Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

IDS announces-voucher system for benefits!

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2014, 08:50 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
What are you going to to about people who evade working by owning rent seeking assets such as property?
And there's me thinking Stalin was dead and gone!
Old 01 October 2014, 09:06 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
And there's me thinking Stalin was dead and gone!
Apparently contributing nothing is a social problem which needs solving.

Not said by me but the poster I was replying to.
Old 01 October 2014, 09:09 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Although ironically, "the state" sanctioning where and what you can buy seems, on some levels at least, pretty Stalinist
Old 01 October 2014, 09:16 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

How to deal with 'the poor' has been an ongoing problem since industralisation in the 19th century. Specifically it becomes a problem with the enclosure acts where by ordinary people were kicked off common land and forced into cities. Capitalism can only be a limited solution to a problem it created in the first place.
Old 01 October 2014, 09:29 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

does anyone seriously ask the question of when did this "benefit culture" appear

when did the notion that it could become a "lifestyle" become so prevalent

some communities have 3 generations that have never worked - crazy

not so long ago communities used to fight for a right to work, not to sit in front of a TV all day

understanding the problem, helps create solutions
Old 01 October 2014, 09:38 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What are you going to to about people who evade working by owning rent seeking assets such as property?
3,2,1...and he's back in the room
Old 01 October 2014, 10:00 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
does anyone seriously ask the question of when did this "benefit culture" appear

when did the notion that it could become a "lifestyle" become so prevalent

some communities have 3 generations that have never worked - crazy

not so long ago communities used to fight for a right to work, not to sit in front of a TV all day

understanding the problem, helps create solutions
There is very little dignity in menial or service sector work; it means you are a failure and a loser and it's all your fault. Your future is to work very hard for barely a subsidence, in conditions of insecurity and uncertainty. God knows when you could retire and what your retirement will look like. This the new Precariat.
Old 01 October 2014, 11:15 AM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
I'd stop dole money too....

No such thing as "unemployed" only not wanting or refusing.

I'd have em out cleaning bogs and scraping chewing gum off the streets, and removing graffiti, want money, earn it....! Would soon stop the claims that's for sure, nothing would focus the mind like been elbow deep in a turd unblocking a bog! They would soon take a menial paid job then!
So what about if you live in, say, Merthyr Tydfil, where the ratio of jsa claimants to vacancies is 32:1? This is the same area that had 30% of males of working age put on long term disability allowance by the Thatcher government after the pit closures because they didn't want them showing up in the unemployment figures. These men were declared surplus to requirements, and are now being demonised by people like you, who actually seem to believe what they read in the gutter press. Get a grip. The vast majority of benefit claimants are totally legit, and people just like you, not a different species.
Old 01 October 2014, 11:59 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sad Weevil
So what about if you live in, say, Merthyr Tydfil, where the ratio of jsa claimants to vacancies is 32:1? This is the same area that had 30% of males of working age put on long term disability allowance by the Thatcher government after the pit closures because they didn't want them showing up in the unemployment figures. These men were declared surplus to requirements, and are now being demonised by people like you, who actually seem to believe what they read in the gutter press. Get a grip. The vast majority of benefit claimants are totally legit, and people just like you, not a different species.

Firstly I'll eply to TDW, to own the property they have worked to have the money to have that asset. They have paid taxes and have paid vat etc the same as everyone else. And will continue to do so on the income achieved through rent...

Now the quoted post -

They are humans, and to earn their benefit regardless of reason for been unemployed should be doing jobs that we do not have enough of/cant afford to get done, such as cleaning graffiti etc, if you want money you should be working for it. So they should be helping the
Old 01 October 2014, 12:11 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Firstly I'll eply to TDW, to own the property they have worked to have the money to have that asset. They have paid taxes and have paid vat etc the same as everyone else. And will continue to do so on the income achieved through rent... I am not going to respond to any further posts on this line of questioning as I know exactly where it is heading and it has been done to death by yourself and many others on here and we aren't discussing this....

Now the quoted post -

They are humans, and to earn their benefit regardless of reason for been unemployed should be doing jobs that we do not have enough of/cant afford to get done, such as cleaning graffiti etc, if you want money you should be working for it. So they should be helping the council in areas such as convenience cleaning, graffiti removal, etc. This leaves the councils workers free to do other tasks and have more budget to spend on other things, such as improvements in education, infrastructure etc. This will also make people care more about their environment and also remove the "scroungers" from the equation because they will either find a job they prefer or stop claiming....

The goverment is paying benefits, so we might as well get something for the money rather than let them sit at home all day contrributing nothing...
Old 01 October 2014, 12:17 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Firstly I'll eply to TDW, to own the property they have worked to have the money to have that asset. They have paid taxes and have paid vat etc the same as everyone else. And will continue to do so on the income achieved through rent...
You can't eat taxes.

Like I said if your argument is that everyone must 'contribute', then manifestly someone living off the rent from an asset isn't. They have their hands in someone else's pocket just the same as 'welfare scum' in the final analysis.
Old 01 October 2014, 12:45 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Hello Tony!
Old 01 October 2014, 12:49 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by zip106
I wouldn't say idiotic, but not thought through.

If claimants are cleaning the streets /bogs etc for 'free', those that now do it as a paid job will be unemployed. And will then claim benefits.

Ad Infinitum...
To be fair i dont think it was his full manifesto,,,,,,,
Old 01 October 2014, 12:56 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Hello Tony!
Beetlejuice.

FFS, he could squeeze 'land grabbing capitalist' into a conversation about badger circumcision, I'm sure.
Old 01 October 2014, 01:08 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Beetlejuice.

FFS, he could squeeze 'land grabbing capitalist' into a conversation about badger circumcision, I'm sure.
Easy
Old 01 October 2014, 03:47 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I used to find it annoying but I genuinely find it funny now, he makes me chuckle every time.
Old 01 October 2014, 03:53 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

They are humans, and to earn their benefit regardless of reason for been unemployed should be doing jobs that we do not have enough of/cant afford to get done, such as cleaning graffiti etc, if you want money you should be working for it. So they should be helping the council in areas such as convenience cleaning, graffiti removal, etc. This leaves the councils workers free to do other tasks and have more budget to spend on other things, such as improvements in education, infrastructure etc. This will also make people care more about their environment and also remove the "scroungers" from the equation because they will either find a job they prefer or stop claiming....
The goverment is paying benefits, so we might as well get something for the money rather than let them sit at home all day contrributing nothing...
Just how many public bogs do you think are left in Merthyr? (and we don't call it graffiti in Bristol, we call it Street Art, and it sells for hundreds of thousands of pounds )
There are simply not enough jobs to go round in some areas. A lot of the jobs that are available don't pay enough for even basic needs, let alone any luxuries. Forget running a car. Maybe the media should be making a fuss about this, instead of whipping up a storm of ill-informed hatred for benefit claimants. Try living on what you would get in benefits for a month, then tell me you'd be happy cleaning bogs all day, whilst thinking about tax dodging by the rich, and private landlords raking it in for doing f all.
Old 01 October 2014, 05:04 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

a large percentage of those benefits go to people in work btw

but maybe for the feckless rest we should bring back the "poor house" of the 17th and 18th century - now that would be progress tinged with "traditional" values
Old 01 October 2014, 08:12 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Just how many public bogs do you think are left in Merthyr? (and we don't call it graffiti in Bristol, we call it Street Art, and it sells for hundreds of thousands of pounds )
There are simply not enough jobs to go round in some areas. A lot of the jobs that are available don't pay enough for even basic needs, let alone any luxuries. Forget running a car. Maybe the media should be making a fuss about this, instead of whipping up a storm of ill-informed hatred for benefit claimants. Try living on what you would get in benefits for a month, then tell me you'd be happy cleaning bogs all day, whilst thinking about tax dodging by the rich, and private landlords raking it in for doing f all.
I have lived on considerably less....

If you don't want to go clean bogs then you can always go find a better or different job.. There are hundreds of thousands of jobs that need doing, that nobody does, scraping chewing gum off the street etc would be a never ending job but the council don't have the resources or money to be able to do it...
Old 01 October 2014, 08:23 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

I have lived on considerably less....
When I was a lad we used to suck the p1ss of the toilet floor.....

It is 2014 not 1897 you moron

Humanity put a man on the moon 40 years ago - some fvcking progress we have made since then
Old 01 October 2014, 08:51 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

As someone who employs individuals, I would say that the majority of people I see as applicants for vacancies are simply unemployable.

Even though the job on offer is classed as 'unskilled' I won't employ someone who a) turns up late for an interview b) can't spell or provide a reasonably literate CV c) attends an interview dressed like a chav.

Only last week I had a 21 year old call in asking whether we had any work as he was desperate, admiring his initiative I offered him a days trial (paid) he simply didn't even turn up, no call, no text, nothing.

I'm sorry but life is too comfortable for some without having to work. No job means the following-

1. No car - get the bus or walk
2. No sky tv
3. No iphone - an argos payg will do fine
4. No overseas holidays - you haven't done anything to need one.
5. No designer trainers - asda do some nice footwear for under £10
6. No nights out on the **** - stay in like the rest of us.

So in response to the original post, good on you IDS - it's a step in the right direction.

Last edited by pflowers; 01 October 2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01 October 2014, 09:06 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Beetlejuice.

Priceless!
Old 01 October 2014, 09:39 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pflowers
As someone who employs individuals, I would say that the majority of people I see as applicants for vacancies are simply unemployable.

Even though the job on offer is classed as 'unskilled' I won't employ someone who a) turns up late for an interview b) can't spell or provide a reasonably literate CV c) attends an interview dressed like a chav.

Only last week I had a 21 year old call in asking whether we had any work as he was desperate, admiring his initiative I offered him a days trial (paid) he simply didn't even turn up, no call, no text, nothing.

I'm sorry but life is too comfortable for some without having to work. No job means the following-

1. No car - get the bus or walk
2. No sky tv
3. No iphone - an argos payg will do fine
4. No overseas holidays - you haven't done anything to need one.
5. No designer trainers - asda do some nice footwear for under £10
6. No nights out on the **** - stay in like the rest of us.

So in response to the original post, good on you IDS - it's a step in the right direction.
+1

mb
Old 01 October 2014, 10:18 PM
angel1368
Scooby Regular

Can we really see this scheme take off?
Old 01 October 2014, 10:58 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Wink

So? Life is disruptive, find a different job would be my solution!

There is really no reason why a lot of people even disabled cannot work....
Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Agree. Our little boy is borderline autistic and me/the Mrs have to work full time. It means he spends time with other people rather than falling into too many damaging routines and patterns.
I never realised you were disabled. That ZZ Topp beard you were growing did make me suspicious, but ....

My missus is considered disabled by the NHS, who she works for full time, however, even with the NHS recognising this, she wouldn't be able to get disability allowances, a blue badge or even light duties. It makes me shake my head in frustration when I see her crawl through the front door in exhaustion after a day of dealing with benefit scroungers and losers at the hospital who have injured themselves doing stupid/illegal things, who should be working, yet she still manages to work full time, for little thanks, just so these plebs can be mobile enough to make it to the dole office to sign on again.

Make these ****s shop in Lidl or Spar - Aldi is too good for them - and make sure there is no way these ***** can spend the funds on the cards and then swap it with someone else.

Or simply, scrap all benefits. Survival of the fittest.
Old 01 October 2014, 11:02 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
When I was a lad we used to suck the p1ss of the toilet floor.....

It is 2014 not 1897 you moron

Humanity put a man on the moon 40 years ago - some fvcking progress we have made since then

It's called devolution, isn't it?
Old 01 October 2014, 11:30 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I never realised you were disabled. That ZZ Topp beard you were growing did make me suspicious, but ....

My missus is considered disabled by the NHS, who she works for full time, however, even with the NHS recognising this, she wouldn't be able to get disability allowances, a blue badge or even light duties. It makes me shake my head in frustration when I see her crawl through the front door in exhaustion after a day of dealing with benefit scroungers and losers at the hospital who have injured themselves doing stupid/illegal things, who should be working, yet she still manages to work full time, for little thanks, just so these plebs can be mobile enough to make it to the dole office to sign on again.

Make these ****s shop in Lidl or Spar - Aldi is too good for them - and make sure there is no way these ***** can spend the funds on the cards and then swap it with someone else.

All benefits?

Pensions?
NHS?
Education?
Old 02 October 2014, 09:48 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angel1368
Can we really see this scheme take off?
No, it's electioneering and nothing more. Typical Tory nonsense. Cameron even blamed Labour for the global financial crisis in his speech yesterday.
Old 05 October 2014, 02:13 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
That's fine, see you in the Colosseum. Sword or spear?
Old 05 October 2014, 02:15 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Beetlejuice.

I'm not sure who you're talking about. I've never used such rhetoric.

Quick Reply: IDS announces-voucher system for benefits!