Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebola Outbreak

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2014, 11:43 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonc
Well if you say they have over-reacted, you don't say how. Normally you're quite descriptive and explicit with examples in pointing out our Government's deficiencies.
The question you should be asking is did I say they had over-reacted or did I say they had the potential to over-react? As I said my answer is there in my explanation. And as you say I am very explicit with my examples when in my opinion they do make an error of judgement so.....
Old 10 October 2014, 12:21 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
The question you should be asking is did I say they had over-reacted or did I say they had the potential to over-react? As I said my answer is there in my explanation. And as you say I am very explicit with my examples when in my opinion they do make an error of judgement so.....
Ok, so the Government haven't over-reacted despite your claim they have a propensity to do so. On the other hand, for someone who has no or of little concern of ebola in the UK, would you not say you're being over-reactionary by advocating banning West Africans from coming to this country?
Old 10 October 2014, 12:30 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Ok, so the Government haven't over-reacted despite your claim they have a propensity to do so. On the other hand, for someone who has no or of little concern of ebola in the UK, would you not say you're being over-reactionary by advocating banning West Africans from coming to this country?
No offence, but I am not really sure what your agenda is here. You seem to be flip flopping from one scope of questioning to another to try and find an 'in', to what end I am unsure. As above my position is pretty clear.

Look if you feel the government are great and never over react or react wrongly to anything then fine, that's up to you. Just because they haven't gone stupid over this doesn't suddenly make them wonderful as far as I am concerned and anyway there is plenty of time yet.

As for the second question I see it as a way to contain the virus at least until we establish how a nurse in a Spanish hospital managed to contract it despite having state of the art protection. If you think that is an over reaction then knock yourself out as I am unlikely to lose sleep over your opinion of me
Old 10 October 2014, 01:20 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

No offence, but I am not really sure what your agenda is here. You seem to be flip flopping from one scope of questioning to another to try and find an 'in', to what end I am unsure. As above my position is pretty clear.

Look if you feel the government are great and never over react or react wrongly to anything then fine, that's up to you. Just because they haven't gone stupid over this doesn't suddenly make them wonderful as far as I am concerned and anyway there is plenty of time yet.

As for the second question I see it as a way to contain the virus at least until we establish how a nurse in a Spanish hospital managed to contract it despite having state of the art protection. If you think that is an over reaction then knock yourself out as I am unlikely to lose sleep over your opinion of me
I don't have an agenda, just trying to understand your view point on the situation, which to me seems to conflict.

You flatter yourself if you think I even have an opinion of you.
Old 10 October 2014, 01:43 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I don't have an agenda, just trying to understand your view point on the situation, which to me seems to conflict.
To me that's because you either struggle with basic logic or have an agenda and as you claim it's not the latter......

You flatter yourself if you think I even have an opinion of you.
Hardly as given my opinion of you your opinion (if you had one of course ) carries no weight
Old 10 October 2014, 01:47 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
Sky on demand are showing 28 days later and 28 weeks later
They missed a trick in the form of Outbreak and Contagion

Whilst I respect Ebola, I'll never forgive it for what it did to Rene Russo. Never ever.
Old 10 October 2014, 02:55 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

To me that's because you either struggle with basic logic or have an agenda and as you claim it's not the latter......
Where's the logic in banning West Africans from entering the UK since you believe it almost impossible/zero risk for an outbreak to occur in the UK? Isn't that a little bit "knee-jerk" and OTT? Not all West Africans are infected surely. Not even the Dail Mail advocates banning West Africans....yet.
Old 12 October 2014, 03:37 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Has anyone contracted it in the US? Obviously (well obviously to most people) if someone with the virus hops on a plane bound for Europe or the US it was going to 'reach' Europe/US. Whether it becomes an 'outbreak' in these regions remains to be seen, but I think I would still rather trust the medical experts than the Daily Mail, but you do whatever you are happy with.

Just because the press write something and it turns out to be true does not mean they are writing with any authority, it just means they got lucky.

Anyway half the posters on here seem ready to work themselves into a lather over something that has not happened yet so I guess they have achieved the desired effect
First case in US outside West Africa.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...ive-for-ebola/
Old 12 October 2014, 04:55 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.................and they were wearing full protective gear. Doesn't sound good

Shaun
Old 14 October 2014, 08:15 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't sound good at all
Old 14 October 2014, 08:37 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Went it starts killing white middle class men, things will start moving

If it started killing politicians, the whole worlds resources would be targeted at it
Old 14 October 2014, 08:39 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Went it starts killing white middle class men, things will start moving
Well that might well be sooner than you think at this rate
Old 15 October 2014, 08:55 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

A second person in Atlanta has been confirmed to be infected with ebola and authorities are now looking to trace 132 passengers she shared a flight with the day before showing signs of the symptoms.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29632433
Old 15 October 2014, 10:02 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I didn't think you were contagious until you actually showed symptoms?
Old 16 October 2014, 09:46 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
I didn't think you were contagious until you actually showed symptoms?
Early symptoms might be just a temperature and feeling bad rather than the horrific later symptoms.

I'm not a Doctor though.

I do work in Gabon at the moment at this does worry me, but no cases here yet. Apparently Nigeria are doing a good job of containing the virus and there hasn't been a case there for 4 weeks or so? This is important 'cos Nigeria is the heavily populated country in the region.

Western countries should stop flights to the infected countries but 'cos of economy' we won't until too late.
Old 16 October 2014, 11:57 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Apparently she had a temperature before getting on the plane, and did even advise the CDC but was still allowed to fly, so potentially she was contagious whilst on that flight.

A Texas nurse who contracted Ebola from the nation’s first victim of the deadly virus was allowed to fly on a commercial airliner by the CDC just hours before she was diagnosed — even though she told them she was running a fever.
http://nypost.com/2014/10/15/dallas-...traveling-cdc/

Last edited by Petem95; 16 October 2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 16 October 2014, 12:32 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

So potentially everyone of those passengers and crew are now are at risk along with everyone they have had contact with since and so the chain expands. And the authorities didn't want to do anything about this to start with? As I suggested previously it's only going to take one infected person in a major city who uses public transport or visits a busy shopping area and the whole thing blows up in the authorities face.

Just because it has 'only' killed 3000-4000 in West Africa that doesn't mean to say it's nothing to worry about, the effect there isn't worse simply because they aren't in built up areas and it's remote villages etc that are suffering the worst. Distance between populations there is self containing the virus.
Old 16 October 2014, 02:24 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Like that episode of '24' when a terrorist purposefully had a biological virus on his hand and shook hands with Mr President - and so it spread.
Old 16 October 2014, 02:34 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

For ****'s sake...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...rt-of-comments
Old 16 October 2014, 03:54 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Errmmm WOW! is that really what the Guardian think...... shakes head!
HTF did that even get published?
Old 16 October 2014, 04:30 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Ebola and racism...Written by a black chick with a real big chip on her shoulder.

http://www.theguardian.com/profile/hannah-giorgis
Old 16 October 2014, 10:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, she has a point
Old 17 October 2014, 11:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I slight overreaction?
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-b...herts-29656462

I'd like to know what the daughter actually thinks and feels about this, as I could see a fair bit of nastiness from other kids because she's been pulled out of school.
Old 17 October 2014, 11:36 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

He looks a bit of a case himself
Old 18 October 2014, 01:10 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just been listening to someone saying what's needed from a material standpoint in West africa, included........5.4million sets of personal protective equipment, 15,000 motorbikes to help spread the preventative message and 200,000 body bags.............

Someone is not optimistic.

Shaun
Old 18 October 2014, 01:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't food be a high priority as well?

I mean if they didn't have to go work / market they wouldn't need to move around , asmuch
Old 18 October 2014, 03:41 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Just been listening to someone saying what's needed from a material standpoint in West africa, included........5.4million sets of personal protective equipment, 15,000 motorbikes to help spread the preventative message and 200,000 body bags.............

Someone is not optimistic.

Shaun
I didn't hear those figure Shaun but you are correct - the future for whole swathes of the population is very bleak indeed. And I mean a million plus dead.

Several times I have heard a quote from WHO saying they had got off to a bad start but once they have sorted the present outbreak they will have an investigation.

FFS don't they realise just how bad it is going to get?

Even from my comfortable armchair I have no ideas of what can be done save the urgent supply of thousands of tents with armed guards keeping victims inside the tents.

And the smug vaccine scientists saying they are speeding up the trials but they have to be sure. Well if I caught Ebola I know what I would want.

Very, very sad.

dl
Old 18 October 2014, 04:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I think it just illustrates how inherently worthless such a large organisation is, theyve spend months arguing how to approach situation correctly, sat nicely behind their 6 figure pay cheque
Old 20 October 2014, 07:51 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Old 20 October 2014, 10:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I thought it was the quick witted determination of a group of doctors and one particular patient that kept Nigeria from the worst of ebola.

So why is the W.H.O. Basking in glory / taking credit for it