Don't suppose you want to sell me your aircon stuff do you?

I need the rad, condensor and compressor + pipe work . I already have everything else.

I'm only down the road in Donny too
I just told Scooby Clinic to keep it all! They thought I could refit it if I needed to but I think aircon removal could be a good selling point if I ever came to sell, it screams RALLY!

Originally Posted by mattpat
To be fair mate i wouldnt have thought that carbon bonnets and seats would be stock items in many places and its a bit urealisitc to expect them to hold stock of every item they advertise in every fitment etc

I have the recaro pole postions in my classic,fantastic seat,had to wait a while for them but worth it and they fabricated the sub frames as well

Give Keith a shout at Revolution,I know he go out of his way to help you and advise of availablity etc and get you booked in and sorted.

cheers
Matt
I didn't think they'd have it all, but have read that they have the biggest showroom in the UK or something similar, my local Halfords and LKPerformance have bucket seats galore layed out. I thought they'd have 2 seats I'd like.

If nobody else can sort me out I will use Revolution for sure, they told me it would be 3 weeks for the Recaros as they are made to order from Germany. Hope they can get some sliding subframes though!
Old 12 May 2009, 09:08 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

Been thinking about removing ac for a while now but not got round to it.

I removed my rear seats and fittings, tyre, jack etc and that alone improved my 1/4 mile time by 0.4 of a second.
Old 12 May 2009, 09:32 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
Cheers

Saved to my favourites, another thing to add to the list of bits i want.
it on my ever growing list no prob
Old 12 May 2009, 09:51 PM
mattpat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
I just told Scooby Clinic to keep it all! They thought I could refit it if I needed to but I think aircon removal could be a good selling point if I ever came to sell, it screams RALLY!

I didn't think they'd have it all, but have read that they have the biggest showroom in the UK or something similar, my local Halfords and LKPerformance have bucket seats galore layed out. I thought they'd have 2 seats I'd like.

If nobody else can sort me out I will use Revolution for sure, they told me it would be 3 weeks for the Recaros as they are made to order from Germany. Hope they can get some sliding subframes though!

hi

i got the sliding side rails but had to get them to fabricate sub frames,not too bad a job and looks fairy neat may paint the subframes black eventually when get round to it

anyway hope you get it sorted,sorry to hijack your thread

cheers
Matt
Old 12 May 2009, 10:22 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

The air con won't be using any power you'd notice when it's switched off, as the pump has a slipper pulley, so the pumps not spinning all the time.
Old 12 May 2009, 11:24 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm not bothered about weight too much , I'll have close to 600bhp 600ft/lbs when I finally finish it. But the cabin will get fairly hot with that. I've got the correct heater matrix already in the car just needed the pipework and the rad really.
Old 13 May 2009, 01:16 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattpat
hi

i got the sliding side rails but had to get them to fabricate sub frames,not too bad a job and looks fairy neat may paint the subframes black eventually when get round to it

anyway hope you get it sorted,sorry to hijack your thread

cheers
Matt
Nah you havent as those beasts are the next step in the weight saving program! They look to die for in those pics!

Edit: Just ordered them from Revolution, can't wait! they owe you one Matt for enticing me!

Last edited by RS_Matt; 13 May 2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 14 May 2009, 05:14 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

We must state that we did have our Aircon man in to properly remove the gas.

Cheers

Ads
Old 19 June 2009, 07:43 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Had to cancel the recaro order from revolution in Gateshead several days ago as it was 5 weeks since I ordered them and they said it would be 3 weeks. They informed me Recaro hadn't sent them out yet due to the race season demands and that it could be another 3-4 weeks.

They also told me my £750 deposit would definately be refunded within 48 hours, this hasn't been so and I'm very very worried yet another car firm is f**kin me over.

I just don't think tuners want to sell Recaro Pole Positions! I emailed the Scooby Clinic about supplying me a pair and the said speak to us when you come for the aircon removing, when I asked them for the second time that day they said email us.

Last edited by RS_Matt; 10 August 2009 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Aircon removal - before and after!